1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
173,000 miles and counting!
By amy47 on 02/24/12 12:21 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 4dr Minivan

I love this van. No major problems other than replacing a few water pumps and the starter once and the A/C; otherwise, just routine maintenance. I have had absolutely no reliability problems until I hit 170,000 miles. Now I have occasional electrical problems that won't allow the car to start about once a month. So far the mechanic can't find the problem, but we're working on it. I want to see how far she goes! She may not be the flashiest or the most powerful minivan out there, but she has my admiration for her longevity and relatively problem-free service.

best van dodge
By jasonw120 on 08/30/11 15:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

this is my 2nd van 1st was a 1997 voyager mini van, the thing was awsum , i bought it for 100 bucks 140 k miles on it knew trany owner told me tranny was bad replaced it 160k miles had to replace motor ran like a tank in snow, durung pa,s snowmagaden storm in 2009 i damn near used as a snowpow i couldent get stuck if i tryed, i volunteer for fire dept and red cross and took 7 people to shelter during heat of storm with 2 feet of snow on groundm, did not have any problems at all, finly a 1998 dodge grand sport with 180k on it fell in to my lap, it was a fleet leased and company mantined van it is great looken no rust still looks new man dose it got balls to for a van, great van love it

Great van
By Not my first rodeo on 02/06/10 20:32 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought it new in '98, it now has 179k on it with only the normal maintenance. The local Grease Monkey franchise flushed the transmission at 120k and cracked the lines which blew out all the fluid while on a trip to Nashville. Time for a new tranny at my expense as they accepted no blame even though they admitted they'd cracked the lines. Go figure that one. Only complaint is the headlights don't put out a lot of light, otherwise everything has worked since day one. I'd recommend the Caravan to anyone.

Love it , But eh....
By Daniel_Lee on 12/31/09 11:51 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

well I love This van I have had multiple cravans, But this is my first ES with the 3.8 and damn this thing hauls balls it has the tow package 17 in wheels tan leather and auto headlamps, remote start(aftermarket) This van is amazing for all the family. kids love it I Love driving it personally My wife doesn't like how I drive but what can I say It corners well never got stuck love the traction control , not a fan of it locking when keys are in ignition locks when you shut any slider or passenger door its weird but oh well just make sure I have the keys on me ^_^ been problem free routine maintenance one new transmission because the other was faulty

My covered wagon
By Jay on 12/14/09 10:35 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Even though I had to replace the transmission at about 117K miles, I've not regretted buying this vehicle at all. It is my pick-up truck with a permanent cover on the back. I can put 10 ft. boards in here and close the back door. Same thing is true with 8x4 plywood which lays flat. The back seats are very rarely in the vehicle as I use it as a truck most of the time. WARNING!! That intermittent dashboard (gauges, ligt, etc.) is NOT a computer problem. The solder connections on the back of the instruments panel are what's causing the problem. I re-soldered mine at about 108K and they have been solid ever since. I love my van/truck/covered wagon!!

98 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Sport
By Indiana Bob on 11/21/09 18:27 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought in Sept of '99 after birth of twins, with 22k on it. Now it has 120k. Trans went out at 36K and 38K (covered under waranty). Went through instrument panel controllor and 2 engine computers (@$400 and $600); which is very unusal (I am spoiled by having driven Subaru for 30 years with excelent reliability). Have replaced muffer and starter which is normal; heater hoses went out last week ($600). Build quality is and interior materials less than asian cars. Will most likely not buy Dodge again.

Should have bought the big warranty!
By TimfromCA on 08/23/09 03:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Loved the new van at first - until the first transmission went (at only 50k miles). The replacement trans was bad before it even left service! Had probs with sqeaky seats, noisy struts, computer went out at 110k - and the brakes... Brakes don't have nearly enough stopping pwr due (I guess) to poor design. Went thru at least 7 pad changes and 3 sets of rotors in 135k. Lastly, the paint clear coat started disintegrating last year - apparently I wasn't the only one to experience this, just take a close look at the late 90's Green models and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

DODGE TRANSMISSIONS ARE THE WORST
By SteveRT on 08/08/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I have place 2 transmissions into this van, These transmissions have a design flaw that allows an internal pin break free. When it does it will bust right through the housing and then you can't even rebuild it. Chrysler knows about this. There is a repair kit that Chrysler offers that will hold that pin in place on a rebuild. I didn't find out about it until I put the third transmission in. has worked great ever since and I gave this van to my father in law to drive over a year ago. Picked up a 96 for the wife to drive . Transmission went in it too. Don't waste your time on Chrysler. this is why their new cars offer a lifetime warranty on drivetrain.

Good Quality
By valkerie55 on 06/20/09 10:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Purchased Caravan used with 48,000 miles in 2003. Traded vehicled in 2008 with 135,000 miles for a Chrysler T&C Touring. Best vehicle we had for the long traveling for the past 5 years. All I had to do was change the oil, 2 brake changes, 4 new tires (1x) and routine maintenance. Good power, transported 4-6 people for soccer games, basketball, New York, New England area and Florida. It was the best workhorse. Hopefully, Fiat will revive Chrysler products for the future.

My best minivan
By Charlie on 05/16/09 22:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I buy this minivan 4 years ago, I do a lot of things in there; I use it like a cargo van-I put in there 12 people and 15 backpaks-, for traveling, a few off road sessions, it's so roomy, I love all that space. Yes I had some problems, but it was my fault, so I don't think that it was a bad car.