Used 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

mine
By bry521125

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

new tranny @50k much too soon! Rides very nice on highway and in city. Plenty of room for our family and for weekend trips.

infinity radio system

have transmission last longer thank 50k

90k and out for me, thanks.
By hokietxn

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

Bought new 1997 Grand Caravan SE with 5-year, 100k service. Great ride, good mileage, modest power, seats easy to remove/install, huge cargo capacity. Changed oil every 3k and followed service schedule at dealers for the first five years. Headaches (all after warranty): A/C compressor and dryer died, front rotors replaced, still act "warped". (Dealer) Battery recently shorted and damaged the starter. Phantom wipers, console rattle, "heavy" sliding door. Planning to sell before I loose my first transmission.

Driver-side sliding door, cargo capacity, good ride.

Mechanical and build quality. Brigts are a joke. I'm afraid of loosing the transmission like so many others. I think my problems are just beginning.

Whats wrong with american cars?
By Warren

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan AWD

This car has major reliability problems, I have replaced the battery, the altenator, the water pump, the device that raises and lowers the driverside window, a starter, and now I need to fix head and valve gaskets, a 600.00 repair. we bought the vehicle new and I haven't driven it for more then 6 months without having to do some sort of repair. A 7 year old vehicle with 65,000 miles on it shouldn't be costing me an average of 1,000 a year to maintain. American car companies better wake up or companies like honda, toyota, and new arrivals like kia, and hyundai are going to put them out of business.

Excellent for carrying people and things around. Enormous amounts of room inside. ie, me, my wife, and 3 kids drove from our home in CT to Outer Banks in NC with a weeks worth of vacation supplies easily and comfortably

MAJOR reliability and quality problems...probably a little underpowered for so big a vehicle.

Read reviews before you buy a vehicle
By spidey

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

We have had nothing but problems with this van. On the drive home, the van would lose power and then a second later start going again. We didn't think anything of it until smoke poured out of the hood when the a/c compressor locked up. We have 3 brake jobs on the van, air compressor, serpentine belt, tune-up, fuel filter, rear drive shaft, tie-rods, sway bar bushings, sway bar, front struts...is that all....and at the moment the van is in the garage having a bearing replaced somewhere in the drive train. The mechanic also said the boots on the rear drive shaft are torn already! This vehicle has sucked us dry to the tune of $5k.

comfortable ride, AWD

Reliability and quality,

97 Dodge Caravan Sport--Great Van
By dthueson

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

I have had excellent service with this car. Have only had a few minor problems. Mechanically has been sound.

Size, load carrying ability, quiet! on hiway!