1997 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
What a Lemon! On to Toyota!
By Andrew561 on 11/09/04 12:11 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan AWD

We bought this second hand 1997 Grand Caravan LE AWD with 30k klm's on it. Now it has 84,000 km on it and it's literally falling apart. Rusting, brakes, transmission, phantom wipers, electrical, underbody rust etc....it's simply pathetic the problems this relatively new car has. Already this year, we've dropped approx $3,000 into it, figuring it's the cost, but a pattern was starting to develop where this thing was simply not reliable. Then the van starting mysteriously not starting or just going "click" and turning of!Then, the gears starting malfunctioning, put the van in Reverse and it goes forward! Drove it to Toyota the other day and traded it in...bubye

great vehicle
By jomare on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle now has 330000km and is still going strong (original engine, original transmission

Bought Used I doubt I'll buy another
By YesAwaken on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Good looking van. Dodge will probably never make anything close to this style.

1997 Dodge Gr. Caravan
By thehurd on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

We have driven Dodge/Plymouth vans like this for years, and this was our third, used with 78,000 mi when we got it. Though older models had transmission troubles, we had none. Now I am selling as family is downsizing with 2 college students. Carried cargo, kids and mixes of both.

LOTS of Problems
By AEJ070897 on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

New trans at 50,139--broke without any warning (just over the warranty)but Chrysler did split half the cost. Now we have problem with the AC compressor, wiper going on for no reason at all, engine light comes on for no reason. Not very reliablemechanically but nice vehicle to look at. I would only purchase if you plan on keeping it less than 3 yrs. or if you like to look at in your drive.

So-so Van
By CAS on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Bought a 97 Es extended and for the first 4-5 years the car had so many problems. The worst was the CD Player. Also, right before a stoplight the brakes blew out!! Chrysler needs to work on reliabilty.

1997 dodge Grand Caravan
By CJPorter on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

For a family with lots of kids and prjects, the dodge grand caravan cannot be beat. I've even hauled a washer and dryer in together with the back seats removed. I love my caravan

Not Bad!
By kekers on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

The first year we had the van, we had to get work done on the electrical system (crossed wires). No other mechanical problems in 102000 miles. Quite difficult to change own spark plugs. We do have the 'phantom wipers', but that is not really a problem. I still get the same average gas mileage today as I did when I bought it almost 7 years ago (~20mpg). I have also used the back to haul drywall/couches,etc. Overall, not bad.

Worst Car On The Market?
By BillBittman on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan AWD

Chrysler should be ashamed for marketing this vehicle. Athough it has an attractive exterior (for a van), it is a mechanical nightmare. We have been through several recalls. The transmission problems are infamous. This is the worst car I've ever owned-- even worse than my 1991 Ford Taurus wagon (which dropped a transmission at 50,000 miles). If you are looking for a used van, do yourself a favor and buy a late-model Honda or Toyota. You will pay a little more, but you will spend at lot less on repairs. I will never buy another Chrylser product.

Good Van
By John Lau on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

We had a choice of buying a new, bare- bones van, or a used one with options. We saw this and decided that we wanted the nicer things that it had. It never left us stranded, and it was dependable. It handled well for a van, it looked good, and it was loaded. There were never any rattles or squeaks, and except for the CD player (which stopped working two years ago), everything held up just fine.