Used 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Loved it and miss it alot!
By bmccune

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

This was my first car and I paid $200 for it in 2009. During the time I owned this vehicle the only things that I had to replace were the fuel pump and the water pump. It had just about 200k miles on it and I trusted it to take me anywhere. It never died on me and always started right up. Went to trade it in at a dealership and the guy told me he wouldnt do it because the tranny was gonna go out of it because they are known for it. He got mad when I laughed in his face. The tranny had never been replaced and never gave me any issues at all. Would love to own another one. I had a 1999 Plymouth grand voyager and that thing was very solid aswell. Took a bad beating from the previous owner.

Serpentine Belt is a real snake
By Pathy

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

I bought used vehicle at 100K miles. Now it is at 150K miles. Drove across Texas several times with family, it never let us down. Recently while driving in town in rain, the serpentine belt came off. A month earlier I had replace the rack. Still I feel uncomfortable of its steering. It is loosing power steering intermittently in slow driving. Trying get rid of it soon

Favorite Features

Interior roominess and there are NO PITS of 'stow n Go' features. I like the flat floor. That is why I kept it.

Suggested Improvements

Current Grand Caravan model is NO GOOD. Dodge should manufacture Grand Caravans with 1997 Grand Caravan ES style with current engine and parts.

Nice van - looking for a new one!
By Steel

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

We had an older boxy-style (1994) Caravan, and when we bought the new model, my wife said it was the best "car" she ever owned. Smoother body panels are very appealing. Seats remove easily (although are heavy to lift). You can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat inside when seats are out (very handy). Mileage was about 18 city/ 25 highway - great for a van. Body lean on curves is a little annoying, but expected for a tall vehicle. Well designed layout. Tall seats are very comfortable. Visibility is great.

Favorite Features

Removable seats, lots of cargo room, dual sliding doors, reliable engine. Extra storage drawer under passenger seat. Wide back hatch opening.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's side strut tower rusts easily and is a $200 repair. Driver's CV shaft is also prone to breaking. Otherwise, great car! Passenger seat has back/forth adjustment (???) - annoying again. Second row seat windows that open would be good (for the dogs).

500 $ every 6months in repair is routine
By fannaba

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

Performance is as expected from a minivan. frequent annoying problems are the major drawback. Breaks are soft, with below average stopping power. I love the space, the captain seats, and the dual air conditioning, with front, and back ducts.

Favorite Features

Cheap to buy, lots of features that you have to pay $$ for in other brands. However, all that is probably offset by the poor reliability, and frequent need for repair.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, more reliability for God's sake. Visiting the dealer twice a year for repairs is not only costly, but also annoying, and time consuming. This vehicle gives no warning of impending trouble.

The Best Vehicle for Families
By iamheumann

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 4dr Minivan

A great buy for families. Our children have grown up and we no longer would need a van, but it was the best when we purchased it in 1997. Interior room and features were great. I still like its exterior style and shape. Engine quality could have been better...too many repairs and problems over the years. "Old Blue" is almost retired, but we now rent newer model Grand Caravans when we take long trips and still enjoy the experience.

Favorite Features

With seating for 7 and plenty of room in the "way back", we transported children, gardening supplies, Christmas trees, etc. with no problem. Smooth ride; easy to drive. Plenty of room for everything including a TV between front captain's chairs. It was a pioneer with 4 doors.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge, hopefully, has made improvements in the areas in which we consistently have problems-brakes, transmission, endless squeaky belts, windshield wipers that have a mind of their own, radiator repairs, and poor acceleration with A/C on. BUT, we do love our old van now with 153,000+ miles.