1997 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Solid Experience
By MJ on 02/21/10 10:56 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

Just traded in this van as a single owner after 165k miles. All in all a very solid van. We've taken it on many long distance trips and have never been left stranded. Major issues we dealt with over the years included a failing battery (very early on and covered by warranty), two replaced water pumps, and a failed radiator fan relay. I wouldn't say brakes were an "issue", but they (fronts) did need to be replaced about every 30k miles. I did some of the work myself and found the vehicle highly serviceable. Honda and the other imports may be considered more reliable, but replacement parts much more expensive. We promptly addressed any suspected issues and never had a major breakdown.

the ultimate people mover
By John Edward on 04/07/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

We bought the car with over 90,000 miles on the clock, and it now boasts over 220,000, and the engine has never been opened up, the transmission has never given us grief (though we service the tranny every 20K. We get a consistent 23.56 mpg and always use regular fuel, changing the 10w40 good quality oil every 3K miles. The only mechanical problems in ten years have been a malfunction in the aftermarket remote locking/alarm system, and a pesky serpentine belt that has left the scene of the crime twice in ten years. We're now looking at changing gaskets and hoses because it's a regular thing.

Very Reliable, Great Mileage
By Very Pleased on 07/08/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I have owned this van for about a year, and it has always been very reliable. I bought it used with about 90,000 miles on it, and it runs like it is still new. My average miles per gallon is between 22-26. What more can you ask for from a minivan? It has never let me down and I have only had to do routine matinence (brakes, tires, oil changes, etc.). I would purchace another one in the future.

Love my Caravan
By Andra on 10/25/06 21:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This is the 2nd Caravan that we have had. The first left us for a new home with 215K. This one has 181K and is still trucking. It has a new transmission. The only thing that I don't care for with in comparing the '97 with the '89 was that you lost head room when they rounded it. I liked it better squared off. We get good gas mileage, about 26 highway, 22 around town. It has been a good, reliable car.

My first of three
By Deere1939B on 12/23/05 12:56 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I also needed a larger vehicle for a growing family. Looked at Ford and Mopar, and went with this because of recommendations. Has been a very good vehicle for 4 years. Bought it with 56K, and now have 165K on it. Had some normal mech maintenance, including valve job, gas tank fuel pump, serpentine idler bracket, etc. It is still fairly easy to work on, but then I got the Dodge shop manual. The book is worth it's weight in gold. Only thing I really don't like is the headlights. They become opaque and crystalized with age. $200 for a new one? I think not. It does everything. I haven't used my pickup for three years because I pull a trailer with the van, with loads of room inside.

Good to us.
By KarenP on 03/03/05 17:06 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I noticed that other reviewers had transmission problems. We had NO problems with anything on this van during the time we owned it. At 103,000 miles, our mechanic suggested trading in as he could tell it would need a valve job and possible motor overhaul in the next 6 months or so. Since the blue book was not worth a $3000 motor job, we traded for a 2005 GC SXT. If it had not been for a major overhaul pending I would have kept it much longer. We were extremely pleased with our overall experience with this van. Loved it.

Trading Down?
By Sheryl on 01/01/05 23:48 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 97 Dodge Grand Caravan in November of 03. I was driving a 01 GMC Yukon, and I needed to cut my expenses. Having four kids with friends eliminated a 5 passenger sedan and the only thing left that would fit my needs and my budget was this Grand Caravan. It was in immaculate condition but it had 109k miles on it. After signing the papers, I got in my "new" van and started it. The digital read out reminded me again of the high miles and at that moment, I closed my eyes and said "God, This is my new van with only 9k miles on it, a program vehicle, right??" One year and 30K miles later I can say kuddos to Dodge. Great ride and gas mileage.

Not Bad!
By kekers on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

The first year we had the van, we had to get work done on the electrical system (crossed wires). No other mechanical problems in 102000 miles. Quite difficult to change own spark plugs. We do have the 'phantom wipers', but that is not really a problem. I still get the same average gas mileage today as I did when I bought it almost 7 years ago (~20mpg). I have also used the back to haul drywall/couches,etc. Overall, not bad.

mine
By bry521125 on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

new tranny @50k much too soon! Rides very nice on highway and in city. Plenty of room for our family and for weekend trips.

No Major Complaints
By RRJ on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

Bought the van with 68k mi about 16 mos ago (now has 82K). Transmission oil looked a little dark at the time--had it flushed before I would purchase van. Since then, had small problems, but overall, have been happy with the van. Problems include a starter that went out at 79k miles, CD player plays sporadically, and broken connector in cable running from antenna to radio. It also burns more oil than I prefer (one qt per 2000 mi +/-). So far, have experienced none of the major problems listed in other reviews. Is very comfortable, starts/runs well and has served well during my ownership.