1997 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Loved it and miss it alot!
By bmccune on 11/15/11 02:34 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

This was my first car and I paid $200 for it in 2009. During the time I owned this vehicle the only things that I had to replace were the fuel pump and the water pump. It had just about 200k miles on it and I trusted it to take me anywhere. It never died on me and always started right up. Went to trade it in at a dealership and the guy told me he wouldnt do it because the tranny was gonna go out of it because they are known for it. He got mad when I laughed in his face. The tranny had never been replaced and never gave me any issues at all. Would love to own another one. I had a 1999 Plymouth grand voyager and that thing was very solid aswell. Took a bad beating from the previous owner.

Serpentine Belt is a real snake
By Pathy on 07/23/10 13:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I bought used vehicle at 100K miles. Now it is at 150K miles. Drove across Texas several times with family, it never let us down. Recently while driving in town in rain, the serpentine belt came off. A month earlier I had replace the rack. Still I feel uncomfortable of its steering. It is loosing power steering intermittently in slow driving. Trying get rid of it soon

Nice van - looking for a new one!
By Steel on 01/05/09 13:57 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

We had an older boxy-style (1994) Caravan, and when we bought the new model, my wife said it was the best "car" she ever owned. Smoother body panels are very appealing. Seats remove easily (although are heavy to lift). You can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat inside when seats are out (very handy). Mileage was about 18 city/ 25 highway - great for a van. Body lean on curves is a little annoying, but expected for a tall vehicle. Well designed layout. Tall seats are very comfortable. Visibility is great.

500 $ every 6months in repair is routine
By fannaba on 05/15/06 14:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Performance is as expected from a minivan. frequent annoying problems are the major drawback. Breaks are soft, with below average stopping power. I love the space, the captain seats, and the dual air conditioning, with front, and back ducts.

The Best Vehicle for Families
By iamheumann on 05/27/05 15:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

A great buy for families. Our children have grown up and we no longer would need a van, but it was the best when we purchased it in 1997. Interior room and features were great. I still like its exterior style and shape. Engine quality could have been better...too many repairs and problems over the years. "Old Blue" is almost retired, but we now rent newer model Grand Caravans when we take long trips and still enjoy the experience.

Bought Used I doubt I'll buy another
By YesAwaken on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Good looking van. Dodge will probably never make anything close to this style.

1997 Dodge Gr. Caravan
By thehurd on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

We have driven Dodge/Plymouth vans like this for years, and this was our third, used with 78,000 mi when we got it. Though older models had transmission troubles, we had none. Now I am selling as family is downsizing with 2 college students. Carried cargo, kids and mixes of both.

So-so Van
By CAS on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Bought a 97 Es extended and for the first 4-5 years the car had so many problems. The worst was the CD Player. Also, right before a stoplight the brakes blew out!! Chrysler needs to work on reliabilty.

1997 dodge Grand Caravan
By CJPorter on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

For a family with lots of kids and prjects, the dodge grand caravan cannot be beat. I've even hauled a washer and dryer in together with the back seats removed. I love my caravan

Good Van
By John Lau on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

We had a choice of buying a new, bare- bones van, or a used one with options. We saw this and decided that we wanted the nicer things that it had. It never left us stranded, and it was dependable. It handled well for a van, it looked good, and it was loaded. There were never any rattles or squeaks, and except for the CD player (which stopped working two years ago), everything held up just fine.