1997 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Loved it and miss it alot!
By bmccune on 11/15/11 02:34 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

This was my first car and I paid $200 for it in 2009. During the time I owned this vehicle the only things that I had to replace were the fuel pump and the water pump. It had just about 200k miles on it and I trusted it to take me anywhere. It never died on me and always started right up. Went to trade it in at a dealership and the guy told me he wouldnt do it because the tranny was gonna go out of it because they are known for it. He got mad when I laughed in his face. The tranny had never been replaced and never gave me any issues at all. Would love to own another one. I had a 1999 Plymouth grand voyager and that thing was very solid aswell. Took a bad beating from the previous owner.

Serpentine Belt is a real snake
By Pathy on 07/23/10 13:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I bought used vehicle at 100K miles. Now it is at 150K miles. Drove across Texas several times with family, it never let us down. Recently while driving in town in rain, the serpentine belt came off. A month earlier I had replace the rack. Still I feel uncomfortable of its steering. It is loosing power steering intermittently in slow driving. Trying get rid of it soon

Long time fan
By urbanrob on 05/09/10 16:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

This is my third Dodge Caravan and the best of them. I've been driving this 1997 for 80k+ miles and I keep it in good condition with regular maintenance. The steering rack is the only major part that needed replacing. With 4 kids and a lot of very local driving, this is perfect for mom. The car is spacious, comfortable and easy to drive. Mine is AWD, which brings additional comfort in traction during wet or snowy weather. Very happy with it.

Solid Experience
By MJ on 02/21/10 10:56 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

Just traded in this van as a single owner after 165k miles. All in all a very solid van. We've taken it on many long distance trips and have never been left stranded. Major issues we dealt with over the years included a failing battery (very early on and covered by warranty), two replaced water pumps, and a failed radiator fan relay. I wouldn't say brakes were an "issue", but they (fronts) did need to be replaced about every 30k miles. I did some of the work myself and found the vehicle highly serviceable. Honda and the other imports may be considered more reliable, but replacement parts much more expensive. We promptly addressed any suspected issues and never had a major breakdown.

Nice van - looking for a new one!
By Steel on 01/05/09 13:57 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

We had an older boxy-style (1994) Caravan, and when we bought the new model, my wife said it was the best "car" she ever owned. Smoother body panels are very appealing. Seats remove easily (although are heavy to lift). You can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat inside when seats are out (very handy). Mileage was about 18 city/ 25 highway - great for a van. Body lean on curves is a little annoying, but expected for a tall vehicle. Well designed layout. Tall seats are very comfortable. Visibility is great.

the ultimate people mover
By John Edward on 04/07/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

We bought the car with over 90,000 miles on the clock, and it now boasts over 220,000, and the engine has never been opened up, the transmission has never given us grief (though we service the tranny every 20K. We get a consistent 23.56 mpg and always use regular fuel, changing the 10w40 good quality oil every 3K miles. The only mechanical problems in ten years have been a malfunction in the aftermarket remote locking/alarm system, and a pesky serpentine belt that has left the scene of the crime twice in ten years. We're now looking at changing gaskets and hoses because it's a regular thing.

10 Year Old Crossover Vehicle?
By Ron Irwin on 12/06/07 12:57 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

Well, sometimes when you wait long enough, things come back into style. All wheel drive, seats seven, lots of storage. Crossover vehicle? No. My 10 year old AWD minivan? Yes. I've been salivating over the new crossovers, but my van fills the same function, so guess I'll just keep it. 244000 miles and runs like a new one. Original engine with just normal maitenance. Tranny replaced after 200000 miles. I may never need to buy another car!

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport
By Shoe on 09/10/07 14:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Overall great vehicle. Maintainance has been normal and the Dodge dealers I've had to deal with have been great too (I'm military, so have moved around a bit). The engine has held up well and the only real disapointment I've had is that the a/c went bad and had to be replaced. I've been coast to coast and from Florida to New Hampshire with no major probems. Will likely consider a Grand Caravan again.

Very Reliable, Great Mileage
By Very Pleased on 07/08/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

I have owned this van for about a year, and it has always been very reliable. I bought it used with about 90,000 miles on it, and it runs like it is still new. My average miles per gallon is between 22-26. What more can you ask for from a minivan? It has never let me down and I have only had to do routine matinence (brakes, tires, oil changes, etc.). I would purchace another one in the future.

Love my Caravan
By Andra on 10/25/06 21:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This is the 2nd Caravan that we have had. The first left us for a new home with 215K. This one has 181K and is still trucking. It has a new transmission. The only thing that I don't care for with in comparing the '97 with the '89 was that you lost head room when they rounded it. I liked it better squared off. We get good gas mileage, about 26 highway, 22 around town. It has been a good, reliable car.