Used 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Great Van
By Jerry

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3dr Minivan

I wouldn't own another American made van. It has served our family well, has taken some abuse and keeps right on going.

It holds the road better than any other minivan I've driven.

More space to change the back three spark plugs. Impossible to be done at home as is.

First Year
By LEJ

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

This is a nice looking, but poorly engineered vehicle! The old saying about not buying the first year of a re-designed model is true. The torque converter, A/C compressor, and all 4 brakes were replaced (twice) by 35,000 miles. There's a reason why the factory warranty for brakes is only 12 months/12000 miles!

The sound system is very nice and the drink holders are well placed. Smooth riding vehicle.

Chrysler's ABS brake system in general needs to be looked at. The days of 50- 70,000 miles between brake jobs are long gone!

Not a bad car
By stekicar

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I bought it used with 99,164 miles on it (3.0 liter engine). After 102,000 miles, oil started leaking (real reason: valve cover gasket). Serpentine belt ran off the steering servo. Put on a Goodyear belt, and now everything is OK. Water pump started leaking at 134,000 miles. Got totally mad and fixed everything by myself. I am affraid of transmision problems but nothing so far. Van runs like new now. Average 18/24 mpg.

Roomy. Ride is quiet. Perfect for long distance drive.

I hope they fixed everything by now.

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan
By Patrick

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This is not the first Chrysler Van that we have owned. All in all the only thing that worries me about the van is the transmission (4-spd auto) whichis known to be trouble. Fuel economy is very poor, well below the Chevy Venture. But all in all, this van is worth the extra money at the pump. Ride quality, design, and comfort is tops with us. We have owned 1993-2002 Chrysler vans and have enjoyed and have had good luck with all (trading most in with mileage above 150,000). We all reall love our Caravan!

Definiltly the engine, quiet and powerful. Interior design is superb! Exterior is attractive, and the van rides smooth.

Transmission. Although it is very quiet, and shifts without even noticing, attention needs to be given to its reliability.

My Dodge Van
By Randy

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

I have loved my Dodge Grand Caravan since I have owned it. It is quite comfortable and I average 20 in the city and around 23 on the highway. It has the 3.8 V6. I've driven a number of other vans by other manufacturers and none compare to the ride quality of the Dodge in my opinion.

The open feeling with the captains chairs and the versatility of the mult seat configuration.

Most things I think should have been improved have been so on newer models.