1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
256K and transmission died
By stekicar on 02/09/11 17:13 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

SE 3.0L 3 speed Bought it with 99640 miles on it on 08/2002. Since then, I was free of any problems. Taking care of it, oil changes every 3000 miles, transmission oil every 30k, tune-ups every 50k. And finally, transmission start hard shifting from first to second a week ago. Currently in the shop with $1950 to $2200 bill waiting for fixing transmission - total rebuilt. Plan to drive it for two more years minimum. Engine is still strong. Average is 22mpg. On freeway, with 65mph it reaches 24-25mpg. Rust is everywhere. My friend tells me that soon I will not have to open the door to enter inside :). Construction is still solid.

Don't Buy! Dodge Grand Caravan
By Hieu Le on 08/24/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We bought the 1996 Grand Caravan 2 years ago. when we bought it, it's only got 65K miles on it. Now it got 81K miles on it. Transmission and water pump failed twice. Electrical problem, make me crazy sometime. We keep losing money for it every for like 11 months. We are afraid to buy a Dodge again.

The 96 Mini Van Energizer Bunny
By Van-Man on 06/11/09 06:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

It's funny, people have transmission problems because they just drive. You "must" change the transmission fluids at 30,000 miles, just like oil changes at 3000. I've had zero probelms with mine; now at 160,000 miles! It runs and drives like the day it was new, seriously! So if you like roomy, cadillac feel and excellent fuel economy, buy a Caravan. They are a hidden secret most people don't realize how nice they are to drive and haul just about anything around in. I've had passengers say how comfortable the seats are, you can remove the back seats for extra leg room, what more could you ask for. The perfect van for our family has been the Dodge Caravan "We own TWO!!!

236,000 miles of reliable usefulness!
By joejackson on 02/04/09 18:00 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this Grand Caravan new in 1996 and have put 236,000 miles on it so far. Fabulous vehicle for hauling people and stuff. Great comfortable highway cruiser too. Averaged 22+ mpg at 75 mph on long trips. Hauled kids to school and events, college kids belongings, 4x8 sheets of plywood, and apartment loads of furniture easily. Many ski trips in the snow. The much maligned transmission has been great. Worked perfectly for 140,000 miles, then had it rebuilt (for $1500) and it has now gone another 100,000 miles and still working fine. If that is a bad transmission design, then I sure hope I get something as good on our next vehicle! No other major repairs.

96 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.0 liter
By skinnyshizz on 03/08/08 19:54 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

No problems at 135000 miles, only replaced brakes one time and spark plugs at 90000 miles, runs good doesn't consume any oil, shifts nice, good quality and ride.

Not my best purchase
By cfmeme on 01/02/07 18:54 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I an the only owner and I have put in a new motor and 2 transmissions,and many other major repairs. The van looks good but not dependable.

Buy something else--- run run
By Shelly on 01/29/06 13:52 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I recently got rid of this vehicle after owning it for 7 years, anxiously waiting for the day we could get rid of it for the last 3. The transmission failed at 147,000 miles. The worst part of it was this was the 3rd transmission. We had one replace right after we got it at about 38,000 and another at 87,000... both were covered by extended warranty purchase.

The worst van ever
By ROTCGirl on 11/17/05 17:13 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This is the worst van I've ever owned! We have put THREE transmissions in there so far. 1 water pump had AC fixed twice and maybe a third time. The ghost wipers happen, the rear window motor always runs out and the window washers are horrid.

Not a bad car
By stekicar on 07/18/05 20:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I bought it used with 99,164 miles on it (3.0 liter engine). After 102,000 miles, oil started leaking (real reason: valve cover gasket). Serpentine belt ran off the steering servo. Put on a Goodyear belt, and now everything is OK. Water pump started leaking at 134,000 miles. Got totally mad and fixed everything by myself. I am affraid of transmision problems but nothing so far. Van runs like new now. Average 18/24 mpg.

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan
By Patrick on 07/04/05 06:40 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This is not the first Chrysler Van that we have owned. All in all the only thing that worries me about the van is the transmission (4-spd auto) whichis known to be trouble. Fuel economy is very poor, well below the Chevy Venture. But all in all, this van is worth the extra money at the pump. Ride quality, design, and comfort is tops with us. We have owned 1993-2002 Chrysler vans and have enjoyed and have had good luck with all (trading most in with mileage above 150,000). We all reall love our Caravan!