1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Good for its age
By OM on 04/16/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Bought the car in 2005 with 162,000 miles. The van is very powerful, quick, and fuel efficient. The exterior styling is timeless and aggressive, something you don't see in minivans. I have a 3.8 Liter ES. The paint is slowly peeling off on the pillars and the pin striping is coming off. The car rusts very fast everywhere. The stereo buttons are very hard to press, and plastics are coming loose. The ABS stopped working at 169,000, power steering pump leaks a little, and AC has a leak. Year by year there are more leaks and a lot more rust. Gas mileage is excellent for a 3.8 liter engine, average 23 MPG.

Junk
By lmollstl on 01/18/09 08:05 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

I bought this van new and have had nothing but problems with it. It has 170,000 miles on it and the things I have had to replace would take up this entire column. The major replacements are; the transmission twice,water pump, power steering pump, gas tank, radio, wiper motor, power windows, door locks, door hinges, etc. The only thing still working is the engine. No wonder the company is going out of business. I will never buy another Dodge

Greatfamilyvan
By ja/kreager on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Repetitive problem with inside rear view mirrow coming loose. Average battery life 2 years. Rides and handles exceptionally well, even after eight years. Retains its stylish looks. Bought a 2005 for the 'sto & go seating' option.

1996 Dodge grand caravan se
By chili-mac on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Good Van, in three years only maintenance item, tires and breaks.

The best we've ever owned
By mafraziersr on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Our 1996 came to us with 106K on the odometer. I don't know about the previous owners experience. It was leased. We purchsed it at the bank auction. It now has 240K miles with no problems. It still looks great and is in daily use along with our new, flawless 2003 Chrysler T&C (21K trouble free miles). Our only complaint is the brakes. The rear brakes are weak despite our best efforts.?? No transmission problems or engine problems. A fantastic van. In fact, this was our third (86 & 88 previous)Chrysler van. Both had 200K+ miles when replaced. We've never experienced the transmission problems that seem to plauge other vans.

almost perfect
By tar rat on 02/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

This van is nearly perfect, except for one major flaw; the transmission. We had to have it fixed three times and, if I wasn't trading it tomorrow, it would be going in for a fourth time.

bad car
By nomoreamericancars on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Anything that can go wrong went wrong with this car. VERY POOR reliability.

great family mover
By greyporsche944 on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

this is our 2nd mini van. 1st one was a 94 grand. anouther great van. this one is tops unless you plan on going with the 2002 or newer. has everything you need and then some. great ride and very comfy. we have the quad seating. much better than the bench, especially with adults in the middle row. ours has been very reliable. the only thing other than routine maintanance was a pully bolt broke. other than that great van

BUYER BEWARE!
By dissatisfied on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

This has proved to be the WORST vehichle I have ever owned. I have had to rebuild the transmission, replace the fuel pump, water pump,and battery. That was all within two months of buying the van, when it was 4 years old and only had 54,000 miles. Now I am faced with a bad A/C, a squaling powersteering pump, and a leaking gas tank. What ever you do, protect yourself and do not let someone inflict one of these vehicles on you or your family!

Reliability Issues
By Sani on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

My dad bought a new Honda Odyssey this year and sold me this car, since I couldn't fit a car seat for my new baby into my 1992 Toyota Celica. He had the transmission rebuilt and then drove it up from Florida to Missouri with a trailer of furniture - well under the 3,000 pound limit. Now, the car needs a $3,000 ABS part, and the transmission needs to be rebuilt again, after less than 5,000 miles. The wipers operate randomly, which others in the reviews have noted, and the Infinity radio/CD/tape doesn't work - the buttons have to be pushed very hard, and then they sometimes operate other functions. I'm fixing it and selling it - and buying a nice, reliable used Camry.