Used 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Great Van
By Jerry

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I wouldn't own another American made van. It has served our family well, has taken some abuse and keeps right on going.

It holds the road better than any other minivan I've driven.

More space to change the back three spark plugs. Impossible to be done at home as is.

It's Dead in my Driveway!!!
By The Curves

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

It was great for the first 10 months until I noticed the transmission kept leaking. It also burned oil a lot. I had to put a quart in every 30 days. I had the transmission leak fixed and about 9 months later it literally came apart! The gears went through the bell housing! It cost me $2000.00 to replace it! Then 6 months later the engine threw a rod and now it has been sitting in my driveway for the past 2 years. I refuse to put another dime into it!!!!

The interior was great and I loved the 4 captains chairs in it. It was very comfortable! But mechanically it SUCKED!!!

IT NEEDS A BETTER ENGINE AND BETTER TRANSMISSION!!!! SOMETHING MORE RELIABLE!!!!

Must have got a good one.Very reliable!
By llonman

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

We purchased our Caravan when our third child was born. Van had 82K on the odometer and was on the second owner. The van now has 156K and still runs okay. The 3.0 engine has burned oil since day one due to the leaking seals. But it is managable. Idler pully is worn out but is cheaper to just replace belt with the next smaller belt to fend off squeeking. One of the resistors in the fan switch also went south at 130K, so we just choose the other 4 speeds. Tranny is the 3 speed model which is rock solid. Overall good van for the daily abuse it takes.

The room. Easy to drive.

More sound deadening. The car is very loud at highway speeds.

Run away!
By Leaf

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

Everything others have complained of in this vehicle is true. It is a roomy, well appointed money pit, with a weird psychic ability to detect when you have the least bit of spare cash and eat it. We bought ours used in 99. The mileage was not high and it looked like new. The fact that the transmission went a week later should have alerted us. Now, four years later, we're stuck with a belly up loan and a constant stream of repairs. It still *looks* nice. I wish they'd put more effort into making the damn thing run.

Don't buy them.

great design, poor quality
By candy man

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has had numerous repairs from the start. Most have not affected reliability, but performance and inconvenience are at stake. Many sensors, egr valve, and frequent battery replacements have been serviced. I like the design and space but can't reccommend due to poor quality.

Style, gas mileage, space, and size.

Improve quality control. Vehicle has been a money pit.