1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Bought used Grand Caravan
By Happy with Caravan

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We neded a van for our family due to an accident which totalled our previous Plymouth Voyager. I bought a '96 Grand Caravan (Dodge)with a 3.8L V-6. A ton of room! Five of us, plus grandpa, ride comfortably with pleny of cargo room. Interior lighting is excellent with well-placed lights. We haul furniture, and bulky loads by removing the rear seat. Handling on freeway is superb. Have replaced battery, brakes and a set of tires at 159K, & change fluids regularly. We got a good one!

Better than expected
By Thomas

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We bought it with 72K miles and it's close to 200K now. We've had to replace the transmission and the body control module, but nothing else. We drive it a lot and with 5 children, it gets a lot of use and abuse. It's held up very well considering. Overall, we've been very satisfied with it.

Drove it into the ground, now buying 2nd
By LJC

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This was our first minivan & first Dodge. I couldn't believe how comfortable and easy it was to drive! I loved it from Day 1. It was perfect for our toddlers & now for our teenagers. Very roomy with useful features - lots of cup holders, folding seats, lots of leg room. While it has been a headache at times - transmission/oil leaks, many sets of brakes, nonstop electrical problems (windshield wipers like to wave expectedly!), overall, we have loved this van & are currently shopping for another one. I couldn't imagine buying anything other than a Caravan! Would love an 08 but I don't love the price tag.

Comfortable cruiser
By peter

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I've had my LE for 10 years. Very comfortable on long trips, decent mileage and good power with the 3.8 engine. Seats are actually more comfortable than the stow+go seats on the new models, also interior much nicer on the '96LE. The new ones have an overall cheaper feel. Reliablity is only fair although the engine and tranny have not given me any problems. If you can find one that's been well maintained, especially with a 3.8, it might be worth buying.

Favorite Features

Ride, overall comfort, usable space, overall value

Suggested Improvements

Overall reliability

First Year
By LEJ

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This is a nice looking, but poorly engineered vehicle! The old saying about not buying the first year of a re-designed model is true. The torque converter, A/C compressor, and all 4 brakes were replaced (twice) by 35,000 miles. There's a reason why the factory warranty for brakes is only 12 months/12000 miles!

Favorite Features

The sound system is very nice and the drink holders are well placed. Smooth riding vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler's ABS brake system in general needs to be looked at. The days of 50- 70,000 miles between brake jobs are long gone!

My Dodge Van
By Randy

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I have loved my Dodge Grand Caravan since I have owned it. It is quite comfortable and I average 20 in the city and around 23 on the highway. It has the 3.8 V6. I've driven a number of other vans by other manufacturers and none compare to the ride quality of the Dodge in my opinion.

Favorite Features

The open feeling with the captains chairs and the versatility of the mult seat configuration.

Suggested Improvements

Most things I think should have been improved have been so on newer models.

Love/Hate relationship
By CanUSayBad

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

After my wife totalled our MPV last year, I had to find a quick replacement. This van was a good price and had been well-maintained, so I took a chance. Within 12 months the transmission died, the clear coat started peeling and bubbling on top and one side, the serpentine belt jumps off every 4-6k miles and the passenger side power window just fell out. Okay, so even with all the repair bills, I still haven't paid as much as I would have for an Odyssey or Sienna, but what a hassle. Only buy if you are a motorhead able to do your own repairs.

Favorite Features

Creature comforts/spaciousness/nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

build a vehicle with a little reliablility, please.

Transmissions and A/C are expensive!
By IWantAHonda

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I love the ride...but WOW the Transmissions and A/C and random electrical gremlins are killing my bank account. Dodge can't be making money on the Transimissions because they can't seem to make them last through the 2nd and 3rd transmission warranty unless the Dealer tries to say you "abused" the car...

Favorite Features

Drives on the highway like a dream. I wouldn't have been able to drag my family across the continent in a sedan. My Caravan has been a wonderful family transportation means for my young family

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions (x 3!), A/C (x1), CV joints, Electrical (starter, radio, gauges, etc).

Great Van
By MMMMMM

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We love having a mini van it great and very pratical. Ive put 50k on it, but the van has 148000. Just starting to leek fluid. Only repair was a water pump. Great family vehicle and travel vehicle.

Favorite Features

Ave 21mpg, lot of room so my three kid don't have to touch each other. I bought it used so we park it any where.

Suggested Improvements

I really had to think, the only one I can think of is......build a screen so I can not hear the kids.

Not too pleased
By trencher

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We bought the car used at 45,000 miles. In three years, we've had numerous major repairs including one where the engine had to be totally disassembled. The transmission needed to be replaced at a hefty expense. The radio has been replaced FOUR times in three years. We've also had trouble with the ABS light, cruise control has failed, wipers go on and off spontaneously ... the list goes on. This is the least reliable vehicle we've ever owned, and we can't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

Drives well ... that is, when it's not in the shop for repairs.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. More reliable.