1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
256K and transmission died
By stekicar on 02/09/11 17:13 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

SE 3.0L 3 speed Bought it with 99640 miles on it on 08/2002. Since then, I was free of any problems. Taking care of it, oil changes every 3000 miles, transmission oil every 30k, tune-ups every 50k. And finally, transmission start hard shifting from first to second a week ago. Currently in the shop with $1950 to $2200 bill waiting for fixing transmission - total rebuilt. Plan to drive it for two more years minimum. Engine is still strong. Average is 22mpg. On freeway, with 65mph it reaches 24-25mpg. Rust is everywhere. My friend tells me that soon I will not have to open the door to enter inside :). Construction is still solid.

Don't Buy! Dodge Grand Caravan
By Hieu Le on 08/24/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We bought the 1996 Grand Caravan 2 years ago. when we bought it, it's only got 65K miles on it. Now it got 81K miles on it. Transmission and water pump failed twice. Electrical problem, make me crazy sometime. We keep losing money for it every for like 11 months. We are afraid to buy a Dodge again.

Good for its age
By OM on 04/16/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Bought the car in 2005 with 162,000 miles. The van is very powerful, quick, and fuel efficient. The exterior styling is timeless and aggressive, something you don't see in minivans. I have a 3.8 Liter ES. The paint is slowly peeling off on the pillars and the pin striping is coming off. The car rusts very fast everywhere. The stereo buttons are very hard to press, and plastics are coming loose. The ABS stopped working at 169,000, power steering pump leaks a little, and AC has a leak. Year by year there are more leaks and a lot more rust. Gas mileage is excellent for a 3.8 liter engine, average 23 MPG.

The 96 Mini Van Energizer Bunny
By Van-Man on 06/11/09 06:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

It's funny, people have transmission problems because they just drive. You "must" change the transmission fluids at 30,000 miles, just like oil changes at 3000. I've had zero probelms with mine; now at 160,000 miles! It runs and drives like the day it was new, seriously! So if you like roomy, cadillac feel and excellent fuel economy, buy a Caravan. They are a hidden secret most people don't realize how nice they are to drive and haul just about anything around in. I've had passengers say how comfortable the seats are, you can remove the back seats for extra leg room, what more could you ask for. The perfect van for our family has been the Dodge Caravan "We own TWO!!!

236,000 miles of reliable usefulness!
By joejackson on 02/04/09 18:00 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this Grand Caravan new in 1996 and have put 236,000 miles on it so far. Fabulous vehicle for hauling people and stuff. Great comfortable highway cruiser too. Averaged 22+ mpg at 75 mph on long trips. Hauled kids to school and events, college kids belongings, 4x8 sheets of plywood, and apartment loads of furniture easily. Many ski trips in the snow. The much maligned transmission has been great. Worked perfectly for 140,000 miles, then had it rebuilt (for $1500) and it has now gone another 100,000 miles and still working fine. If that is a bad transmission design, then I sure hope I get something as good on our next vehicle! No other major repairs.

Bought used Grand Caravan
By Happy with Caravan on 01/20/09 20:55 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We neded a van for our family due to an accident which totalled our previous Plymouth Voyager. I bought a '96 Grand Caravan (Dodge)with a 3.8L V-6. A ton of room! Five of us, plus grandpa, ride comfortably with pleny of cargo room. Interior lighting is excellent with well-placed lights. We haul furniture, and bulky loads by removing the rear seat. Handling on freeway is superb. Have replaced battery, brakes and a set of tires at 159K, & change fluids regularly. We got a good one!

Junk
By lmollstl on 01/18/09 08:05 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

I bought this van new and have had nothing but problems with it. It has 170,000 miles on it and the things I have had to replace would take up this entire column. The major replacements are; the transmission twice,water pump, power steering pump, gas tank, radio, wiper motor, power windows, door locks, door hinges, etc. The only thing still working is the engine. No wonder the company is going out of business. I will never buy another Dodge

Better than expected
By Thomas on 10/17/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

We bought it with 72K miles and it's close to 200K now. We've had to replace the transmission and the body control module, but nothing else. We drive it a lot and with 5 children, it gets a lot of use and abuse. It's held up very well considering. Overall, we've been very satisfied with it.

96 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.0 liter
By skinnyshizz on 03/08/08 19:54 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

No problems at 135000 miles, only replaced brakes one time and spark plugs at 90000 miles, runs good doesn't consume any oil, shifts nice, good quality and ride.

Drove it into the ground, now buying 2nd
By LJC on 09/02/07 11:13 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This was our first minivan & first Dodge. I couldn't believe how comfortable and easy it was to drive! I loved it from Day 1. It was perfect for our toddlers & now for our teenagers. Very roomy with useful features - lots of cup holders, folding seats, lots of leg room. While it has been a headache at times - transmission/oil leaks, many sets of brakes, nonstop electrical problems (windshield wipers like to wave expectedly!), overall, we have loved this van & are currently shopping for another one. I couldn't imagine buying anything other than a Caravan! Would love an 08 but I don't love the price tag.