1994 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Pat's Money Pit
By Pat's money pit on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan 3dr Minivan

Purchased used from private party w/90k miles. Engine would stall constantly, paid $1000 in repairs first 6 months. Eventually had to replace A/C condensor and water pump. Four months ago started leaking brake fluid. Total rear brake rebuild, another $400. Last month, quit running again. This time burnt computer, distributor and battery (another $800). Engine leaks a quart of oil a week. Every Caravan owner I've talked to had transmission problems. Even my van had the transmission replaced just before I bought it. Luckely the rebuild has held up. Overall this is the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

My 94 Dodge Caravan Experiences
By Bill Matthews on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

My 1994 Dodge LE Caravan has had many major repairs made, fortunately all under the extended warranty. They were; Air cond. evaporator replaced for corrosion,engine mounts replaced twice, transmission overhauled, both front CV axles replaced 2 to 3 times due to vibation at 45-55 mph. Also the hood and roof paint peeled and had to be repainted. All of these under 60,000 miles. Then the vibration reoccured at 45-65 mph, and dealer said not CV axils fault. Tires replaced and balanced, aligned, 2 wheels replaced, all of no help, they (the dealer) could never find the cause. So I will never buy another Dodge.

Paint and Tranny problem
By Bad Tranny on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We have had this van for 6 years and have put around 80K miles on it. It has never left us stranded, and has been great except to the transmission and the paint. This van was garaged all its life and the paint is coming off in sheets. Lucky for us, the previous owner choose the 7/70 warranty, because we are on our 4th transmission. Thankfully we haven't paid a dime yet. Over all it is a good van, just has cheap, thin paint, and terrible transmission. Come on Dodge!

Solid used van
By espokane on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

We didn't want a big payment, and went with a used Grand Voyager. With a 3- year loan and our trade, the payment was only $116. At that payment, occasional repairs wouldn't be a big deal. The van has been very reliable, and with the exception of a problem with the AC system (still not fixed-- plan to trade up in the spring), no problems have come up. The mileage is about 16 average, which I wish were higher.

Fantastic Long Term
By Ron from Denver on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

This car's 3.8 L 6 cyl engine has been fantastic... still drives like the day we left the dealership after 133K miles. I think it will go several more years.

I'll never buy another Dodge
By George G on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

Back hatch release stopped working at 40,000 km, Steering rack and Head Gasket replaced at 90,000 km; New tranny at 112,000 km. Radio stopped working at 120,000 km. Paint peeling badly on the roof (you can rinse it off with a garden hose!) I wish Honda had sold minivans back in 1995!

Served me well
By tls on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

A good van. I really liked it. Roomy, comfortable. I had the Grand Caravan. Amazing how much stuff I could load when I removed the seats. Better than renting a small van from Ryder. Minor transmission problem at 80k. Replaced seals about $450. Seems hard to stop, especially in wet weather. I should have ordered ABS and saved myself many close calls. Unfortunately van was stolen and totaled, otherwise I would never sell it.

Never Again !
By Nomoredodges on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We bought our Grand Caravan used with 30,000 miles. Shortly after purchase with only 35,000, my wife and kids were in an accident as the tie rod snapped, sending the vehicle into a spin. Since that time, we've had many problems including a leaky transmission, broken sway bars, defective front fog lights, a faulty fuel gauge sending unit and even the motors on the rear power windows have gone out. The quality of this product is poor, and it's safe to say we've owned our last Dodge product.

Give me a Caravan....
By Penger5 on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

We've really enjoyed this vehicle. We bought it used with about 75,000 miles on it. We've put about 76,000 more on it. We did have some problem with the electrical wiring--a small fire in the door and a squirrel ate the electrical harness--but, other than that, repairs have been pretty minor. Unlike many others we have not (touch wood) had to rebuild the transmission. The transmission is a little temperamental (you would be too with 151,000 miles on you!) but I've found that starting gently from a stop helps solves the problem. My mechanic says that there is a lot of weight that it needs to pull, so being gentle on the start from a stop will stand you in good stead.

transmission
By ken pittman on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

have owned this car since new, have 103,000 miles on it. it was great for hauling the kids to and from college (our 1 college trip is 625 miles one way). the 3.3 v-6 has performed wonderful. i've changed the oil every 3500 miles and it doesn't take any adds between oil changes. the big draw back has been the transmission, i've had it rebuilt twice by aamco transmissions,the first time was at 75,000 miles the next time was at 102,000 miles so i don't know if it's the tranny or aamco the 2nd time. aamco tells me that the cooler for the transmission is too small. besides for the transmission this vehicle was a very reliable family vehicle as i have hauled 4 daughters around with it.