1994 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Dodge van is a tough hauler
By T.F. on 01/21/09 19:40 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Our 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan is very reliable and trustworthy. The engine and drivetrain are quality, the electrical gadgets on the van are the weakness but for a few bucks to repair our local mechanic keeps it in good shape. It is as good or better than our former Nissan Quest that was a headache. I have to laugh at the other reviewers who are shocked at having any repairs on this vehicle. Did someone tell this guy that vans will never need some amount of fixing? This vehicle is a bargain for the service it offers.

Serpentine belt
By cejcala on 05/09/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This van has serpentine belt issues, if you look at other web sites you will see the constant problems. The 1994 has no fix at all, so you are stuck. If you have a 96 or later there is a fix, because they didn't fix it in production, so you still had to fix it on your own. I will NEVER buy another caravan, and I am renting a vehicle to go on a family trip because this is so unreliable in the rain. I was offered a 2004 caravan to rent. I don't know, who knows if Dodge was ever responsible enough to fix a problem in a vehicle that is major, and in a vehicle that usually carries a number of children.Live and learn, wish I did more research

Excellent family hauler
By J. Woods on 06/07/06 18:31 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Vehicle was purchased used with 92,000 miles on it. Now, at 146,000, it still runs strong. I did have to replace a transmission, but the horror stories about 3 and 4 replacements are due to shoddy rebuilds. Upgrade the trans cooler when you replace the transmission ($50), and you shouldn't have trouble. Trans aside, I've beat the heck out of it, and it's still going! 90mph hauling 1,500 lbs of crap is good performance in my book. People expect a lot from their Caravans, and they do have their problems, but overall they're a good car. There's a reason you see them as taxis. Important -- get a tune-up & fix any emissions probs to save on gas. Also, use quality replacement parts!

When going to a car lot "Dodge" this junk
By Joey on 04/24/06 13:27 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I put more money into this vehicle then what it was worth! In just 4 months I replaced 2 ECM units, 2 alternators, EGL valve, battery, brake pads, and starter. The worst Dodge product I have owned. I'd rather drive an ice cream truck then a Grand Caravan!

Do not buy this vehicle
By Jim on 09/01/05 18:10 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

The vehicle was nothing but a problem for the duration of my ownership. Build quality was the second-worst I have ever owned, a 1971 Chev Nova was worse. The transmission never actually worked as a tranny ought to, in addition the itnerior fit and finish was deplorable and the exterior finish was typical '90s american poor quality. My only memory of this van will be that I constantly had to take it to a garage to have a repair made. It was a balck hole for money. The one brght side is that with all my money it lasted 11 years.

Paint and Tranny problem
By Bad Tranny on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We have had this van for 6 years and have put around 80K miles on it. It has never left us stranded, and has been great except to the transmission and the paint. This van was garaged all its life and the paint is coming off in sheets. Lucky for us, the previous owner choose the 7/70 warranty, because we are on our 4th transmission. Thankfully we haven't paid a dime yet. Over all it is a good van, just has cheap, thin paint, and terrible transmission. Come on Dodge!

Never Again !
By Nomoredodges on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We bought our Grand Caravan used with 30,000 miles. Shortly after purchase with only 35,000, my wife and kids were in an accident as the tie rod snapped, sending the vehicle into a spin. Since that time, we've had many problems including a leaky transmission, broken sway bars, defective front fog lights, a faulty fuel gauge sending unit and even the motors on the rear power windows have gone out. The quality of this product is poor, and it's safe to say we've owned our last Dodge product.

transmission
By ken pittman on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

have owned this car since new, have 103,000 miles on it. it was great for hauling the kids to and from college (our 1 college trip is 625 miles one way). the 3.3 v-6 has performed wonderful. i've changed the oil every 3500 miles and it doesn't take any adds between oil changes. the big draw back has been the transmission, i've had it rebuilt twice by aamco transmissions,the first time was at 75,000 miles the next time was at 102,000 miles so i don't know if it's the tranny or aamco the 2nd time. aamco tells me that the cooler for the transmission is too small. besides for the transmission this vehicle was a very reliable family vehicle as i have hauled 4 daughters around with it.