Used 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Dodge van is a tough hauler
By T.F.

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Our 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan is very reliable and trustworthy. The engine and drivetrain are quality, the electrical gadgets on the van are the weakness but for a few bucks to repair our local mechanic keeps it in good shape. It is as good or better than our former Nissan Quest that was a headache. I have to laugh at the other reviewers who are shocked at having any repairs on this vehicle. Did someone tell this guy that vans will never need some amount of fixing? This vehicle is a bargain for the service it offers.

Strong starting smooth 3.3 V6 motor, lots of cargo space, FWD, comfortable seats.

Dodge has already improved on everything by now so I am sure the 2009 vans are superb vehicles.

Serpentine belt
By cejcala

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This van has serpentine belt issues, if you look at other web sites you will see the constant problems. The 1994 has no fix at all, so you are stuck. If you have a 96 or later there is a fix, because they didn't fix it in production, so you still had to fix it on your own. I will NEVER buy another caravan, and I am renting a vehicle to go on a family trip because this is so unreliable in the rain. I was offered a 2004 caravan to rent. I don't know, who knows if Dodge was ever responsible enough to fix a problem in a vehicle that is major, and in a vehicle that usually carries a number of children.Live and learn, wish I did more research

Interior room

Fix the serpentine belt, for all the vans, do not put one on the market again that needs an aftermarket fix, get me a fix for this problem on this van

Excellent family hauler
By J. Woods

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Vehicle was purchased used with 92,000 miles on it. Now, at 146,000, it still runs strong. I did have to replace a transmission, but the horror stories about 3 and 4 replacements are due to shoddy rebuilds. Upgrade the trans cooler when you replace the transmission ($50), and you shouldn't have trouble. Trans aside, I've beat the heck out of it, and it's still going! 90mph hauling 1,500 lbs of crap is good performance in my book. People expect a lot from their Caravans, and they do have their problems, but overall they're a good car. There's a reason you see them as taxis. Important -- get a tune-up & fix any emissions probs to save on gas. Also, use quality replacement parts!

Hauling capacity and masculine looks of some of the colors (mine is tan). I never liked the Windstars with their huge doors, etc.

Hopefully, Chrysler has nailed down the transmission problems for good.

When going to a car lot "Dodge" this junk
By Joey

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I put more money into this vehicle then what it was worth! In just 4 months I replaced 2 ECM units, 2 alternators, EGL valve, battery, brake pads, and starter. The worst Dodge product I have owned. I'd rather drive an ice cream truck then a Grand Caravan!

The only good thing was it was good on gas

Do not buy this vehicle
By Jim

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

The vehicle was nothing but a problem for the duration of my ownership. Build quality was the second-worst I have ever owned, a 1971 Chev Nova was worse. The transmission never actually worked as a tranny ought to, in addition the itnerior fit and finish was deplorable and the exterior finish was typical '90s american poor quality. My only memory of this van will be that I constantly had to take it to a garage to have a repair made. It was a balck hole for money. The one brght side is that with all my money it lasted 11 years.

Second row chairs rather than bench and it was large enough to carry many items.