1994 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Great dependable van
By dave03886 on 03/05/11 14:36 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

I've had this Van for over 6 years, bought it with 108 K miles from the first owner, it now has 190K. The transmission was replaced under factory warranty at 90 K. I am very fussy with oil changes, transmission service and tune-up, other than common wear out and maintenance issues this van has treated me very well. The 3.8 L is rare for a 1994, and the transmission is a 4sp auto, with cooler as the vehicle had a towing package option from the factory. The galvanized body was a big plus for me when I bought it. I will drive this van until I need to spend $1000 at one time. I would probably only get 300-400 trade in on another used vehicle and that new used car could be a lemon.

Dodge van is a tough hauler
By T.F. on 01/21/09 19:40 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Our 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan is very reliable and trustworthy. The engine and drivetrain are quality, the electrical gadgets on the van are the weakness but for a few bucks to repair our local mechanic keeps it in good shape. It is as good or better than our former Nissan Quest that was a headache. I have to laugh at the other reviewers who are shocked at having any repairs on this vehicle. Did someone tell this guy that vans will never need some amount of fixing? This vehicle is a bargain for the service it offers.

Fun for a Mini-Van
By Bob on 08/05/08 22:15 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

Bought the van from my in-laws in 1998 with 60,000 miles on it. Transmission was replaced before I bought it at 50,000 miles. Currently has 180,000 miles it. Transmission has been great. Have enjoyed the 3.8 liter engine. Recently repainted and detailed van for $1000. I am not a motorhead or a particular fan of American cars. I think it has been a great value.

Serpentine belt
By cejcala on 05/09/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This van has serpentine belt issues, if you look at other web sites you will see the constant problems. The 1994 has no fix at all, so you are stuck. If you have a 96 or later there is a fix, because they didn't fix it in production, so you still had to fix it on your own. I will NEVER buy another caravan, and I am renting a vehicle to go on a family trip because this is so unreliable in the rain. I was offered a 2004 caravan to rent. I don't know, who knows if Dodge was ever responsible enough to fix a problem in a vehicle that is major, and in a vehicle that usually carries a number of children.Live and learn, wish I did more research

Solid van served us well for 11 years
By Steve on 12/07/07 11:51 AM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

Bought a loaded 3.8L LE 2 years used, drove the tar out of it w/the family, then a daily driver to work for a few years, now my teenage son has been driving it for 1.5 years. Will finally sadly part with it, as my son upgrades. Has been a real workhorse, generally very reliable, always started and ran smooth and quiet to this day. Had to rebuild tranny at 70K (who didn't?), but tranny still good today at 225K miles. AC went out about a year ago. Otherwise, very little went wrong. Surprised by other reviews dinging this vehicle, as they were all submitted when the car was 10 years old! What do you expect? Most other 10yo cars are in the junkyard or some canal somewhere by now.

Excellent family hauler
By J. Woods on 06/07/06 18:31 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Vehicle was purchased used with 92,000 miles on it. Now, at 146,000, it still runs strong. I did have to replace a transmission, but the horror stories about 3 and 4 replacements are due to shoddy rebuilds. Upgrade the trans cooler when you replace the transmission ($50), and you shouldn't have trouble. Trans aside, I've beat the heck out of it, and it's still going! 90mph hauling 1,500 lbs of crap is good performance in my book. People expect a lot from their Caravans, and they do have their problems, but overall they're a good car. There's a reason you see them as taxis. Important -- get a tune-up & fix any emissions probs to save on gas. Also, use quality replacement parts!

When going to a car lot "Dodge" this junk
By Joey on 04/24/06 13:27 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I put more money into this vehicle then what it was worth! In just 4 months I replaced 2 ECM units, 2 alternators, EGL valve, battery, brake pads, and starter. The worst Dodge product I have owned. I'd rather drive an ice cream truck then a Grand Caravan!

Our Grand Caravan
By Cerberus1949 on 11/08/05 12:15 PM (PST)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

This is the best vehicle I've purchased new, and I started buying new vehicles in 1971. I've never had a vehicle remain in such top condition after so many driving miles. This vehicle has always been there when we needed it, and performed above expectation.

Do not buy this vehicle
By Jim on 09/01/05 18:10 PM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

The vehicle was nothing but a problem for the duration of my ownership. Build quality was the second-worst I have ever owned, a 1971 Chev Nova was worse. The transmission never actually worked as a tranny ought to, in addition the itnerior fit and finish was deplorable and the exterior finish was typical '90s american poor quality. My only memory of this van will be that I constantly had to take it to a garage to have a repair made. It was a balck hole for money. The one brght side is that with all my money it lasted 11 years.

Nebs Review
By Robert Nebelsick on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has preformed very good for me during my ownership.