Used 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Great dependable van
By dave03886

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

I've had this Van for over 6 years, bought it with 108 K miles from the first owner, it now has 190K. The transmission was replaced under factory warranty at 90 K. I am very fussy with oil changes, transmission service and tune-up, other than common wear out and maintenance issues this van has treated me very well. The 3.8 L is rare for a 1994, and the transmission is a 4sp auto, with cooler as the vehicle had a towing package option from the factory. The galvanized body was a big plus for me when I bought it. I will drive this van until I need to spend $1000 at one time. I would probably only get 300-400 trade in on another used vehicle and that new used car could be a lemon.

Favorite Features

4 capt. seats, rear heat and air, great sound system, overhead digital computer for mpg, compass, outside temp, etc. very predictable road manners and 18-22 mpg average in a comfortable 7 passenger van, with plenty of get up and go, crusing at 70-75 is solid and effortless motor is smooth, and can zip up to 85-90 in a flash on the interstate of course I usually drive under 55-60.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I could recommend to improve on

Dodge van is a tough hauler
By T.F.

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Our 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan is very reliable and trustworthy. The engine and drivetrain are quality, the electrical gadgets on the van are the weakness but for a few bucks to repair our local mechanic keeps it in good shape. It is as good or better than our former Nissan Quest that was a headache. I have to laugh at the other reviewers who are shocked at having any repairs on this vehicle. Did someone tell this guy that vans will never need some amount of fixing? This vehicle is a bargain for the service it offers.

Favorite Features

Strong starting smooth 3.3 V6 motor, lots of cargo space, FWD, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge has already improved on everything by now so I am sure the 2009 vans are superb vehicles.

Fun for a Mini-Van
By Bob

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

Bought the van from my in-laws in 1998 with 60,000 miles on it. Transmission was replaced before I bought it at 50,000 miles. Currently has 180,000 miles it. Transmission has been great. Have enjoyed the 3.8 liter engine. Recently repainted and detailed van for $1000. I am not a motorhead or a particular fan of American cars. I think it has been a great value.

Favorite Features

Great engine and comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

None

Serpentine belt
By cejcala

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This van has serpentine belt issues, if you look at other web sites you will see the constant problems. The 1994 has no fix at all, so you are stuck. If you have a 96 or later there is a fix, because they didn't fix it in production, so you still had to fix it on your own. I will NEVER buy another caravan, and I am renting a vehicle to go on a family trip because this is so unreliable in the rain. I was offered a 2004 caravan to rent. I don't know, who knows if Dodge was ever responsible enough to fix a problem in a vehicle that is major, and in a vehicle that usually carries a number of children.Live and learn, wish I did more research

Favorite Features

Interior room

Suggested Improvements

Fix the serpentine belt, for all the vans, do not put one on the market again that needs an aftermarket fix, get me a fix for this problem on this van

Solid van served us well for 11 years
By Steve

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

Bought a loaded 3.8L LE 2 years used, drove the tar out of it w/the family, then a daily driver to work for a few years, now my teenage son has been driving it for 1.5 years. Will finally sadly part with it, as my son upgrades. Has been a real workhorse, generally very reliable, always started and ran smooth and quiet to this day. Had to rebuild tranny at 70K (who didn't?), but tranny still good today at 225K miles. AC went out about a year ago. Otherwise, very little went wrong. Surprised by other reviews dinging this vehicle, as they were all submitted when the car was 10 years old! What do you expect? Most other 10yo cars are in the junkyard or some canal somewhere by now.

Favorite Features

Started and ran smooth, reliable

Suggested Improvements

Rebuilding the infamous Caravan tranny