1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

16 years and still going strong
By Charles

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Great vehicle. Same tranny with only two fluid changes, one water pump change. Still get 24 MPG highway and 21 around town (3.3/FWD), 3K miles per quart of oil.

Favorite Features

Love hauling 4x8 sheets of drywall with the hatch closed with a couple dozen 2x4x8's. Factory sport suspension with rear sway bar with heavy duty suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Less rattles inside desired - downside effect of the HD suspension?

What a surprise!
By deetta

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We purchased this van with 88,000 miles on it and now 7 yrs later it has 219,000.It's our family car so any where I go she goes. We've never replaced the engine or transmission. My Dodge has been a very reliable vehicle!! I love the room in it. It handles great! I've hauled a few bales of hay and always get my feed for the horses in it. I can't say anything very bad about it. We've replaced the drive axles on both sides and that's the most we've had in repairs. The transmission is giving a few problems now but we watch the fluid and do not use overdrive which isn't as good on mpg. We are starting to look for a different car but I hate to give up my Dodge, I love it!

Favorite Features

The clearance underneath is pretty good, tight steering, handles the curves great. It's been a great engine (3.0)good power and plenty of speed.

Suggested Improvements

I would improve the air conditioning ducts or put in rear heat/air. The speakers could be better.

1993 Grand Caravan LE
By NotthisDodge

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This car is a good car, but reliability is fair, at best. Also, too many safety recalls on this car. Bottom of motor had to be redone at 70k. Transmission went out at 100k. Most other significant systems have required repairs through the years.

Favorite Features

Good road car. Radio good until speakers started going. Good A/C

Suggested Improvements

Make car more reliable

I think I'll keep it
By Deida78

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

Purchased the van from a friend. The brake system had failed, a/c quit, shocks were toast, and transmission shifted into 1st without warning, scary. Brake system was recalled, but still paid a pretty penny, a/c and shocks fixed myself, and the tranny is still the original. The 3.3 liter tranny will drop down into 1st if: the solenoid pack, tranny computer, or even the throttle position sensor are malfunctioning. I replaced all myself, and it works fine. I did take it to a tranny man, and he said from a computer diagnosis, the tranny looks in great shape. Only reservation I have about it, is it has a little hesitation going up steep hills at high speeds (e.g. 70 m.p.h or above.

Favorite Features

Captain chairs upfront, bench in rear, and lots of room. Fairly dependable. Even though I am not a computer in cars fan (and this van is loaded with them, tranny comp, engine, abs comp, etc) It is pretty neat what they can tell you.

Suggested Improvements

A bigger, stronger tranny to handle the weight of the van, and maybe slightly stronger engine to handle the weight. Of course, increase gas mileage.

12 Years and Counting
By Don

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

After 12 years, 158K miles, and only the second transmission, I really can't complain. No rust or squeaks, captain's chairs are still comfortable, and we still get over 25 mpg on a trip. Couldn't have refinished my basement without it (hauled a lot from Home Depot). Still pulls a trailer easily. One odd thing happened this past winter when I closed the driver's door and the rear tailgate window shattered. First transmission died at 69K miles, but was covered without question by the dealer under 7/70 warranty. Second transmission is doing fine. Radio went 4- 5 years ago; replaced it with a CD player. Never did any work on power accessories. Plan to keep it until it drops.

Favorite Features

Good mpg, fits 4x8 plywood flat, fits 10 foot studs with gate closed, is comfortable on trips

Suggested Improvements

More legroom up front. Hard on tires (alignment seemed to go out often).

Functional Utility
By soccercoach

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES 3dr Minivan

The 1993 Grand Caravan is is a people, pet, and thing hauler. It does it comfortably, and farily reliably and economically. The Quad Captain Chairs are comfortable and keep the younger occupants separated, the engines is a dependable workhorse, it will not move you real quick but it can get up and go in a pinch. It does have a heavy steering ride but overall this vehicle is a good third car to have for muddy soccer days or when you need to pick up some mulch and carry some young kids and their friends. Get a used one for functionality and the ultimate utility vehicle.

Favorite Features

Quad Seats and Dual A/C.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower better steering.

Damn the Dodge
By Disgusted

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I bought this thing brand new. I was very pleased at first. This was my second Dodge brand auto I had bought new and should have known from the first one that the quality was not good. I had the 36,000 mile full warrenty. The transmission went out at 37,000. t $2000 a pop I have had 5 transmissions, some only lasting a year. Then the electrical has been less then satisfying.

Favorite Features

then built in baby seats a $750 option was outstanding and rated in the top 3% by Consumers reports for funtion and safety due to proper placement. A very good feature. The overall utility of the vehecle can not be denied.

Suggested Improvements

The 4 speed auto transmission needs to be much better designed. It has been rated poor by Consumers for years. The electric is also notorious for its failures.

Great car!
By Marc17

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this car brand new off the lot. I have pulled a trailer to South Dakota and back to Wisconsin. From Ohio to Wisconsin at least 30 times. The car has 130000 miles and runs like brand new. Its gone through 2 kids and has never broken down. Only had to replace the transmition once in the past year. I am very pleased with my car.

Favorite Features

This car could last for another 10 years. Lots of room and always starts up even in 20 below weather.

Suggested Improvements

none

If you like to replace transmissions...
By Transmissionbuyer

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

...buy a Chrysler minivan. Just found out today that our '93 Caravan needs ANOTHER transmission....THREE have gone out on this vehicle. Never, ever again will I buy another Chrysler product. Talked with District Rep and Detroit....they refuse to acknowlege problem or help in any way.

93 Dodge Grand Carave SE Sport
By Tiger

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Solid transportation. Captian Seats for four are great. Lots of room. Keeps on ticking.

Favorite Features

Always starts, uses no oil, made for people to fit in. Carries a bunch of stuff too. May last another 10 years.

Suggested Improvements

Engine power is about 140hp, fair but could use some more ponies when everyone is rolling at 90. Way to noisy at road speeds. New Trans at 30k under warranty..since then nothing has broken. Interior trim-plastic is cheap some minor cracks.