1993 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
16 years and still going strong
By Charles on 02/05/09 09:42 AM (PST)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Great vehicle. Same tranny with only two fluid changes, one water pump change. Still get 24 MPG highway and 21 around town (3.3/FWD), 3K miles per quart of oil.

What a surprise!
By deetta on 12/31/08 17:01 PM (PST)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We purchased this van with 88,000 miles on it and now 7 yrs later it has 219,000.It's our family car so any where I go she goes. We've never replaced the engine or transmission. My Dodge has been a very reliable vehicle!! I love the room in it. It handles great! I've hauled a few bales of hay and always get my feed for the horses in it. I can't say anything very bad about it. We've replaced the drive axles on both sides and that's the most we've had in repairs. The transmission is giving a few problems now but we watch the fluid and do not use overdrive which isn't as good on mpg. We are starting to look for a different car but I hate to give up my Dodge, I love it!

1993 Grand Caravan LE
By NotthisDodge on 10/15/06 15:41 PM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

This car is a good car, but reliability is fair, at best. Also, too many safety recalls on this car. Bottom of motor had to be redone at 70k. Transmission went out at 100k. Most other significant systems have required repairs through the years.

I think I'll keep it
By Deida78 on 07/19/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

Purchased the van from a friend. The brake system had failed, a/c quit, shocks were toast, and transmission shifted into 1st without warning, scary. Brake system was recalled, but still paid a pretty penny, a/c and shocks fixed myself, and the tranny is still the original. The 3.3 liter tranny will drop down into 1st if: the solenoid pack, tranny computer, or even the throttle position sensor are malfunctioning. I replaced all myself, and it works fine. I did take it to a tranny man, and he said from a computer diagnosis, the tranny looks in great shape. Only reservation I have about it, is it has a little hesitation going up steep hills at high speeds (e.g. 70 m.p.h or above.

12 Years and Counting
By Don on 04/11/05 11:53 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

After 12 years, 158K miles, and only the second transmission, I really can't complain. No rust or squeaks, captain's chairs are still comfortable, and we still get over 25 mpg on a trip. Couldn't have refinished my basement without it (hauled a lot from Home Depot). Still pulls a trailer easily. One odd thing happened this past winter when I closed the driver's door and the rear tailgate window shattered. First transmission died at 69K miles, but was covered without question by the dealer under 7/70 warranty. Second transmission is doing fine. Radio went 4- 5 years ago; replaced it with a CD player. Never did any work on power accessories. Plan to keep it until it drops.

Functional Utility
By soccercoach on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

The 1993 Grand Caravan is is a people, pet, and thing hauler. It does it comfortably, and farily reliably and economically. The Quad Captain Chairs are comfortable and keep the younger occupants separated, the engines is a dependable workhorse, it will not move you real quick but it can get up and go in a pinch. It does have a heavy steering ride but overall this vehicle is a good third car to have for muddy soccer days or when you need to pick up some mulch and carry some young kids and their friends. Get a used one for functionality and the ultimate utility vehicle.

Damn the Dodge
By Disgusted on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I bought this thing brand new. I was very pleased at first. This was my second Dodge brand auto I had bought new and should have known from the first one that the quality was not good. I had the 36,000 mile full warrenty. The transmission went out at 37,000. t $2000 a pop I have had 5 transmissions, some only lasting a year. Then the electrical has been less then satisfying.

Great car!
By Marc17 on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this car brand new off the lot. I have pulled a trailer to South Dakota and back to Wisconsin. From Ohio to Wisconsin at least 30 times. The car has 130000 miles and runs like brand new. Its gone through 2 kids and has never broken down. Only had to replace the transmition once in the past year. I am very pleased with my car.

If you like to replace transmissions...
By Transmissionbuyer on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

...buy a Chrysler minivan. Just found out today that our '93 Caravan needs ANOTHER transmission....THREE have gone out on this vehicle. Never, ever again will I buy another Chrysler product. Talked with District Rep and Detroit....they refuse to acknowlege problem or help in any way.

93 Dodge Grand Carave SE Sport
By Tiger on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Solid transportation. Captian Seats for four are great. Lots of room. Keeps on ticking.