Used 1992 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

1992 Dodge Caraven ES
By grapost

1992 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

20 years old and still going strong Since I only live 10 minutes from work the miles have been kept low. 120,00 on it now. Still runs great with plenty of pep from the V-6. Gas milage averages 14 MPG Have had it for 13 years and never had an engine or transmission problem with it. Power windows and front seat all still work. The speaker wires for the radio have somehow become disconnected. The only major problem I had was when one of the transaxles broke. The roof and hood paint peeled as alot of this year model did. The interior has held up fine except for the the ceiling covering which has come loose a hangs down over the front seats and along the sliding door

Hmm
By shazing

1992 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan AWD

It worked for us; the tranny was rebuilt at 60,000 miles and it now has 125,000 miles. The tranny leaked always and you had to watch it, my brothers does the same thing. I don't think Dodge has fixed the problem yet. However it always started and always got us were we wanted to go. The AWD is awesome for snow. Knowing what I know now, I would still buy another Dodge Caravan but I probally won't. For the money I think the Chevy Astro is a better buy.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, nice seats

Suggested Improvements

The transmission in Dodges are garbage.

3 door Grand Caravan
By chenook

1992 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I bought this car for $2000 when it was 11 years old. I needed a vehicle to transport 7 people and this caught my eye at a local dealer. I should have done an extensive check on this one first. Within 6 months I put $400 into brakes,rotors,bearings,exhaust,tranny seals and the still needed to replace the radiator,thermostat,tires and the paint is peeling off in chunks. I have had it just stop running for no reason at least twice. The A/C quit on the day I bought it. The fan stopped running after replacing radiator. I've had the reserve on radiator actually boil. The only thing that has saved me is the warning alarm that van is overheating.

Mixed Bag
By Kautzie

1992 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought in '93 w/42,500 miles; now 187,600 miles (3/25/04). Goes through front brake pads/rotors quite frequently; usual trans. failure at 132,000 mi. and again at 148,500 mi. (this time covered under warranty). Both drive axles replaced at 152,000 and again at 166,000; right hub assembly replaced at 176,000. Other items that failed were the water pump, fuel pump and A/C unit. The 3.3L motor has been outstanding; doesn't burn oil; doesn't leak oil. Engine runs like it did the day we bought the van. We think we have gotten our money's worth from it in service and relative comfort.

Favorite Features

3.3L Engine -- excellent motor Roominess

Suggested Improvements

Transmission (Almost everyone complains about this...is Chrysler hearing this?!) Stowaway seats now have arrived, finally, and the driver slider was certainly needed. Other suggestions is better sound/vibration insulation.

Good Vehicle
By ahlus

1992 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I bought the car when it was a year old with 43000 miles. The vehicle has been excellent for getting the kids (who are now grown) to and from all of their events and for hauling. When they when to college this car could not be beat for room. It has also been great for getting lumber. You can get a sheet of plywood in the vehicle lay it down flat and still close the doors. We now have 200000 miles and it is showing its age. We replaced the transmission at 134000 miles and the oil pressure is beginning to be poor. I would like to keep it for two more years because it is great for hauling.

Favorite Features

Great people mover and hauling stuff.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if the back of the middle seat folded down like the rear seat, so you would not have to remove the seat as often.