2016 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Like Driving A Building
By DJ

2016 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I was furnished a 2016 Dodge Durango AWD Limited by my insurance company while my Jeep Compass is being repaired (a tree fell on it). I am amused to no end that the automotive press just RAVES about the Durango while having little good to say about the Compass. Personally, I CAN'T WAIT to get my little Compass back. The Durango is a mastodon of over-engineered crapola, in my humble opinion. From the stereo I can't shut off to the engine that shuts off every time I stop, this ranch house on wheels is a Chinese water-torture of constant annoyance. It seems to run "okay", but it handles like an aircraft carrier. I checked online, and it looks like the going price for Durangos like my rental is about $40K, which I've seen described as "reasonable". I think it's absurdly overpriced.

Chrysler Hit It Out Of The Park
By patrick

2016 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I previously owned a 2003 Tahoe Z71 totally loaded and I loved it. I just retired the vehicle with 245 thousand miles on it and it was still a mule. For six years my middle son used this as his primary vehicle for high school and college. Oh what stories I would hear if the vehicle could talk. Of course, I wanted another Tahoe until I went to the dealer and went into shock at the price. A friend told me to look at the Durango. I had owned Jeeps before and liked them a lot but needed the third row. Upon further investigation I found out this is a Jeep with the third row as its made on the same platform since the last four years. I needed the Hemi to tow boats and snowmobiles and wow, how cool a vehicle. And it has far superior gas mileage for the big powerful V-8 paired with the new Fiat 8 speed transmission. I wound up with the Citadel trim level and its plenty posh yet durable enough to last. I can't see having any regrets as I scoot around in this very peppy SUV. Brand loyalty can be a good thing but sometimes it pays to switch and big time in this case!

First Assessment
By Leo Chaney

2016 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Towing capacity and capability are key elements in addition to common safety, comfort, and technology features. That said dealer confirmed a 15 percent tongue weight to towing ratio for the Citadel

New vehicle
By Sco Stu

2016 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Purchased a "USED"... yes used 2016 Durango R/T with 65 miles on it (July 2016). With the addition of a second child (we opted for 2nd row captain chairs), our 2013 Audi Q5 3.0T Prem Plus, S-Line just did not have enough interior room. Durango is a nice vehicle for its size. The V8 is a must for the weight of this vehicle. Coming from a supercharged V6 german CUV, my wife could not stand the Dodge V6. The 8sp is smooth. We tested other American SUV's that had the quad captain chairs as options and the Durango ticked all our boxes for satisfaction. We liked the turbo-6 on the Ford explorer but not much else on that vehicle. U-Connect is intuitive, I just hope the touchscreen lasts. I will update later on longevity. Noted....our Audi had 60k miles when we traded and was absolutely flawless....NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM during the ownership.

Surprisingly Pleased!
By Michael Kuppe

2016 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

The 2016 Durango Citadel is a well-made, well designed full size SUV. The interior and exterior are well appointed and well designed, with great comfort and convenience items that are pleasing (vented driver and passenger seats) and start-stop technology. Two issue I've had so far: 1) is the fact that the 8 speed VVT transmission shifts roughly and even over revs when fast accelerating; 2) The cooling aspect in the HVAC seems to be having problems cooling effectively during some very hot days here in the Midwest. Hopefully a quick trip to the dealer can fix this. Other than these issues, the vehicle is great, so far.