Used 2014 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Pretty Pleased
By Nathan

2014 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Owned this 2014 Durango for two years and for the most part I'm pretty pleased with it. I like the automatic downshifting of transmission on hill descension. Yet, I've accidentally hit the shifting paddles and downshifted on freeway causing the RPM's to nearly blow engine. It has a lot of power for a V6 which is one reason I chose it above any others. I love the engine space to work on it if ever needed. The interior space is decent for a car in this class. There have been a couple of small repairs. The driver window had a crack inside the tinting and the entire window needed replacing. A trim grommet came out, but was easy to replace. I'm a little worried about the sunroof rubber seal beginning to pull away. It's not significant enough yet to cause a leak, but I'm watching to see what it does over time. I'm curious as to how long it will take me to replace the battery located under the passenger seat when the time comes. I do wish that Dodge would make the dash and interior pieces a lighter color...perhaps a gray or beige to keep the heat out of the vehicle. One regret, with low gas prices I want a V8. When I test drove the Hemi I noticed that it was extremely powerful and had a lot of low end torque. It was only a $4k more than the V6 which takes a bit to get moving. Also, it is a little difficult to see out of compared to my older pilot, tahoe, grand cherokee, and sequoia. I think that generally cars have less visibility with lower profile designs that the government mandated for mpg.

The Beast!
By Dodge_Man_Now

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I was always a Chevy man, but found Acadia's and Traverses to be uninspiring. I gave the dodge a test drive and instantly was impressed with the vehicle. I have the V-6, but it has a distinctive exciting rumble when I push the Ignition button. The pep and the fuel economy of the V6 mated with the 8 speed is great. What I love the most is the styling. The bold front grill makes a huge statement and reminds me of body on frame SUV's of the past. The interior is clean and sleek, but has a balance of both aggressiveness in the displays and class/refinement in the controls. The sportier suspension and long wheel base give this vehicle truck like ride quality, which I find tosses the soccer mom feel many crossover SUV's have developed right out the window. My only advice to new buyers is get the V-8 if you plan on using the vehicle for towing. The V6 is rated at 3500 lbs unless you have the HD cooling package and load leveling suspension. (you can add these things easily, but the manual technically does say all vehicles without the factory tow package are limited to 3500lbs towing.) The V-8's come ready to tow and only require a hitch and harness.

2014 Dodge Durango
By Greg Scheitel

2014 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Great vehicle for the family. We really like the comfort, handling, and storage of the vehicle. I really like the performance of the engine and how smooth it rides. I am a little disappointed in a couple features that I think should be standard features. I think for safety Chrysler should have the daytime running lights and the push button liftgate as standard. Overall a very stylish looking vehicle with good performance and family friendly.

My favorite vehicle
By Chris M

2014 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I wanted to write a review because satisfied customers rarely write reviews. We have had our Durango for over 2 years and absolutely love it. We didn't get the high end package, just the lowest level that also includes the towing package. We have a 20ft Forest River RPod camper that the Durango tows easily. I just recently used it tow the camper from Nevada to Illinois and had no problems whatsoever, except for 6 inches of expected snow while towing. The surefooted AWD Durango had no troubles whatsoever. The load leveling suspension works very well and I don't even have a weight distribution hitch, just sway control. There have been a couple of reprograms of the computer that were easily handled at home when Chrysler mailed a USB to do the update yourself. No biggie, glad they are staying on top of it. Most computer programs even on your home PC need updating at least once a month. So, we have been very, very pleased with our purchase and you just can't beat the styling.

Nightmare to own, great to look at
By Richard Watson

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

If you buy one of these cars, DO NOT get the high-end version. The citadel trim level is plagued with problems and they just never quit. The dealerships are poorly prepared to repair the car. You will frequently leave your car with them for days only to hear that they can't find or recreate the problem - FYI, make videos with your cell phone - it helps your sanity. It won't make them recreate anything, but at least when they are telling you it doesn't do that, you can say "oh, but what would this be then..."

In the first year of ownership, we wasted months between the dealership and Chrysler's Complaint line. Note that if you don't get the Chrysler complaint line involved early on, everything from the time you call them forward is a separate issue in their minds. At least 3 times in the first year, they rented us a car keeping our nice Durango for a middle of the line rental car, told us someone was flying out to look at it, waited for some part, returned the car to us, only to have it fail again!

When it is working, it's a wonderful car. The rest of the time, it'll make you insane.