2014 Dodge Durango SXT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2014 Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Sort Reviews by

My First Dodge.
By Jennifer Reynolds

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

My Husband and I upgraded to the 2014 Durango R/T in November 2014. There is about 4500 miles on it so far, and we couldn't be happier with it. We were previously in a 2013 Toyota Venza, and were in the market for a 3rd rower with our 2nd child on the way. The Durango's space is definitely an increase from the Venza, and a great help when you have a 3 year old picky with leg room. This SUV gives you more bang for your buck. I was usually the first to criticize Dodge, but this SUV changed me and my Husband during the test drive. No issues with the vehicle so far.

Favorite Features

It's a smooth and quiet ride, and we love the sound of the HEMI. We love the Blacktop package so much that we had to drive 3 1/2 hours to New Orleans to buy our Durango. The black on black makes this SUV look mean.

Suggested Improvements

I think the towing package should be standard with the R/T models considering that you already get the 5.7L. The automatic high beams turn on when its foggy, so I have to turn them off.

First Dodge product, overall we love it!
By Mary Samler

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

My wife and I purchased this 2014 Durango R/T in Nov 2014. We absolutely love this vehicle so far. We wanted a 3 row SUV and deemed this best in class. The 3rd row is actually usable by adults unlike some competitors. We have had 1 issue so far, which is currently ongoing, the SD card reader sometimes won't recognize the card is in there and I have to do a soft reset of the Uconnect to get it to work. This has happened twice for no apparent reason. Other than that, all is good. I have mostly owned Toyota's of all kinds in my life so it takes a lot to impress me and I am impressed so far. If this vehicle remains reliable in the long run, I will consider another Dodge again.

Favorite Features

Honestly, just about everything. UConnect - Easy to use, clear, responsive, intuitive - love the 8.4 screen with nav and SD reader when it works. Style - Easily the best looking SUV on the road. Hemi 8-speed combo - Tranny is butter and makes great use of the Hemi's power (turn off Eco mode for an even better driving experience). Exhaust note is lovely. Driving dynamics - Responsive, handles well, rides nice. My wife and I took a 400 mile road trip last weekend and this is an EXCELLENT road trip vehicle. Just so smooth and quiet. Interior - Comfortable and logically laid out. Plenty of space. Overall nice materials, soft touch plastics, with no squeaks/rattles to speak of.

Suggested Improvements

No vehicle is perfect, but this one is close. I put build quality at a 4 because there are some panel gaps that are greater than I am used to (hood to fender) and the gas door doesn't sit perfectly flush. The interior is perfect though in terms of fit and finish. Yes, I know I bought a V8, but continual fuel efficiency improvements are always welcome. Make blind spot monitoring standard. I didn't get it because it's part of an expensive package, but I had it on my old car and miss it. I think that's about it. Dodge has a home run with this one, just keeping my fingers crossed that reliability is as good as my Toyotas.

Not impressed...
By zoomzoomn

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We bought our Durango at the end of November. A week later the transmission cooler lines popped off while I was 2 hours from home leaving me stranded in an intersection. It took almost 2 weeks to get the car back at which time we found the underside still covered in ATF! Since then we have had problems with the following: alignment off, trash in paint, sunroof misadjusted, keyless entry memory inop, autoclimate malfunctions, audio system malfunctions and now the left rear window will not raise back up and appears to be off track. This is the worst "new car" that I have ever bought. We had planned to keep it for at least 6 years, but not too sure that will happen. Extremely disappointed!!!

Favorite Features

The electronics suite is generally really good and pretty intuitive to use. It is generally comfortable except over the harshest of pavement and handles well. The new 8 speed transmission really wakes up this V6 engine and the MPG has been decent at 20 overall in it's 4300 miles of service.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality is now approaching poor! If this car is indicative of what FCA is buiding then god help them in making it in this country. Most every problem that we have and are experiencing has a direct relation to either poor assembly (trans lines, alignment, window regulator) and/or underdevelopement (numerous electronics gremlins).

Hemi problem with blue (oil) smoke
By cherden721

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I had 1500 miles when I noticed every time it was started it would leave me engulfed in a cloud of blue smoke. Took back to dealer and they replaced all the valves. Next day, same issue with the smoke. Following week 2 new heads we installed. Finally, it doesn't smoke. Customer Care stated that the oil dip stick is too short for the hemi and the wrong oil pans have been installed but NO recall will follow. Found the same issue for others on the Dodge forum website. I was lucky that my dealer replaced the heads. More buyers are not as lucky, Dodge tells them there is NO problems. Have lost all faith in the Dodge line. BEWARE HEMI OWNERS!!

Favorite Features

Love the NAV UCONNET !! It is the easiest GPS I've ever had or used. Love the heated steering wheel on cold mornings! Interior is pretty nice, but not happy where they put the cd player, takes up the entire console area. Wrong placement for that designers. Tows really nice and the paddle shifting works nice. Love the v-8 hemi power and the new body style.

Suggested Improvements

Change the cd player location. Does not belong in the console. Takes up storage space as the glove box is useless too. Fix the blue smoke problem for others. Customer Care told others that it was because they overfilled the oil. PLEASE!! I had 1500 miles on it, didn't need to fill the oil, so what would the excuse be for mine? Others have less mileage and they have the smoke. Its an embarrassment to the Dodge product line.

Bad Transmission
By 3murraykids

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I traded in a 2012 Suburban for my 2014 Durango because of MPG. I bought it in April of 2014. When I hit about 19000 miles my car wouldn't allow me to go into gear. I took it to the dealership and they kept it for 2 days. Got it back and a week later it did the same thing. They kept it 3 days. Got it back and a week later same thing. I was going out of town and needed it so didn't take it back till I got back. It has now been there for an entire month. I had to get a new transmission in a new car. The dealership even told me that after the 2nd time, but Chrysler made them do stuff in order to try to fix it. I'm done with Dodge, back to a big SUV for me.

Favorite Features

Love the DVD players in the seat! Captain chairs in 2nd row Navigation

Suggested Improvements

Don't make it where you have to get a sunroof with navigation. That's so annoying. Not good for tall people. Make a better product. If there are known problems fix them and don't make your customers wait for back ordered parts and do things in an order knowing what the problem really is

My Favorite Car!
By mike7894

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

My first car was a '65 Mustang which I bought in 1969. Since then, I have owned a lot of automobiles including Lincoln MKX, Lexus RX 350, Ford Explorer and Nissan Murano SUVs. I've owned my 2014 Durango Citadel (with 5.7L Hemi) for 14 months now and it is hands down my favorite. It gives a solid yet comfortable ride both highway and city. The seating is comfortable and spacious...even the third row handles 6 footers no problems. Vehicle utility is outstanding. It is very stylish - in and out - without being gaudy and is and well apportioned. All the small appurtenances and design features really add value to the overall experience. It is very simply a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

5.7L Hemi power (YES!), 8-speed trans, ride comfort, adaptive cruise, overall seating comfort, interior layout, turning radius. Last....I really like the solid, "muscle" look of the car. I just couldn't see myself driving around in Grandpa's Buick Enclave (okay, I am a Grandpa).

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint by far is with the built in GPS. I really wish they would have used a more powerful chipset. I find it slow and "clunky" at best...I get better utility from my iPhone. To be fair, out of my last three cars: Lincoln MKX, Lexus RX 350 and Chrysler 300C, the GPS in the Durango is about as good (or bad) as the rest of them. Also, the climate control often seems to be a bit out of sync with my settings.

Pleasantly surprised
By chewmt

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought this vehicle for my wife solely for the comfortable seats. Out of all the vehicles we tried out the Durango was the most configurable by far. We now have 22k miles on this car and I still can't believe how good it drives. There has only been 1 issue and that was a loose bolt on the steering shaft that caused some play in the steering. Quickly about me, I'm a little pickier than most when it comes to vehicle quirks. I've done all the oil changes myself on this car to this point and do like the unique filters this engine uses. This is easily one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. I'd put it in the realm of an Audi or the new Cadillac though not as nice of an interior obviously

Favorite Features

Pros - Fantastic transmission - Pentastar V6 is a great engine with plenty of power. - Interior is comfortable, all the electronics are intuitive. - Drives great at all speeds, great on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Cons - Depreciation, this is common amongst all SUVs. - Transmission, the only issue is when the car is cold it shifts slightly harder out of first. I'd hate to know what a 8 speed auto costs to replace. - Electronics lag when the temperature gets low and the car hasn't warmed up. - Leather is a little thin. It's consistent with vehicles in this price point but it is something I noticed.

Yes, It Will Tow
By califas

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

First off, like all the other reviews, I was surprised how good this vehicle is. We are a family of 5 and use it for daily driving, winter trips to the Sierras, and towing a 5000 lb boat up to a mountain lake. Dropping around 400 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch, it sags only 1.5 inches at the center of the rear wheel arch. The V-8 has plenty of torque and the 8 speed transmission is just amazing. Elegant power-on downshifts without the usual jerking at the hitch. Utterly planted and stable while cruising, as good as my previous Denali XL. No bouncing and swaying typical of an overstressed tow vehicle. Backup camera is awesome for hitching and it even has a transmission temp gauge.

Favorite Features

While slightly narrower than the Acura MDX we traded-in, has more 3 across rear seating comfort than the Acura or Merc GL450. 3rd row is better than anything except the Suburban and minivans. The controls are really, really smartly designed. It even has a touch screen button that allows the driver to fold down the third row headrests. OMG, who was the wizard who thought of that??!! The R/T has a fun Jeckyl and Hyde character. Pottering around town it is a typical Mommy SUV. But gas it and the pipes open up like a proper Polara police interceptor!

Suggested Improvements

The turn signal is spaced about half an inch too far from the steering wheel. I wish they had more red ones available (the white one I bought off the lot is OK but a little too conservative) and it's too bad that after I bought my 2014, I read that that the 2015 R/T will have an option for red guts, the all-black interiors being a bit severe. That's it, I love this truck. Fiat/Chrysler did an incredible job.

Durango Has Musscle and Cool Factor That Beats the Rest
By deerob

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I recently bought a 2014 Dodge Durango R/T. Have only put about 500 miles on it, but I thought I would share some impressions and minor gripes. Overall, I love this car and am very happy with it. I looked at the Highlander, Traverse, and to a lesser extent the Pilot, Pathfinder, Explorer, Acadia, Santa Fe, and Mazda CX9. Things that mattered to me were 3d row seating and towing, since I would like to get (but have not yet gotten) a boat. ;-) The Durango is far and away the class leader w/ tow capacity.

Favorite Features

Aside from the tow capacity, things that stood out for us included interior and exterior styling, conveniences, and drive quality. Love the UConnect control system, which most professional reviewers seem to rank as an industry-best. The shifting on the 8-speed transmission is smooth, responsive, and aggressive when called upon. Beats the hell out of my wife’s Forester, which is about as responsive as a lawn mower. In the end, the Durango just looked and felt cool and luxurious in a way that the competitors we looked at didn’t match. Another minor advantage is a nearly-best-in-class turning circle (trust me, compare to the Traverse and you will be amazed at parking lot maneuverability).

Suggested Improvements

Imperfections I have noticed so far are minor, but include the following: eco mode, which makes for sluggish shifting, defaults to “on” every time you start the vehicle; stiff steering in the R/T; middle headrests do not move (annoying for threading the anchor on my 3yr-old’s car seat); the radio does not have a “scan” function for stations (c’mon Dodge, that technology is like 25 years old); the interface w/ an iPhone plugged into the USB is buggy; and the premium 9-spkr stereo system is lackluster (Notwithstanding the claim of “premium” audio, hardly anything is offered to control it. There is a three-channel equalizer. Three. My mom’s 1992 Dodge Caravan had a 5 channel equalizer).

Perfect Ride
By gvtrai58

2014 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I was born in the 60's and grew up in the 70's when Chrysler didn't exactly have the best reputation among auto makers. I discovered the 2014 Durango because I use one very frequently for the company I work for. I couldn't believe how quiet and smooth the ride is. I used to joke around about the Durango being as smooth as a Mercedes. Then, I found out it shares the same platform as the Mercedes GL series. So, when my wife needed another vehicle I decided to get her a Durango. She picked out a 2014 Rallye package and loves it. The kids love it. The car is so quiet and smooth. The gas mileage is great. After 8000 miles we average about 22mpg. No maintenance issues.

Favorite Features

The 8 speed automatic transmission ensures great gas mileage for a vehicle this size. The 24.6 gallon gas tank keeps you from having to gas as often as other vehicles. The 20"wheels (Rallye pkg) with Good Years add to the good value of the car. The price of this car compared to other 3 row SUVs makes it a super value. The ride is very refined and polished.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the Bumper to Bumper warranty was longer than 36000 miles. The powertrain goes to 100000 but the car has a lot of electronics which would not be covered by the powertrain warranty.