2014 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

High Maintenance spouse
By Brian Smith

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Beautiful vehicle but I am not sure a high end Dodge is a great choice. It seems Dodge is still figuring out how to implement gadgets properly. - Gas mileage is shockingly good if you manually shift. - Acceleration on the six cylinder is not as good as I had hoped (Wife purchased the car when i was out of town). However, it is not horrible. - Tow rating is too low, now I have to buy a truck to tow the camper I want - A/C went out on summer road trip from Texas. Dealership support was unsympathetic and very poor. After multiple trips to dealerships on the trip, it was finally fixed - Equalizer settings are quirky. Turn down the base and the midrange turns up. Dodge cannot figure it out - Plastic trim on the dash near the windshield sticks up. It isn't flush. it looks ugly. Dodge replaced and the new piece is the same. Overall, i love the vehicle, but Dodge has some things to figure out. Particularly on a 48k list vehicle.

My First Dodge.
By Jennifer Reynolds

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

My Husband and I upgraded to the 2014 Durango R/T in November 2014. There is about 4500 miles on it so far, and we couldn't be happier with it. We were previously in a 2013 Toyota Venza, and were in the market for a 3rd rower with our 2nd child on the way. The Durango's space is definitely an increase from the Venza, and a great help when you have a 3 year old picky with leg room. This SUV gives you more bang for your buck. I was usually the first to criticize Dodge, but this SUV changed me and my Husband during the test drive. No issues with the vehicle so far.

It's a smooth and quiet ride, and we love the sound of the HEMI. We love the Blacktop package so much that we had to drive 3 1/2 hours to New Orleans to buy our Durango. The black on black makes this SUV look mean.

I think the towing package should be standard with the R/T models considering that you already get the 5.7L. The automatic high beams turn on when its foggy, so I have to turn them off.

First Dodge product, overall we love it!
By Mary Samler

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

My wife and I purchased this 2014 Durango R/T in Nov 2014. We absolutely love this vehicle so far. We wanted a 3 row SUV and deemed this best in class. The 3rd row is actually usable by adults unlike some competitors. We have had 1 issue so far, which is currently ongoing, the SD card reader sometimes won't recognize the card is in there and I have to do a soft reset of the Uconnect to get it to work. This has happened twice for no apparent reason. Other than that, all is good. I have mostly owned Toyota's of all kinds in my life so it takes a lot to impress me and I am impressed so far. If this vehicle remains reliable in the long run, I will consider another Dodge again.

Honestly, just about everything. UConnect - Easy to use, clear, responsive, intuitive - love the 8.4 screen with nav and SD reader when it works. Style - Easily the best looking SUV on the road. Hemi 8-speed combo - Tranny is butter and makes great use of the Hemi's power (turn off Eco mode for an even better driving experience). Exhaust note is lovely. Driving dynamics - Responsive, handles well, rides nice. My wife and I took a 400 mile road trip last weekend and this is an EXCELLENT road trip vehicle. Just so smooth and quiet. Interior - Comfortable and logically laid out. Plenty of space. Overall nice materials, soft touch plastics, with no squeaks/rattles to speak of.

No vehicle is perfect, but this one is close. I put build quality at a 4 because there are some panel gaps that are greater than I am used to (hood to fender) and the gas door doesn't sit perfectly flush. The interior is perfect though in terms of fit and finish. Yes, I know I bought a V8, but continual fuel efficiency improvements are always welcome. Make blind spot monitoring standard. I didn't get it because it's part of an expensive package, but I had it on my old car and miss it. I think that's about it. Dodge has a home run with this one, just keeping my fingers crossed that reliability is as good as my Toyotas.

Not impressed...
By zoomzoomn

2014 Dodge Durango SUV Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We bought our Durango at the end of November. A week later the transmission cooler lines popped off while I was 2 hours from home leaving me stranded in an intersection. It took almost 2 weeks to get the car back at which time we found the underside still covered in ATF! Since then we have had problems with the following: alignment off, trash in paint, sunroof misadjusted, keyless entry memory inop, autoclimate malfunctions, audio system malfunctions and now the left rear window will not raise back up and appears to be off track. This is the worst "new car" that I have ever bought. We had planned to keep it for at least 6 years, but not too sure that will happen. Extremely disappointed!!!

The electronics suite is generally really good and pretty intuitive to use. It is generally comfortable except over the harshest of pavement and handles well. The new 8 speed transmission really wakes up this V6 engine and the MPG has been decent at 20 overall in it's 4300 miles of service.

Build quality is now approaching poor! If this car is indicative of what FCA is buiding then god help them in making it in this country. Most every problem that we have and are experiencing has a direct relation to either poor assembly (trans lines, alignment, window regulator) and/or underdevelopement (numerous electronics gremlins).

Hemi problem with blue (oil) smoke
By cherden721

2014 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I had 1500 miles when I noticed every time it was started it would leave me engulfed in a cloud of blue smoke. Took back to dealer and they replaced all the valves. Next day, same issue with the smoke. Following week 2 new heads we installed. Finally, it doesn't smoke. Customer Care stated that the oil dip stick is too short for the hemi and the wrong oil pans have been installed but NO recall will follow. Found the same issue for others on the Dodge forum website. I was lucky that my dealer replaced the heads. More buyers are not as lucky, Dodge tells them there is NO problems. Have lost all faith in the Dodge line. BEWARE HEMI OWNERS!!

Love the NAV UCONNET !! It is the easiest GPS I've ever had or used. Love the heated steering wheel on cold mornings! Interior is pretty nice, but not happy where they put the cd player, takes up the entire console area. Wrong placement for that designers. Tows really nice and the paddle shifting works nice. Love the v-8 hemi power and the new body style.

Change the cd player location. Does not belong in the console. Takes up storage space as the glove box is useless too. Fix the blue smoke problem for others. Customer Care told others that it was because they overfilled the oil. PLEASE!! I had 1500 miles on it, didn't need to fill the oil, so what would the excuse be for mine? Others have less mileage and they have the smoke. Its an embarrassment to the Dodge product line.