Never thought I'd be back in a Dodge.
By josm on
2012 Dodge Durango Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
After a couple of foreign cars I'm back in a dodge and my first SUV. We traded a mazda 5 for this as we had a third kid recently and the 5 (although great) was just too small. The Durango is a beautiful machine, it's well made and drives very well. My biggest surprise is the mpgs. I've only had it a few days but I'm consistently getting 18-19 mpgs in the city. Also on a hilly drive home from the dealership in Jefferson City MO to Columbia MO I averaged 25.4 mpgs. Both these numbers beat our minivan. Our little mazda 5 only got 22 not mater where or how I drove it. Just keep that rev counter in the green zone and you'll match me easily.
Favorite Features
Keyless enter and go. push start. Pandora playing from my phone via blue tooth with an excellent controller to change tracks on the dash screen itself. 3 car seats across the bench seat, although snug the right combination of seats would easily fit. The ride, the handling, the fuel economy for an AWD.
Suggested Improvements
The 5 speed is a little confused on the hills at hwy speed. I need to play with it to find the right speed to set the cruse. 75 seems to work a lot better than anything under 70. There is an eight speed coming out next year that could be worth it. In the city this is not a problem at all and the tranny works great. Access too the rear seats is a little awkward, a little tweaking could help. Over all the durango is a great place to be, I highly recommend it. We also looked at the pilot which seems like a nice car but is noisy as hell on the road and the dash makes the car look $10k cheaper than what they're asking. The explorer was nice too and drove great but access to the 3rd row sucked