Used 2012 Dodge Durango Crew SUV Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Dodge made big changes for the Durango
By Kyle

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start this by adding that my family has had several SUV experience (2010 Escalade, 2002 GMC Denali, 1998 Dodge Durango, 2005 Dodge Durango) and have test driven a few "newer" SUV's of several brands.

Our overall impression with this newer Durango thus far is that it is very impressive. It has a lot more room than we had expected (especially compared to the generation we had before the remake), and the seats are 10x better than before. Dodge finally woke up and realized that ergonomics are a big deal, and I think they hit the nail on the head with this car. Air conditioning vents are everywhere in the back; 115v Ac outlet in the middle row, multiple charging ports, etc (the things you don't notice at first until you're the one in the back) and the Alpine system sounds very good for a stock radio (ours came with an 8" sub in the back). 3rd row seating is a little cramped but not bad even for full grown people. The fit and finish is very good (much better than others I have looked at around the same model year. There is more plushness on everything and less plastic everywhere.

The v6 and tranny seem to match well and have not given us a single hiccup. We have now taken this car across the eastern portion of the country multiple times and have seen 24-25mpg when traveling 70-75mph (loaded down) and 22-23mpg another time when loaded down with a cargo top going 75-80mph. Mixed/city we see 19mpg. We are thoroughly impressed with its mpg considering its size.

As far as drivability, I think this car is right on par as far as ride quality with other competitors. It is actually very similar, if not better than, the 2010 Escalade that my sister owns. It also has a good turning radius for a full size SUV. It has definitely exceeded our expectations, but that could have been because we switched from a 2005 Durango (not good interiors, mpg, or drivability). We hope that this car lasts as long as the other one though (200k+ miles). Only time will tell. It is unfortunate to see that some people are having issues, because we have had ZERO other than getting recall mail that we have not taken it in for yet.

Downsides:
- the front screen does not play the DVDs once the car is put in drive
- storage space with the third row up is not all that enticing (but very usable - might be a personal opinion... But it's not like a Yukon Denali)
- Bluetooth has rather low quality sound when streaming music; it probably needs fixed but we don't want to take it in to get charged something ridiculous

Hope this helps someone else!

If there was a cliff near by..
By Sean

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This was the biggest letdown experience I have ever had in a vehicle purchase.
I could not even drive this truck! Every time the vehicle would shift my head would go forward as it lagged until the RPM's slowly got up there and which shift again and my head would go forward and lag.. Anybody to say different its just a Dodge fan and there sticking to their guns.. and that's it!! I have a 2002 trailblazer that the durango don't even come close too! I believe the newer ones with the v6 they put a better transmission in. Dad should have a slap on the wrist for putting this vehicle out I will never buy a Dodge again because of it

Great Choice!
By Philip Tseng

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The high initial depreciation makes this SUV an compelling buy if you're looking for a relatively-new SUV. I appreciate the narrow body and tight turning radius which makes parking easier in parking lots and garage. The ride is smooth and quiet. I am getting 19/24 mpg.

Fantastic SUV, it just can't get any better
By ggms16

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is a fantastic vehicle.. And I have owned many many cars before, this is one of the vehicles I love the most. I've always had BMW's and Mercedes (Still have) and I love german technology, I think Mercedes Benz ownership over Chrysler inherit a lot of nice features, this truck handles like a german SUV, its not short on anything, it is very comfortable, amazingly nicely equipped and very attractive, fantastic MPG. I get around 22mpg in average driving here in Orlando, FL. Don't ever think twice if you are buying one, this car is amazing.
Similar cars owned before:
- Chevy Tahoe 2007
- Ford Explorer V8 2007, Explorer V8 2010
- Toyota Tundra 08
- Toyota FJ Cruiser 08
- Grand Cherokee 07

- Uconnect system - Audio System - Huge and comfortable rear seats (Even 3rd row) - Standard rearview camera and sensors - Magnificent chassis quality - Refined ride - Road noise is incredibly low - MPG - Almost everything else.

None that I can recall right now. This suv is awesome

love this car
By dipetlover

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2012 dodge durango, after much consideration. This is the 1st suv/crossover i have owned, and I love it.
It is fun to drive, handles like a dream, u-turns on a dime, and has enough room for my 2 grandsons age 7 & 8, and my daughter that has 2 toddlers in car seats. I had considered the Honda Pilot, the Ford Explorer and the GMC Acadia. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

I love the Keyless remote start, touchscreen radio, parking sensor, backup camera is really cool, digital readouts on dash that can be customized to your liking.