Used 2012 Dodge Durango R/T SUV Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Great looks with a very poor heart.
By Oscar Vargas

2012 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Currently own a 2012 Citadel V8 5.7 Hemi. The vehicle looks great very attractive lines, comfort, technology and gadgets... However where it lacks is in its engine
this vehicle came with a few problems and Dodge does very little to help customers.
The engine suddenly turns off while driving." Be a Magician when this Happens " Or embrace yourself for a potential accident. What do I do? I put the vehicle in neutral and with a soft touch to the brake pedal Start the vehicle again and go. This was supposed to be a recall and dodge is fixing it ... BS I did took the car to the dealership, corrected the recall and still doing it.
The other issue is the rattling whenever you try to accelerate to pass someone or to floor the car a bit. Check engine light comes and goes, the computer shows cylinder misfires. Like I said I have nothing to complaint in the looks or technology is the engine that came with issues and Dodge don't stand behind it.

Add to your short list of med sized SUVs
By willmilw

2012 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased the 2012 R/T just a little over one week ago and absolutely love the handling, styling and interior quality and amenities

My mandatory prerequisites were towing capacity, AWD (darn WI inters) usable third row seat, rear camera (have two dogs who love to hide behind my vehicle), good handling and looks.
I did wanted an aggressive looking ride with contemporary styling.

I did my homework and the Durango came out on top compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander.

Although you feel road imperfections a little more in the R/T its handling is exceptional for a vehicle of this size. The powerful V8 should easily allow towing in mountainous areas. Going thru the Blue Ridge mountains with a V6 did not seem appropriate. Interior and exterior amenities are exceptional. I have never owned a fully loaded vehicle (adjusting headlights, load leveling for towing, nav system, headted seats, self dimming mirror, etc) and now cannot live without them. I am easy on the pedal and am pleased with the 12.7 miles per gallon in the city Should easily get the EPA HGW wmileage considering the 6 speed transmission. Big selling point my wife loved the vehicle

Engine would benefit from Chrysler's new 8 speed transmission. I couldn't wait for this improvement and happy I didn't.