Used 2012 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Four Years Ownership and Going Strong
By Overland Park, Kansas

2012 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Owned this Durango R/T AWD for four years and have no regrets. You get what you pay for, only get the Durango R/T model. Still looks outstanding and performs exceptional everyday of the week. I owned a Lexus LX470 prior to this vehicle and this Durango R/T has been better in every way. The sheer acceleration when needed is great and the fuel economy when not needed is much better than the Lexus LX470. The handling on sharp corners like on California Route 1 is like a sports car and the long haul driving on Interstates is comfortable. I can drive many days of over 800 miles without problems even at my age of 50 years old. Best vehicle that I have ever owned!

Dodge made big changes for the Durango
By Kyle

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start this by adding that my family has had several SUV experience (2010 Escalade, 2002 GMC Denali, 1998 Dodge Durango, 2005 Dodge Durango) and have test driven a few "newer" SUV's of several brands.

Our overall impression with this newer Durango thus far is that it is very impressive. It has a lot more room than we had expected (especially compared to the generation we had before the remake), and the seats are 10x better than before. Dodge finally woke up and realized that ergonomics are a big deal, and I think they hit the nail on the head with this car. Air conditioning vents are everywhere in the back; 115v Ac outlet in the middle row, multiple charging ports, etc (the things you don't notice at first until you're the one in the back) and the Alpine system sounds very good for a stock radio (ours came with an 8" sub in the back). 3rd row seating is a little cramped but not bad even for full grown people. The fit and finish is very good (much better than others I have looked at around the same model year. There is more plushness on everything and less plastic everywhere.

The v6 and tranny seem to match well and have not given us a single hiccup. We have now taken this car across the eastern portion of the country multiple times and have seen 24-25mpg when traveling 70-75mph (loaded down) and 22-23mpg another time when loaded down with a cargo top going 75-80mph. Mixed/city we see 19mpg. We are thoroughly impressed with its mpg considering its size.

As far as drivability, I think this car is right on par as far as ride quality with other competitors. It is actually very similar, if not better than, the 2010 Escalade that my sister owns. It also has a good turning radius for a full size SUV. It has definitely exceeded our expectations, but that could have been because we switched from a 2005 Durango (not good interiors, mpg, or drivability). We hope that this car lasts as long as the other one though (200k+ miles). Only time will tell. It is unfortunate to see that some people are having issues, because we have had ZERO other than getting recall mail that we have not taken it in for yet.

Downsides:
- the front screen does not play the DVDs once the car is put in drive
- storage space with the third row up is not all that enticing (but very usable - might be a personal opinion... But it's not like a Yukon Denali)
- Bluetooth has rather low quality sound when streaming music; it probably needs fixed but we don't want to take it in to get charged something ridiculous

Hope this helps someone else!

If there was a cliff near by..
By Sean

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This was the biggest letdown experience I have ever had in a vehicle purchase.
I could not even drive this truck! Every time the vehicle would shift my head would go forward as it lagged until the RPM's slowly got up there and which shift again and my head would go forward and lag.. Anybody to say different its just a Dodge fan and there sticking to their guns.. and that's it!! I have a 2002 trailblazer that the durango don't even come close too! I believe the newer ones with the v6 they put a better transmission in. Dad should have a slap on the wrist for putting this vehicle out I will never buy a Dodge again because of it

Great looks with a very poor heart.
By Oscar Vargas

2012 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Currently own a 2012 Citadel V8 5.7 Hemi. The vehicle looks great very attractive lines, comfort, technology and gadgets... However where it lacks is in its engine
this vehicle came with a few problems and Dodge does very little to help customers.
The engine suddenly turns off while driving." Be a Magician when this Happens " Or embrace yourself for a potential accident. What do I do? I put the vehicle in neutral and with a soft touch to the brake pedal Start the vehicle again and go. This was supposed to be a recall and dodge is fixing it ... BS I did took the car to the dealership, corrected the recall and still doing it.
The other issue is the rattling whenever you try to accelerate to pass someone or to floor the car a bit. Check engine light comes and goes, the computer shows cylinder misfires. Like I said I have nothing to complaint in the looks or technology is the engine that came with issues and Dodge don't stand behind it.

Great Choice!
By Philip Tseng

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The high initial depreciation makes this SUV an compelling buy if you're looking for a relatively-new SUV. I appreciate the narrow body and tight turning radius which makes parking easier in parking lots and garage. The ride is smooth and quiet. I am getting 19/24 mpg.