Dynamic Dodge: A Fan is Born!
By 1atomic on
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
I'm a new fan of Chrysler & Dodge after this recent purchase. The very best 4X4 out there. Incredible on boulevard or back road. As a former Cadillac Escalade owner, I saved over 20 grand for an even better SUV. Nearly bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, but waited for the Durango to gain extra seating capacity & cargo room. Elected the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 w/ AWD edition in Citadel trim. Loads of creature comforts as standard w/ few options at extremely reasonable prices. Absolutely no unsightly panel gaps. The new '11 is superior to everything in its class. I am pleased to have ordered my Durango w/ every option & all available packages - not possible w/ a Range Rover, Cadillac or Lincoln.
Favorite Features
The new Durango's the greatest SUV on and offroad, on par w/ the class leading '11 JGC . Test drove the great V6, but opted for the Hemi. Regular unleaded is a bonus & mid 20mpg & 24.6 fuel tank capacity make long trips and straight through comfortable cruising possible. The leather interior is of Bentley quality. The sunroof is large, but there is no panoramic opt., as on the Jeep (std. on Overland). Not an issue here. The rugged good looks, polished interior features, best paint sheen I've seen, super large screen Garmin brand navigation is easy to see & operate, even by the driver traveling the speed limit & keeping eyes on the road. Leg room, even in 3rd row is class leading. The best!
Suggested Improvements
Seats are perfectly firm w/ ample cushioning for superior supportive sitting for extended periods of time. 3rd seat is befitting of 6' adults, a first, I'd say. Every switch works like a Swiss clock: precise. Other likes: lack of blind spots, massive macho grille, choice of styles, safety features, warranty, service agreement, free maintenance program std. & killer looks & thumb's up from admirers of all ages. Cool vehicle for sure! There is nothing to improve. No complaints. My only recommendations: A panoramic roof option; simpler, more logical trim level names (now hard to remember), hybrid & diesel versions would seal the deal. Dodge has a real winner. I'm buying my wife a 2011 Jeep.
By onawhim
on 02/05/11 19:06 PM (PST)

I also tried the JGC 11 and really liked it then decided to wait for the Durango. I am interested in the same vehicle you chose with a tow hitch. I am wondering what you paid for yours and where you got it. I am in the Boston area. They are just starting to turn up here.

By cornell1
on 02/06/11 12:21 PM (PST)

Hi! Thank you for responding. The car is awesome. Fully loaded, I paid just below $38,000 and what a bargain. Sticker was roughly $43,000. It is very Lexus-like as far as interior comfort but even more "sturdy" feeling, perhaps BMW-like describes it better... but so unique with nothing else like it. The JGC is fantastic, too, but drive both as they have different personalities. I bought my Durango outside of Rochester, NY, but any dealer should order exactly what you want :)

By onawhim
on 02/06/11 12:33 PM (PST)

You got a Citadel with Hemi for $38K? Do you have tow package and rear DVD also? Any other options? That seems like a great price and about 10K below the MSRP they are asking around here. It really helps for me to know that. I really like the car and think that you are right about the quality and value compared to other "luxury" SUV's for 15 - 20 K more. I just hope the reliability matches the apparent quality. Thanks again for the info and enjoy!

By villaindoc
on 02/13/11 22:16 PM (PST)

Hello all, I have to agree, I too looked at the JGC 11 and thought about buying it several times but I have waited for a number of reasons. Now the Durango seems to give me everything that I want and I have an appointment to test drive it next week. I too would like to know how you got the Citadel for 38k? If you are willing to share the salesman name, I might be willing to give him a call for that price! Good for you though, that is a great price for that model with those features.

By lilredcorvt
on 03/03/11 11:59 AM (PST)

Acura has lost one of its customers...I was ready to buy a 2011 MDX until I saw and did a test drive on the new Durango. I could not believe the turnaround Dodge/Chrysler did on their products, its a far cry from previous generation of Dodge/Chrysler vehicles. I'm telling you its totally different you have to test drive the Durango to believe. Fit, finish, quality of the materials and driving dynamics rivals that of the imports. I did my test drive last week on a Citadel trim pkg with the 5.7 hemi V8, it was a smooth solid feeling, nice linear steering feel, suspension was just perfect and no rattles/squeaks in the vehicle....it feels like driving an import. I'll be ordering mine in a couple of months - Citadel trim pkg with all the bells and whistles I'll save at least 10 grand since the MDX are quite pricey IMHO.

By glockfan
on 03/06/11 11:04 AM (PST)

WOW! Can you get a loaded Citadel 4WD for $38k? Please advise where and I will order mine now. I love the look of the new Durango.

By lilredcorvt
on 03/07/11 09:12 AM (PST)

Try a few car buying services, like carwoo or usaa I've seen they have better prices offered than the dealership's advertised.

By m_nelsen
on 03/12/11 19:09 PM (PST)

The sticker in IL for the AWD Hemi is over 46K with the destination charge. I too would like to know where you bought this vehicle for that price it would be worth the drive.

By kgp
on 04/04/11 16:58 PM (PDT)

For pricing you can look at truecar.com or the edmunds pricing utility. I find 38K (~1400 below actual dealer cost) hard to believe...

By lovetocamp3
on 04/20/11 20:03 PM (PDT)

What are you getting for gas mileage?