Used 2008 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Larger SUV for expanding family.
By wilpwr78

2008 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We recently traded in our Jeep Liberty Renegade for a 2008 Durango SLT with the newly redone 4.7L V8. We couldn't be happier with our decision. The 3.7L in the Jeep was a gas hog (maybe due to my heavy foot) even on long 55mph drives the best MPG I could get were 18. What it lacked in efficiency it didn't make up with space. That is there the Durango rules. Plenty of power from the 303hp V8 on hand for passing slo-pokes. Haven't put the 330lbs of tor que to use yet, but look forward to pulling with it soon.

Favorite Features

We love the space, the power on hand and the styling of this vehicle. The body on frame construction will be appreciated when it comes time to tow. We have not used E85 but feel like it might come in handy if we take a long trip across flat lands. The SLT has some nice features standard, but our added sunroof is entertaining for the youngsters in the backseat. The Red Inferno Pearl looks gorgeous and stands out among the sea of white/silver Durangos all over the roads of America. The rear doors open 90degrees making it easy to get kids/cargo in and out of the middle of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

We are a family of four with both of our children still in child seats and there is plenty of room in the middle seats for the safety seats. I will note that the larger, fancier child seats have a hard time rear facing, due to the angle of the Dodges seat. The four OEM speakers in the SLT leave a lot to be desired, but that is an easy fix. Replacing 16 spark plugs will get pricey when tune-up time arrives. It would be cool if the 4.7 had the cylinder cut-out of the 5.7 but the sticker savings reflects the lack of this feature in a fair way. If you are looking at a used Durango, 2008 or newer. The 235hp V8 is a waste of time for a vehicle this heavy.

Update!
By austinp

2008 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Durango just hit 74000 miles today with no problems out of it. It is the best car we have ever owned. We just put running boards and new tires on it. The salesman who sold us the Durango was there trying to get us to trade it for a new 2011 Durango. Our Durango appraised very well but I don't really like the 2011 Durango. I have no complaints against my Durango, it has the best a/c I've ever used. I will be keeping my Durango until it gives up!

Favorite Features

A/C Rear A/C AWD Third Row Seat Sirius

Suggested Improvements

None

Excellent Value
By austinp

2008 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Our Durango SLT has been absolutely flawless. When the salesman pulled it up for us to see we instantly hated it. We would NEVER own a white car. We however got an excellent price on it. We did not know when we bought it how commited it was. It just hit 65000 miles on the odometer and still looks new! The Engine has always started first try and it has never failed us. The 4.7 has been a pleasure to drive, it's very fuel efficient and is very powerful. It will haul 7 People with ease. It runs real quite until you step on it then you get a powerful growl. We have had absolutely no issues with it. We expect great things from Chrysler and will continue to buy from them.

Favorite Features

4.7 AWD Rear Air Sirius Radio 6 Disc CD Changer 3rd Row ESP

Suggested Improvements

Give Durango a 6 Speed instead of a 5 Speed.

Great to pull my Travel Trailer
By Dave

2008 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was a bit worried since my 28' travel trailer weighs 6,000 but the Durango 4.7 V8 pulls it like a champ! Better than my 2001 Toyota Tundra did and it handles great. I average 16 mpg around town and 18 on the interstate. Good vision, comfortable on long trips, fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Powerful 4.7 V8, I was afraid I'd need the 5.7 but don't!

Suggested Improvements

Sound system is weak, can't enjoy music as I'd like.

My Maroon Beast.
By Bill Woessner

2008 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

What can I say but,this vehicle can do it all.Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned.This HEMI will blow by any stock equipped truck out there.I live in hilly Western Pennsylvania and can tow anything from my Six-Pack Charger to my Chris-Craft Cruiser.The all 4WD plows through the worst snow we have and climbs any muddy trail I put it through. There is so much room that a family of 7 can enjoy a long trip.With the seats down I can load 4x8 sheets of drywall or plywood or move any youngster to college. The power leather heated seats feel like you are on a cloud. This vehicle is such a head turner with the maroon paint and 20 inch chrome wheels.

Favorite Features

There are so many to talk about.The oversize Sunroof will put a smile on your sunny face.The gps/6 disc cd player makes you sing. The kids love the DVD movie theater and 2nd row quad seats.The rear camera/backup sensors help when hooking up the boat.The self opening rear hatch helps

Suggested Improvements

A cold air intake and a Flowmaster Cat-back exhaust system increased fuel mileage to 16 city and 22 highway mpg.The factory should have a standard towing 3rd brake box and bigger outside mirrors as standard equipment.I would not change anything else on this vehicle.