Used 2005 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Bad Decision
By Steve in Omaha

2005 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck because it was my best bang for the buck and it was safe for all the kids. It was and it is. The truck has really disappointed though. Cheaply built, I have rust already, chrome door handles are falling apart. Strange dash lights go and off. Cruise control works, then doesn't. And don't do like I did and get one without traction control. This thing fishtails in snow like a 68 Camaro (whether in AWD or 4WD). On top of all that, the resale value seems to be tied to some sort of very heavy financial based anchor. I like the Hemi and it always starts, so there's the positive. I should have spent 8k more and purchased a GM product.

The Hemi motor.

Send Durango owners an apology and some sort of trade in check so they can get out from under them

Best SUV ever
By Best Ever

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This suv is the best SUV I have ever owned. I have driven a Chevy Suburban, Jeep Liberty and other sedans. Those were good, but this Durango has an extrememly smooth drive, powerful engine (without hemi), comfortable seats and good sound system. I love that the back doors open so wide which makes for easy storage and entrance. I have never had a single problem with this vehicle. A month after I bought the durango, my wife drove it and she bought one! Good to travel in and has great pick up. Also great in the Cleveland snow! Love it!

Wide openeing back doors, pick-up, quality and comfort. Also has easy folding seats for more storage

Fuel economy, which needs to improve over the whole big SUV market, foreign and domestic.

Should Consider another Manufacturer
By Never Again

2005 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle at the end of 2005 when they were running the model year clearance. I had some negitive equity from another vehicle so the $6000 in rebates was great, however the depreciation on this vehicle is horribly. It nearly halved in value is first year. I am now two years into a 3 year lease and i am being offered my lease payout as my trade in value. I also have about 33,000 miles on the vehicle and both fron seat base cowlings are cracked near seatbelt attachments, the vehicle has stalled several times for no reason, the motor has a clicking lifter, and my fuel mileage keeps getting worse. Beware of the oh so good looking deal. Think twice before you buy.

Nice ride, lots of room, great in the snow

Reliability, this vehicle was the #1 recalled vehicle in the country right along with the dodge ram at number 3. Get rid of the high incentives or lower the MSRP of the vehicle to save huge depreciation in first several years.

I love my Durango
By Adam

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love everything about it. Its milage I think is its only downfall which is really not that bad. I have the 4.7 v8 and that's enough power for me. I haven't had any problems out of it eithier

Engine, room, good air, great brakes

None

'05 Dingo
By Bdubb

2005 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned for nearly 2 years overall never any major problems. The closest thing to any problem was the CD- changer speed slowed down but has been repaired. Overall still impressed that the Hemi in city still averages 19.2 - 20.6 mpg with no mods going 35-45mph stop n' go. Seamlessly tows, smooth ride, nice acceleration a nice vehicle for family and people that like to tow their wheeled toys around.

Effortless towing, Hemi power, sunroof, infinity system, center storage console, headlamps are quite bright

Suede inserts, more chrome, more towing technologies, more variety of dash

• SUV