Used 2005 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Three Years of Good Performance
By AspenRobert

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I leased my Durango and turn it in next week and I know I'll miss it. The few minor mechanical problems were handled under warranty and the total driving experience was excellent. Of course, it's a full-sized SUV so you don't get Prius mileage. I averaged 16 mpg in town and 19.5 on the highway. What I'll probably miss most (other than the hauling capacity) will occur this winter in Colorado snows. This is a very stable, very "under control" vehicle in bad weather.

Favorite Features

Acceleration (I have the Hemi), handling, well designed interior and especially intuitive controls, stability in bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly noisy air conditioning/heating system.

Satisfied
By Dodger

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango for 18 months with no problems. I also own a grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 2006. Both are excellent vehicles but if you are going on a long trip the Durango is the way to travel. People always comment on the mileage but I have yet to see a vehicle with the toughness and comfort and good looks these have that get good mileage. If you want safety and Peace of mind in a vehicle I suggest an SUV. Try putting 5 people and their luggage in a econobox, and see how you feel after a day of driving.

Favorite Features

Security and storage room.Good looks and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Floor shifter.Electric opener for the rear hatch.

Not for a family with small children!
By Triplet Mama Plus 2

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Well first off the gas mileage is a joke, do not buy if you have any sort of commute to work or you'll be averaging $70 every 4 days on gas, crazy! Second, I have 5 kids (6, 2, and 18 month old triplets) and getting them in and out of this vehicle is awful, such a pain. I can't even go anywhere because no stroller but an umbrella stroller would fit. The interior is falling apart without even harsh use. All in all if we didn't have but a couple kids and worked 5 minutes away then it would be manageable but we are getting rid of this Durango ASAP!

Favorite Features

Tall ride, get up, and smooth steering. Pretty good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Everything else.

Nice Family car.
By Mike

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Engine and power train are excellent. 4.7 liter delivers good power. Average 16.5 MPG in mixed driving. Not great but delivers what is advertised. Overall ride is very good. Nice sturdy feel. Very smooth on flat roads very truck like on bumpy roads. Very nice family vehicle. Seats 7. Plenty of room for storage with 3rd row seats folded down. Overall this has been a great purchase.

Favorite Features

Steering easy and smooth, 6 CD changer very nice. Rear air and heat great for back seat passengers. Overall package. Well built,comfortable and nice handling. Sounds great when you get on the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage around 20 MPG. Slightly more room in back with 3rd row seats up.

Cracking
By Sameia

2005 Dodge Durango SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is nice but the seat interior is terrible it cracks all up around the seat and seat belt. The bumper seem to be loose and and if in an accident it seem like It'll crack right up!?! There needs to be a recall on the seats. I also have the ABS light on which has been explained to me as a recall?

Favorite Features

The space is pretty good I wish I had the 3rd row seat though.

Suggested Improvements

The seats and the bumper