2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
My 2005 Dodge Durango
By GP on 12/10/09 07:15 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got a great deal on this vehicle from the dealership. Within the first few months, I had to have the gas tank replaced. However, this was a recall item and the dealership was very helpful and courteous in getting it replaced. Other than that, it's been a joy to own. It rides just as good, if not better, than a Honda or Toyota. Fuel efficiency is decent in the city for a vehicle this size - about 17mpg city. On the highway, I know I'm getting at least 22 mpg which is very decent for a vehicle of this size. This is definitely the best vehicle I've ever owned!

Tons of Vehicle for the $$
By Doug on 11/23/09 07:41 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the Durango used nearly 3 yrs ago and initially had several minor issues with some trim pieces. However, mechanically it's been nearly perfect and very reliable. Great tow vehicle and good for family of 6. Not quite as large as Expedition or Tahoe but much less expensive, tows as much or more (I've got the HEMI) and drives much better - especially in the city. Mileage also hasn't been bad as expected. I consistently average 15.5 to 16.0 combined and easily achieve 20- 22 on the highway cruising 80. Not the prettiest vehicle out there but one to seriously consider if buying used. NEVER buy one of these big SUV's new - you'd be throwing $1000's out the window for no reason!

Please don't buy a durango.
By bkredr@comcast.net on 10/23/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango ST Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Its a 2005 with 55k miles on it and its going back to the dealership or the 11th time! Now I have collant in the oil so I'm sure its going to be a major deal. Its already had cooling problems, stearing problems, stalling issues, and on and on. There is a reason the trade in value is 8500 for a 4 year old car with 55K. Please go to the link below before you buy a dodge or jeep. I realy hate that this is what dodge and jeep have become, I was a die hard jeep guy for the last 20 years but not any more.

Lemon
By Jamie on 09/01/09 16:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Like I have read in other reviews, the issues with this vehicle are tremendous. The 5.7 litter Hemi has great acceleration and I have been very please with the gas mileage. Other than that, it has been nothing but a nightmare. It stalls when stopping all the time,the dealership has no idea what is wrong since their computer tells them nothing. The interior continues to fall apart daily. Not to mention the extreme loss in value in 1.5 years is huge! I look forward to trading it in as soon as I can afford to bail out!

Godzilla
By Gary on 08/26/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have toed the line on fuel economy, the ecology, and so forth. After a bout with cancer and three minor strokes I decided to once in my automotive life to live; so I bought Godzilla. I went from a 1995 Subaru Outback with a 2.2L H4 engine that got 30 miles to the gallon to Godzilla which averages half that in town and I have gotten 24.5 mpg on the highway; with the A/C on. Yes, it is a brute, it is not lady friendly, but it rides smooth, has pick up, a tight turning radius and goodies galore. I love this truck and...yes it has a HEMI!!!!

Great Tough Looking SUV but Pump Costly
By CTBoyd on 08/12/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this Durango last month with 34,850 miles and couldn't wait to drive it off the lot. The reviews are pretty much 'spot on' with regards to the driving comfort, exterior styling and poor interior materials. I haven't had any problems with the vehicle and driving this silver Durango Adventurer SLT made me feel like a million bucks. Unfortunately, I will be selling this vehicle in the next month or so because I don't have that million bucks to keep feeding it gas. You can actually watch the 27 gallon tank, gas gauge move while driving. I knew the gas mileage was bad when I bought it, but didn't expect it to be 11 to 12 mpgs. It will be sad to see it drive away when I sell it.

Poor choice of an SUV
By N Wilkey on 08/08/09 07:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this on a whim from a dealer that I had dealt with before. It was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I had a Kia before and would give anything to have it back. I can not trade because the value is so bad. The plastic on the seat belts keeps braking. You would think Dodge would give a box of the covers with each sale.

Good truck but cheap interior
By Heather Jane on 08/02/09 16:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My husband LOVES Durango's, this is our 2nd one. We have 2 kids so traveling is nice, especially the DVD system, heated seats, cd changer, etc. We use it to tow a trailer sometimes too. One thing that irritates me as well as other customers is the poor cheap plastic design in the front for the driver and passenger. My sides have cracked and even broke/holes.This should NOT be happening and I firmly believe if enough of us get together and complain, maybe they will fix it. It's a long shot but, a very high cost for an SUV if it's just going to crack.

Good; not great
By Dilin on 07/30/09 17:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We replaced our 1999 Dodge Caravan in 2005 for a brand new Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. Immediately, we began having problems with the passenger side airbag. It would always say that it was turned off, even if there wasn't a light load in the front seat. The 4.7L V8, with only 235 HP, is no match for this heavy, almost full-size SUV. Acceleration is strong off the line, but lacks mid-range and passing punch. The interior is made of cheap plastics, and the fit and finish is not very good at all. We averaged (we replaced it in 2008 for a Ford Taurus X) 15.3 MPG with it, and with only 235 HP, you would think it would have been better.

From Chevy to Dodge ... Yes it's a HEMI
By FG on 05/22/09 20:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

With the 5.7 HEMI you will have plenty of power.We get an average of 16-18 MPG city and 19-22mpg highway (cruising). This is one of the safest cars feeling cars I've driven in a long time.Still feel that this was a very smart purchase.