Used 2005 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Durango, gas hogger
By Sonia

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I think that the Durango is a real nice looking vehicle. The only thing that I don't like is the gas mileage. The tag on the vehicle said that I would get 19 in city and 24 on highway. They lied. I only get 15 in the city and about 14.5 on the highway. I made this purchase thinking that the gas mileage was not the greatest but it was ok. Now if I'd known that the gas mileage was 15 in city and 14.5 on highway, I would of looked for another vehicle. I'm not happy with the Durango.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the gas mileage

A Joy to Drive
By jambry3

2005 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

It's a joy to drive this SUV. I like the style and comfort plus the extra's like the rear DVD player which keeps my 9 yr old entertained on long trips.

Favorite Features

The whole interior is great and handling is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage needs to be improved greatly. I'm averaging about 14 mpg in city and haven't a real chance to get it out on the highway.

A great SUV
By B M

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have been driving the Durango for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. This replaced a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo. It is very comfortable to drive and though it is large, it does not feel massive to me. The hood is short making it easy to see whatís in front of you and good visibility makes is easy to park. The 4.7L V8 does what I expected with a 3 ton vehicle. It is not quick on the start, but does not feel like it is struggling. It has a great ride, handling, and turn radius for a truck. As for gas mileage, the overhead console says I average 15 on the street and 22 on the highway. I am use to driving SUVís and the Rodeo averaged 20mpg overall.

Favorite Features

Lots of cargo room (with the 3rd seat down) and taller than the older models which makes it easy to see whatís around you. Rear air conditioning control. Plush cloth interior that is a solid color. Not splashed taupe and teal. The third row seat is far easier to put down than the 2002 model.

Suggested Improvements

Larger glove box, more interior lighting, larger side mirrors, passenger seat on the SLT model should have power/ pouch on the back. Plastic chrome looking grill should be color keyed, or replaced with Ďrealí metal chrome. Rear glass should open. Not use Goodyear Wrangler tires.

My SUV
By renee

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle right after I had my second child because we needed more room and I always said I would never own a Durango but this has been the best vehicle I have ever purchased. Tons of room and a great ride

Awesome ride
By scote

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I leased an 05 Durango SLT and this vehicle surpassed all my expectations. I used to drive a 2000 Cherokee, so this was a big jump in size and payment, or so I thought. The ride is exceptionally smooth and does not handle as big as it looks. In fact, I think it's easier to maneuver than my Cherokee. Fuel economy isn't the best, but which SUV's is? And with employee pricing, Iím only paying $100 more a month with nothing out of my pocket. Definitely give it a look. Only dislikes are the 4.7 seems to take a while to get going, so I wish I got the Hemi. Other than that I think itís a great value. Was comparing it to a 4runner and I think it beats it hands down.

Favorite Features

Interior is awesome. Smooth ride. Lots of versatility and space. Great incentives this month with employee pricing.

Suggested Improvements

4.7 V8 a little sluggish. Rearview mirrors could be bigger. Fuel economy is less than expected.