Used 2005 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Best Full Size SUV Ever
By Durango

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Durango as a utility purchase. It has the best towing capacity of any full size SUV on the market. It pulls my boat wonderfully! After having it a short while I have fallen in love with it. It is the most comfortable and easy to drive vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned several. I love the deep throaty growl the Hemi lets out when she is opened up. It is not overbearing keep in mind. Just enough to let you know that I am a bad machine. The Durango is very easy to manuever and park in those tight places. If you are in the market for a full size SUV that can pull and that is comfortable this is the one for you.

Seats, motor, looks, room, ease of parking

None

Love this Beast
By Allen

2005 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the becoming the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have had a Jeep Grand, Liberty, BMW, etc. This is the most fun to drive!! Gas is gas, I actually average 17 mpg in town, based on not hot rodding. I get 20 mpg on the highway without the displacement.

The whole car is fantastic!

Need to work on the plastic and get the doors adjusted for noise right after buying.

Durango Does Not Disappoint!
By Al

2005 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Durango in 5/05 and have put over 20k miles on it thus far. I have never felt obligated to write a review on a vehicle before, but I am really impressed with this SUV. My previous two SUVs were a Bronco II and Ford Explorer. I was all set to buy another Ford Explorer when I decided to give the Durango a test drive. From the first moment I drove the Durango until the present day, I still find myself thinking what a nice truck. No comparison to the Fords, the Durango is another class. It is so solid, quiet, comfortable, commanding and the Hemi just plain hauls. Recently had to make a trip from NH to CT during a blizzard, the AWD/4WD/antilock brakes were amazing! Great SUV!

Commanding driver's view, smooth quiet solid ride, infinity stereo is amazing, navigation system, hemi power is awesome, heated seats, driver memory system (seats, mirrors, pedals, radio settings and climate), auto dim and defrosting mirrors, sun roof, its all good . . . get all the toys!

This is a big heavy SUV, not a sports car, it flys down the straights but you have to respect physics on the turns. Probably unrealistic, but it would be nice if the suspension could be refined to handle the turns a bit better. Adjustable leg room on second row seats would be great too.

Powerful
By steve sherwood

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Far and away the most powerful vehicle I've ever owned. Fantastic in snow. Only downside is the driver's seat, it needs to be softer. Other than that it's a great auto!

The engine. Going up hills in western PA. is no longer a problem

Something for children in the back would be a nice feature

What a Lemon
By Ian from Denver

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this 2005 Durango SLT w/ HEMI since Sept 2005. So far it has been a HUGE disappointment. Things that went wrong with it: 1) The CD player stopped ejecting CDs within the 1st month. 2) The front passanger door was bent and the dealership had to adjust it. 3) There is a constant air leak from all windows. At speeds of 60+ mph it gets rather noisy inside. 4) The overdrive off (or as they call it tow/haul)works whenever it wants to. 5) Going down steep hills in 2nd gear the vehicle keeps accelerating and slowing down on its own - can't keep a constant speed. 6) Even w/ the HEMI it is very sluggish and underpowered. No pickup at all - my LIBERTY accelerates better.

None so far! It turned out to be a lemon

I had big hopes for the much touted HEMI engine. What a huge disappointment! It doesn't perform to my expectation at all. Switching gears bewtween 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd is horrible - as if something is pulling the whole vehicle backwords and the engine is struggling to switch gears.