Used 2005 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Good Riddance Durango
By azjim

2005 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After a year and a half I have bid good bye to my '05 Durango Ltd. This vehicle had every option including Nav, DVD and chrome wheels. Had to take it back to the dealer 8x so they could finally fix an oil leak. 3x back to dealer to get the driver's seat repaired because it kept cracking near the power seat controls. One time they tried to glue a broken piece back on. The front bumper had to be reclipped because the some of the plastic clips were missing. Weather stripping had to be replaced numerous times due to falling off. All this and 12 mpg with a Hemi for a vehicle that stickered for $43K. Traded this hunk of junk in for a Honda Pilot and 24mpg.

One Year Review
By Debbie

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Coming up on a year with our Durango, this is a good time to share a few things. The brakes have an occassional squeal that we are told is normal. But the interior front seat design is very poorly done for anyone over 200 lbs. My husband is an ex-football guy and whew, his muscles and size just don't go with the seatbelt contraption that pops out at the bottom of the seat. It has broken twice now, with just normal wear and tear, and you can see we don't drive it much with low miles. But that is probably the only complaints we have thus far.

Favorite Features

We like the interior comfort regarding cup holders, coin slots, etc. Like the hauling room in back also. The tow/haul option is great as well. Love the 4-wheel drive/awd option. Had one time on ice and very hilly, that it did very well.

Suggested Improvements

Change the seatbelt/seat style to handle anyone's weight getting in and out of the vehicle. Add a hand grip to passenger side, to help with the extra height off the ground.

The Durango Expierence
By RETreeFrog769

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The driving is great it is comfortable, but the plastic parts inside are already breaking like around the outside of the drivers seat where the electric controls are for the seat! The plastic parts seem cheap!

Favorite Features

Love the stereo system. Love how high I sit in it, and the body is cool looking. I like how it has a lot of power!

Suggested Improvements

Could make the middle and back seats a little more comfortable, and the plastic inside a little more durable! Would be nice to put in the hidden storage like the mini vans have in the floor!

Smooth Riding, Good Looking
By Bennett

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I much prefer the newer lines of the Durango (late 2004/2005/2006 models). After the looks, the saleman sold it to me by simply telling me to put the power down. I bought the 4.7L V8 and it's great. The power in the mid-range is awesome (especially in tow/haul mode) but can be lazy to shift down at lower speeds. The ride is the smoothest I've known. It's a fantastic road trip car, with plenty of room and it cruises like it's on air. The large size isn't all that bad, as it manouvers reasonably well - and with over 100 cubic feet of luggage space it was invaluable for our recent house move! I highly recommend the towing package as it comes with larger wing mirrors.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, looks, seating for all the family.

Suggested Improvements

The hybrid engine ought to be exciting if it improves fuel economy. The front pillars can impede visibility and the rearview mirror could be larger.

The Durango with bad gas mileage
By What is it?

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Durango has a good interior. But there are some things that you think about changing. First you can't see the front if you are small. That could be a problem in driving the car. Second I didn't even get a hemi and it's a living gas pig. Third where is the side skirts?

Favorite Features

The car can accelerate faster than the older models so that's good. And the car is more roomier.

Suggested Improvements

Get better gas mileage and get improvments on the hood of the car.