Used 2005 Dodge Durango SLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

0 - 220,000 in 8 years
By supershel777

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! We have put 220,000 miles on this SUV and been back and forth across this country many times. It has performed flawlessly. We have done Nothing to the engine other than the exhaust manifold came loose from the engine. Great comfort and realiability! Lots of space for cargo. We are a traveling band and hauling sound equipment all over was hard on this truck but she just kept going and going and is still going!

Favorite Features

1. Reliability 2. Comfort in the front seat! 3. Styling! Most people seem to think it is several years newer than it is and that's allright with me! 4. Pulls double axle trailers just fine. we put over 100,000 miles on it pulling a trailer.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage is terrible!!! Gas pours out the spout as you fill it!

Poor choice of an SUV
By N Wilkey

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this on a whim from a dealer that I had dealt with before. It was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I had a Kia before and would give anything to have it back. I can not trade because the value is so bad. The plastic on the seat belts keeps braking. You would think Dodge would give a box of the covers with each sale.

Favorite Features

There are none that I have seen.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should come in with their own Cash for Clunkers and buy these things back for what is owed so we can buy something better

Satisfied
By Dodger

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango for 18 months with no problems. I also own a grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 2006. Both are excellent vehicles but if you are going on a long trip the Durango is the way to travel. People always comment on the mileage but I have yet to see a vehicle with the toughness and comfort and good looks these have that get good mileage. If you want safety and Peace of mind in a vehicle I suggest an SUV. Try putting 5 people and their luggage in a econobox, and see how you feel after a day of driving.

Favorite Features

Security and storage room.Good looks and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Floor shifter.Electric opener for the rear hatch.

Nice Family car.
By Mike

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Engine and power train are excellent. 4.7 liter delivers good power. Average 16.5 MPG in mixed driving. Not great but delivers what is advertised. Overall ride is very good. Nice sturdy feel. Very smooth on flat roads very truck like on bumpy roads. Very nice family vehicle. Seats 7. Plenty of room for storage with 3rd row seats folded down. Overall this has been a great purchase.

Favorite Features

Steering easy and smooth, 6 CD changer very nice. Rear air and heat great for back seat passengers. Overall package. Well built,comfortable and nice handling. Sounds great when you get on the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage around 20 MPG. Slightly more room in back with 3rd row seats up.

Bad Decision
By Steve in Omaha

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck because it was my best bang for the buck and it was safe for all the kids. It was and it is. The truck has really disappointed though. Cheaply built, I have rust already, chrome door handles are falling apart. Strange dash lights go and off. Cruise control works, then doesn't. And don't do like I did and get one without traction control. This thing fishtails in snow like a 68 Camaro (whether in AWD or 4WD). On top of all that, the resale value seems to be tied to some sort of very heavy financial based anchor. I like the Hemi and it always starts, so there's the positive. I should have spent 8k more and purchased a GM product.

Favorite Features

The Hemi motor.

Suggested Improvements

Send Durango owners an apology and some sort of trade in check so they can get out from under them