Used 2004 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Dependable SUV
By maeich1

2004 Dodge Durango ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my Durango for just about 4 years now and I am getting ready to trade it for a crossover. My Durango has been very dependable and gave us lots of room for the kids plus. My only complaint is the limited visability on the left side of the front windshield die to a bulky frame. As with all large SUV's, the Durango get terrible gas milage. I have always consistently averaged 13 mpg. But overall I have loved the truck. If you need the space of a large SUV it's a great choice.

3rd row seating. Large glovebox, 90 degree opening doors for 2nd row.

Improve visability from front windshield. As with all SUV's: a way to improve mpg.

Get extended warranty
By Heather

2004 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Hemi brand new. loved the drive, my son loved the DVD option, yet 500 miles after my warranty ran out major problems, all the dash lights, turn signals & gauges turn off when I turn blinkers on. Good thing its a lease & I will turn back over in few months because they say nothing is wrong with it!

The power of the Hemi, DVD player, gets around great in the snow.

Figure out the electrical problems, too many recalls, IE windshield wipers! Horrible on gas

Not Sure if I will buy a Dodge again
By My Red Durango

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had a 2000 Durango and I traded it in due to mechanical problems. I purchased my 2004 Durango. The check engine light has come on 3 times in the past two years and each time it comes on, it costs me more than $200 to fix it. I drove a Ford Expedition for 5 years and never had a single problem with it. I think I am switching back to Ford for reliability

I love the way it looks! Lots of cupholders!

Improve quality and reliability. I don't want to worry about my car breaking down!

It's been good to me so far
By Durango Driver

2004 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Though not perfect in any single category, this is a very good SUV. I have not had one single mechanical issue with this vehicle. I do all service work myself according to the book, which I am hoping will save money in the long haul. Performance with the 4.7L V8 is good, I occasionally tow a utility trailer with various loads and it still performs admirably. Long grades at 70 MPH fully loaded are no problem. Braking is excellent for a large SUV; both in feel and in braking distance. The bumpers fore and aft are thin plastic, not adequate. They are painted on the SLT and higher trim levels, which leads to very visible road rash from debris.

This is a well built vehicle. Look underneath the truck...this isn't a tinfoil unibody frame! Maintenance is very easy and straightforward. The 4.7L is actually rated for a 150k service life, which is high for a production gasoline V8.

HID headlamps. Chrome or steel bumpers

Great car except when refueling
By Shark

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My 3-year lease on my 2004 Durango SLT 4WD 4.7L will end in a couple of months. I am very happy I got this car because it is comfortable, performs good and is fun to drive. It was also very reliable - I only had one problem with a unit responsible for the reverse light which was replaced under warranty within an hour. The only problem this car has is that it is very thirsty, but I knew that when I bought it and it is quite expected from a V8 4.7 engine.

Power, looks. Sound system (6-disc in- dash changer with mp3)

Middle console could be better, MPG