2004 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
What a piece of garbage
By bhoffman on 12/11/05 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My only hope is to warn others to look closely at this vehicle before purchasing. Two weeks after I brought it home, the electrical system burned out. After that, it was recalled for a sticking throttle. Following that, it developed a water leak which eventually led to moldy carpet padding. It took my dealer nearly 6 months to track it down. The transmission has been in for repairs 7 times! It's still not right! Unfortunetly, I was unable to invoke the lemon law on this one becuase I waived my rights as I bought it as a true employee purchase (through my father).

Great Vehicle
By Carl Scott on 12/05/05 20:38 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had a dream that I was driving a silver Durango and that's what I purchased I have the 2005 SLT 2WD 5.7 liter HEMI engine. It has plenty of power but it gets thirsty for fuel but that was expected I wish I would have known Dodge was going to be offering 2years worth of free gas maybe I would have waited.I previously owned a 99 Durango slt 4x4 I traded it for the 05 because the transmission was starting to hesitate.

Weather king
By mmmggg on 12/01/05 17:03 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

There is almost nothing not to like about this vehicle-performance is outstanding with the 5.7 hemi. In bad weather, this car is a dream: heat is excellent, including the seats, handling is stable, snow drifts are no problem. The controls are simple, including the steering wheel radio buttons. Visibility is excellent. A month after purchase I had a head-on collision with a huge deer at seventy mph, the front end got crushed, but I simply braked and got out.

I love my Dango!!!!
By Mom's Dango on 11/24/05 19:49 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

First, let me tell you that I have test driven over 10 different vehicles within 2 yrs time and our Durango was hands down the best! When you have a family you need a vehicle that offers versatility- speed, comfort, handling and safety.That is what the Durango gives you, I have the Hemi(of course)and its the Ltd. We also own a 99 Mercedes CLK430, so we know plush and you can definitely see where Mercedes have their input on making a Dodge. There is plenty of leg room, we have the DVD system and my kids love that, all of the controls are easy to use. Let me put it this way-If you're lucky enough to own a Durango then you're lucky enough!! If you get one, you won't be dissapointed.

Horrific Brakes / Cheap Interior
By Steveman on 11/19/05 13:52 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The truck has been back to the dealer 5 times for the brakes. They have replaced the front rotors twice, but re-surfaced (worthless) them the other 3 times. Every time they treat me like I've been abusing the brakes, and they're doing me a favor by fixing them again. I've called DC's 800 number, and they're worthless, referring me back to the dealer. For the record, I've never even made a panic stop with the truck. I try to "baby" the brakes at all times. For the record, I'm a Kenworth owner/operator, pulling very heavy loads daily, and know more than the average driver about "saving brakes". I'll never own another Chrysler product. This is the 2nd time I've been burned by them.

Stay Away
By not happy on 11/13/05 00:09 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Don’t buy this truck. This is the worst SUV! I am a big Dodge nut but this is my last Dodge! I had a 2001 quad cab Dakota better then this thing and a 95 Dodge Avenger. All brand new. Very cheap interior and poor design. I had check engine light on and throttle light. Radio will not respond to from time to time. Rotors are warped! This truck is well maintained, better than new! Only have 15000 miles on it. If you want an SUV, look somewhere else.

Very pleased with 2004 Durango
By BH on 10/30/05 18:23 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Excellant choice in a family SUV if you need space, comfort, towing capacity, and a just plain fun to drive SUV for the price.

One Buff SUV
By Ken N. on 10/27/05 23:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this 2004 Dodge Durango SLT with the 4.7 and only 20000 miles on it. I wanted a nice SUV but didn't want to give one of my legs to get one. I looked at Dodge dealers for a newer Durango but the 2004 models were $22,000 and up?? I bought mine for a unreal price of $16,995. NO JOKE! Nothing wrong with it a one owner. It was at a Toyota dealer so I got it cheap. I love the BUFF style and the HUGE appearance. I was worried about the gas mileage but towing a car dolly and a 2004 Pontiac Vibe I got 16MPG. Impressed. I have owned 120 cars (seriously) in 32 years of my life and this is one of my favorites. A great deal and reliable enough to pass on to my 10 year old son.

We got a lemon!!
By ashlnsmom on 08/20/05 15:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We are VERY disappointed. Yes the HEMI is great & tows our boat effortlessly, but we have had SO many problems that we are in the process of a buy back with Chrysler. Immediately, we had the air conditioning compressor replaced hoping to correct the horribly rough idle(it still idles rough today)The spark plugs were corroded & incorrectly gapped The driver's seat mechanism was replaced, the tire rim replaced for air leakage,rear differential leak,the transmission is now leaking for the 5th time overqualifying us for the buy back, an undiagnosed check engine light,a bolt under the front bumper unscrewed itself thru the bumper TWICE,there's now a grinding noise in the rear.There's more but no room.

Best SUV
By Harlan on 07/11/05 13:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Quiet, with great handling. Powerful, with great sound Have only done routine maintenance in 28,000 miles and 9 months! 17 to 20 mpg with a Hemi.