Used 2004 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

The BEST SUV of all time!
By BEST SUV EVER!!!!!

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just broke the 100k mile mark on my truck and i can't say it enough, this has got to be the BEST SUV EVER! I have owned 2 Explorers, an Expedition, and even a 4runner(BIG mistake) Out of all of them the Durango is a far superior SUV. I have done everything with this truck over the years, from hauling the family around to towing other cars to using it as my daily commuter car. It has never, EVER let me down! That thing just won't give up! Over the past few years the only maintenance I've done was change the oil and change to a new set of tires, that's it in over 5 years that's all I have had to do. It still looks and runs like brand new! I will definitly recommend this truck!

Favorite Features

The best has got to be the HEMI!

Suggested Improvements

Get the rear window to open. Do it like the 4Runner the power down/open feature is the best thing about that rat trap!

Safe & Great Vehicle
By lin_johnny

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love this vehicle, but there are some minor issues I've experienced. My CD player quit working about 2 years ago. The manifold as a crack in it (so theres a ticking noise), there is a slow coolant leak but it doesn't overheat it I keep coolant in it, and when it rains my radio won't work for couple days, and this has happened twice while it rained the turn signals wouldn't work & all warnings light illuminated. This however is a safe vehicle. Last February during a bad snow storm I slid into a telephone pole & it crushed drivers door, windowdidnt shatter, but I wasn't hurt at all. Great winter/snow vehicle. I love this vehicle & happy I purchased it!

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable & easy to adjust; window defroster is great here in Northern Ohio, very safe vehicle (been in 2 minor accidents with minimal damage), great sound system (stock: Infinity), great for road trips, drives smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think how I'd improve this vehicle, I'm a huge Dodge fan and love everything about the 2004 Durango. The style, the feel of the drive is great, I love it.

Yeah, it's got a Hemi!
By Durango Girl

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just got my 2004 Durango Limited, but it was love at first sight. Just a great looking SUV with tons of extras. Not sure I'll be able to afford the gas for long, but until then, it's all GO!!

Favorite Features

I love the DVD for my 4 yr old and he loves it too, PLUS all the room.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like is the headlights on dash instead of on the steering column, I just can't get used to it!

5.7 Hemi is a lemon Crysler will not recall or rebate replacement
By mattalderson

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We have a 2004 durango slt 5.7L with a hole in the block. This car was extremly well maintained. The car eats roters, has had never ending electrical problems and spun a main bearing at 160000 mils. It has never missed an oil change, the oil comes out as clean as it was put in. Crysler will not recall this problem or rebait the replacement. After serching for a replacement I have found that this seems to be a very very common problem with the 5.7, 4.7, and the 6.0.. Do not Buy A Dodge Durango or any Mopar Hemi with out asking or resurching this motor. I have lost 8,000.00 dollers on this vehical. I will never buy a Mopar again!

Favorite Features

I do love the size and power of this car.

Suggested Improvements

Recal the 04-06 Hemi motors. rebait the replacement motor or pay to have them all Rebuilt! I will never buy a Mopar again!

Solid and dependable!
By DDavis

2004 Dodge Durango SUV ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my Jeep Wrangler for this Black beauty and was very happy I did! The Durango is solid, dependable, comfortable, and quiet. For such a spacious vehicle, everything is accessible and convenient. The ride is very smooth and the sound system is excellent making for an enjoyable experience.

Favorite Features

Impressive styling and solid construction. Shutting the doors produces the sound only a true car lover could enjoy

Suggested Improvements

More solid front and rear bumpers.