2004 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
All good
By tom on 02/25/07 09:22 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV has been a good ride thus far. We had owned three Jeep Grand Cherokees prior. The Durango is much more comfortable, and smoother. Gas mileage is not as good though. Only gripe is a plastic seat belt cover on driver's side. It has broken off three times. I also know it's still a problem on '05 and '06 models

Great Vehicle
By fastlane15 on 02/24/07 14:39 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Hemi tows 5000 lbs smoothly. She always starts, never gets stuck. love this car, even though I didn't expect to. On the highway, she gets 17 or 18. But around town she only gets 12 to 13. The dealer is still in the 50's. That's too bad, because the car has a lot going for it.

Best Value in large SUV
By Dan T on 02/18/07 10:44 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We test drove every vehicle in this size group and larger. We kept coming back to the Durango because we loved the feel of the ride, power of the Hemi, and comfort of the interior. In our opinion, this vehicle was far superior to Ford and Chevy. Affordability was not an issue, even though the pricing on the Durango was incredible! We now have 60,000 miles on the vehicle with virtually no problems other than "brake" issues. They have been replaced twice already.

Great truck with a lot of power
By NJNOMAD on 02/14/07 19:18 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Though we had a few issues with the drive train (Dodge covered everything) after about a year, overall we love it. It is large enough for the 5 of us and all of our camping gear. It has been fun to drive and very responsive for a large truck.

2004 Hemi Durango
By John Dillman on 02/02/07 21:44 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We have driven from Indiana to the Florida Keys 3 times and to Texas twice. The highway ride is smooth and comfortable. Gas mileage can be as expected, but the power on the highway is really nice! The only problem we ever had was an oxygen sensor, but that was replaced under warranty. We now have just over 53,000 miles on the Durango. Runs so quiet at idle I have to check rpm to know it is actually running. We change oil every 3000 miles and rotate tires every 6000 miles along with any other services shown in the service handbook.

Awesome SUV
By trcaldwell on 01/16/07 20:18 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

When my family bought the new Dodge Durango we knew we made the right choice. The Hemi engine and the aggressive styling are definite pluses. The only area of concern for our family in downsizing was the passenger room. In our Durango we have the two-seater third row and it is the most spacious and comfortable third row that we have seen in comparing vehicles, moreso even than that of the Ford Expedition (2004), Chevrolet Tahoe, Nissan Armada, Toyota Sequoya, or even the Chevrolet Suburban. The only drawback that we came across was that when we pile six of us into the car for a road trip there is no room for our bags. So on every long trip we had to put a cargo carrier on the top and back.

Horrible Blind Spots! Bad with Car Seats
By cwgrlup726 on 12/17/06 18:43 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The A-frame on the Durango is horribly placed. It causes a huge blind spot for the driver. They say it is for better stability during a rollover accident, which you will definitely need because you can't see where you're driving! It is also an extremely tight fit for carseats. If it will be placed behind either of the front seats, you will need to pull that seat very far forward to make it fit (which doesn't make for an easy ride up front.) Not a problem unless you have 2 kids in carseats! My Durango depriciated $25,000 in 2 years! Never again will I buy one of these and I am making sure everyone I know hears about it.

Would buy it again
By milos janovsky on 09/23/06 07:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Comfort and easy towing at an incredible price for its value. Highly undervalued by rating companies who are still confused by its previous model.

Disappointing
By Rick on 08/16/06 16:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

What sold me was the smooth luxury car like ride unlike many other SUVs. Lots of electrical problems with this one from the very begining. Latest episode left my wife stranded due to failure to start and had to hitch a ride to the airport. Had just gotten it out of the shop for other issues. It is back there again!Poor fuel economy.

'04 Durango Limited 4.7L
By Tony on 08/10/06 15:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love the Durango. The 4.7L engine has enough power to get the truck around w/o guzzling . I get about 18 to 19 MPG when I take it easy on the gas. I have had no mechanical issues with the car and would definitely buy another one.