2004 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Pleasantly Surprised
By Shawn on 04/10/08 21:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought The Durango With 19,000 Miles On It, Paid 17,500. We have taken it on a few long trips and have managed to get better than 25 mpg, which isn't that bad.Plenty of room for our family of 5, 3rd row seat is roomy and much easier to use than the ones on Expeditons or Tahoes. Love the interior, very quiet and the gauges are great. We were going to get a Tahoe, but drove this and felt we were getting better bang for our buck. If the price of gas is a worry, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you are looking for something w/ tons of room and a great 4 wheel drive system, I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

Overall, great Experience
By Matt B on 04/04/08 23:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was raised with practicality in mind when it comes to vehicles- ignore brand loyalty, just buy the best option available. The Dodge is very reasonably priced for the vehicle you get. Make sure your dealership has great customer service ratings though- our engine made a ticking noise before warming up after 2 years. Dealership told us 'all Durangos do that. It took us threatening to tell media of problem for them to agree to look into issue again. Exhaust manifold had warped because of impurities in metal. Fixed that problem- after another service, was making rattling noise- dealership hadn't completely tightened part. The vehicles has been perfect, it's the cust service w/ problem.

Great SUV
By durango girl on 03/15/08 14:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 2002 Durango and swore I'd never own one again, but after riding in the 2004 I changed my mind. There is plenty of room and it is a comfortable ride. I didn't get the hemi because I wanted better gas mileage. I haven't had any complaints about power and I've go 19 mpg on the highway. Mileage around town is usually 15 mpg.

I'll buy another one!
By flower on 03/08/08 23:52 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

When I'm ready for another vehicle this one will go to my daughter who at that time will be getting her license. Then I'll buy another newer Durango. I've loved it since we bought it!

King Of The Road
By RAYROC on 12/28/07 11:04 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Runs well, although engine isn't as solid as i'd like it to be and the driver compartment is very noisy at higher speeds.

Dependable SUV
By maeich1 on 12/20/07 12:37 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my Durango for just about 4 years now and I am getting ready to trade it for a crossover. My Durango has been very dependable and gave us lots of room for the kids plus. My only complaint is the limited visability on the left side of the front windshield die to a bulky frame. As with all large SUV's, the Durango get terrible gas milage. I have always consistently averaged 13 mpg. But overall I have loved the truck. If you need the space of a large SUV it's a great choice.

Get extended warranty
By Heather on 10/19/07 11:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Hemi brand new. loved the drive, my son loved the DVD option, yet 500 miles after my warranty ran out major problems, all the dash lights, turn signals & gauges turn off when I turn blinkers on. Good thing its a lease & I will turn back over in few months because they say nothing is wrong with it!

Not Sure if I will buy a Dodge again
By My Red Durango on 08/01/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had a 2000 Durango and I traded it in due to mechanical problems. I purchased my 2004 Durango. The check engine light has come on 3 times in the past two years and each time it comes on, it costs me more than $200 to fix it. I drove a Ford Expedition for 5 years and never had a single problem with it. I think I am switching back to Ford for reliability

It's been good to me so far
By Durango Driver on 05/29/07 15:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Though not perfect in any single category, this is a very good SUV. I have not had one single mechanical issue with this vehicle. I do all service work myself according to the book, which I am hoping will save money in the long haul. Performance with the 4.7L V8 is good, I occasionally tow a utility trailer with various loads and it still performs admirably. Long grades at 70 MPH fully loaded are no problem. Braking is excellent for a large SUV; both in feel and in braking distance. The bumpers fore and aft are thin plastic, not adequate. They are painted on the SLT and higher trim levels, which leads to very visible road rash from debris.

Great car except when refueling
By Shark on 04/06/07 19:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My 3-year lease on my 2004 Durango SLT 4WD 4.7L will end in a couple of months. I am very happy I got this car because it is comfortable, performs good and is fun to drive. It was also very reliable - I only had one problem with a unit responsible for the reverse light which was replaced under warranty within an hour. The only problem this car has is that it is very thirsty, but I knew that when I bought it and it is quite expected from a V8 4.7 engine.