2004 Dodge Durango ST SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2004 Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Sort Reviews by

6': watch your head/ needs 3rd seat del.
By Spike13

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Finally! A truck with left/right (especially right!) room for my big feet! Great front seats, great seating/steering wheel/peddal relationship, better than average console.

Favorite Features

seating, handling, different styling.

Suggested Improvements

The 3rd seat should be an option in SLT and Limited, especially since it doesn't fold flat. (Or offer more options for ST like power seat and alum wheels.) Can't get in without hitting my head (I'm 6'0") because trim is much lower than door opening. (Why?)

Larry Smith
By Larry/Charlene Smith

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased the "Hemi" with all the features except the "navigator" system installed. And, so far, have not been able to purchase. That is really our only complaint; and we were told by the dealer it would be several more months before it would be available, and since our reason for the purchase was for travel, we would like to hear when it is available.

Favorite Features

The safety feature of air bags, first of all. And the DVD for our grandsons a close second! And it just pure fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Only problem we are having is entering correct "codes" for our garage openers, etc. Instructions could be more "user friendly"

Beast
By clossc

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Getting over 16 ave. gpm in mixed driving over first 1000 mi. I have the 5.7 Hemi which just wants to GO. It just plain takes off when you mash the gas, but kind of feels like it is in idle driving around town. The engine runs best up in the 65-75 range. Third row seat is spacious, but second row could be a bit roomier. Love the new look and the power. Make no mistake, this vehicle is still long on utility and a bit short on comfort items unless you put up the bucks for the Limited version.

Favorite Features

Favorites are the Hemi, the new look (and size), the Infinity stereo system (6 pack mp3 player is nice), nice leg room on driver side (I am over 6' tall), and spacious third row seating.

Suggested Improvements

Auto on/off headlights. Steering wheel audio controls. Auto dimming rear-view mirror. More knee-room in the second row.

Best truck i ever had
By BADLEG75

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had a 1998 Dodge Durango and it was the best truck I ever had. It was a very tough reliable truck that took the worst of abuse and recently due to inclimate weather I ended up sliding off the road into a drainage ditch.It was a very shocking depressing day. As for your new 2004 Durango I think that Dodge should be ashamed to call this vehicle a Durango. You went and changed the body style completly which you now have a so called Durango that looks just like a Caravan. I am very upset to see my best friend twisted like that.

Favorite Features

Hemi is probably the only good feature that your new year has going for it.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the old body style

Best design & performance
By ersanti

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very smooth driving and the interior & exterior are perfectly designed.

Sheer Power On Tap
By Philster

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great SUV. Very happy with the re- design and new look. Have the HEMI motor and couldn't be happier with the power it provides. Gas mileage is dismal but I knew that going into it. I probably avg. around 12mpg city. But I wouldn't even consider the other v-8 or the V-6. HEMI or nothing. I also got the 3.93 axle ratio over the 3.53 Probably doesn't make a huge difference but I know the 3.93 is alittle quicker off the line. Great torque. Nice creature comforts inside. Leather, CD Changer, Heated seats, traction control, sunroof, 380 watt stereo.

Favorite Features

HEMI motor, Re-designed style, better ride, powerful stereo

Suggested Improvements

third row power seats, traction control and stability control should be standard. Traction control is extra and it doesn't offer stability control.

Only one in the hood
By casa

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We where looking for something a little diferent that no one else had and yet my wife wanted to get out of the Mini Van era. We where after a vihicle that had some style room and drove like a car and not a truck. The power handling and performance of the vehicle was evident after the first test drive. We love the interior design as it is not cluttered and offer somewhat of a European look that is clean and egornomic.

Favorite Features

Looks and power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Seems to collect a lot of road dust on rear bumper. WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BIT MORE ROOM IN THE BACK FOR STORAGE.

Great SUV
By wcadj

2004 Dodge Durango SUV ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Durango. It is a 1999, and I am debating whether or not to trade it in. It has 103,000, and all I have put into it was a new radiator. This is a GREAT SUV

Favorite Features

Rear Air, 3rd row seating, that may be lowered for additional cargo space. Second row can also be lowered. This SUV just has so much to offer. Leather interior,

Suggested Improvements

Come up with a new seat belt system.Make both front seats electric, as far as raising, lowering, forward,backwards, etc.

Phenominal
By Grizzly Grey

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The ride and handling is suburb for such a large vehicle. It truly handles like a much smaller SUV. I rated the 4.7 but actually the Hemi is truly a great engine and well worth not getting the best gas mileage. Comfort is unparalled.

Favorite Features

The comfort, ride, and handling have no equal in all of the oyher SUV's that I have had or read about.

Suggested Improvements

Sculpturing the sides like the original would make this the vehicle to die for!

Wow....
By New Durango Owner

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just got my '04 Durango 4WD Limited that was ordered in December. I am WAY impressed. It is fast, comfortable, well built, quite, and much better than the '02 Durango I had. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Features, layout, conveniences, speed, Sirius

Suggested Improvements

Rear air should be digital and automatic.