Used 2004 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Totally Awesome!
By chicagomark

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Durango…after 80K in a ‘99 SLT Plus (5.9L) and 30K in a ‘03 R/T (5.9L). After one month, I have 2K in this HEMI Limited. Adding 20-inch chrome rims (after market) makes a big difference in style. I am still amazed at the rapid acceleration coming off a ramp to enter the expressway or passing traffic. Can effortlessly cruise 75+ mph with good control, low noise, and still comfortable ride. I was surprised to see almost an extra 2 mpg with the 5.7L HEMI (avg 14 mpg) over my previous ’03 R/T 5.9L (avg 12.5 mpg). Gas tank is bigger, so I can go almost an extra 30 or 40 miles before refill. New Durango = best choice for performance and looks.

- HEMI, HEMI, HEMI !!! - 20-inch chrome rims (after market, a must!) - sunroof (my first Durango sunroof!) - Infiniti sound system with subwoofer (kicking bass!) - translucent dial gauges (cool at night!)

- bigger glove compartment - move the door locks from top of doors to inside of doors (ouch, my elbow!) - add seatback pocket behind passenger seat, and make both pockets larger - upholster back of front row seats (more comfort for second row occupants) - more leg room for second row

Astounding Value
By sailor22

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Lots of utility and comfort for low price, $9,000 LESS THAN my 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, and I received "friends and family" pricing on both. How does DCX do it? HEMI gas mileage on freeway was 19+ mpg @ 75 mph, after break in. Unique styling doesn't do much for us, but more people ask about liking the Durango than they ever did about the Expedition. Ride quality is much more compliant and smoother than old Durango, very "German" in character. I've owned the BMW X5 4.4 sport and a Mercedes ML320 and find the Durango Limited to be up to par with these vehicles; the Durango cost $24,000 less than my 2000 X5. Not as roomy as the Expedition.

Acceleration of HEMI is as entertaining as a 2000 BMW X5 4.4 sport, my former SUV. A lot sportier feeling than my 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, although Expedition's ride quality is smoother on rough pavement. Better build quality than early Mercedes ML320. Great seats, headlights

Make these standard - rear backup sensor, running boards, DSP, traction control. Larger console storage box,no room for a laptop PC(check out the Expedition console, HUGE). Cruise control is overly complex, dual thermostat A/C suggested, better carpet grade and finished edges.

My Durango compared to older model
By Frank Mize

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The 2004 model year is much larger than the older models and rides much smoother. The older model would get a little squirly on dirt roads. The large V-8 Hemi has loads of power, and can tow most anything the average pereson would wish to tow.

I will have to admit, my grandchildren love the DVD player. I like the 6-CD changer and the smooth ride.

Even though this model year is larger, there is less leg room for the middle seats. Additionally, the back seat does not fold down flat.

Tried and True
By TRowe

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

If like me, you own/owned the well- known Durango body style,the new ones take some getting used to. Once you get over the new body style, you'll be happy with the modifications...notwithstanding the MPG. I found the new model is better overall: good interior design, easy handling, great ride (you float) and fantastic sound system! I'm only 5'3" and love being able to look down at people on the road! Like the longer wheel-base. Watch your speed, if it feels like 40, you're probably doing 60. Although I was initially reluctant, I'm happy I stayed with the Durango. Thanks Anthony Ester at Covington Pike Dodge, you're an asset! Before you rule the Durango out, take the test drive

It looks more polished and I love way it handles. It's like driving a luxury car, it's so SMOOTH. While the horsepower seems a little weaker going uphill, this Durango can handle sharp turns, my 2002 couldn't. The stereo system is fantastic! I got the basic SLT (no HEMI) and am really happy with it.

My greatest disappointment was that Chrysler stripped down to 2004 SXT model to bare bones. I HAD to get the SLT just keep the amenities I was used to. Jeep Liberty rear lights no good for Durangos, should've used Pacifica lights. Hate the long mini-van like dashboard! Give SLT no 3rd row option.

so far so good.
By newamericanmade

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is our first american made car, it took us a lot of couurage to make this decision, it came down to the price, and we could not get anything that size for the price.

Tow