Used 2004 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

so far so good
By richard snively

2004 Dodge Durango SUV ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

first new Mopar ever,ride ,handling and price were best in class.Gas mileage is as expected 10-12 city 18 highway,best was coming back from Florida @ 20.3

Favorite Features

Styling & handling

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs refined

Best Large SUV on the market today
By bluespruce

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After thorough research, I ended up purchasing a fully loaded Durango 4X4 Limited listing at over $41,000 and paying under $32,400 excluding taxes. The vehicle looks great, rides better than my Lexus car, accelerates well and the 335 hp Hemi engine cannot be beat. Interior styling and ride are better than any GM vehicle today including the Tahoe and Surburban. The Ford Expedition is dated and too big. GMC's Denali interior is cheap looking and the Toyota 4Runner was an additional $5,000 for only a 5 passenger vehicle. Mercedes Benz has done wonders to the ride comfort and quality of the Dodge line of trucks. My hat is off to them, a former Ford man from Dallas.....

Favorite Features

Great looks and styling, excellent ride, great price and yes, this Durango has a Hemi inside....

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar back support needs to be lower in the seat

Totally Awesome!
By chicagomark

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Durango…after 80K in a ‘99 SLT Plus (5.9L) and 30K in a ‘03 R/T (5.9L). After one month, I have 2K in this HEMI Limited. Adding 20-inch chrome rims (after market) makes a big difference in style. I am still amazed at the rapid acceleration coming off a ramp to enter the expressway or passing traffic. Can effortlessly cruise 75+ mph with good control, low noise, and still comfortable ride. I was surprised to see almost an extra 2 mpg with the 5.7L HEMI (avg 14 mpg) over my previous ’03 R/T 5.9L (avg 12.5 mpg). Gas tank is bigger, so I can go almost an extra 30 or 40 miles before refill. New Durango = best choice for performance and looks.

Favorite Features

- HEMI, HEMI, HEMI !!! - 20-inch chrome rims (after market, a must!) - sunroof (my first Durango sunroof!) - Infiniti sound system with subwoofer (kicking bass!) - translucent dial gauges (cool at night!)

Suggested Improvements

- bigger glove compartment - move the door locks from top of doors to inside of doors (ouch, my elbow!) - add seatback pocket behind passenger seat, and make both pockets larger - upholster back of front row seats (more comfort for second row occupants) - more leg room for second row

Astounding Value
By sailor22

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Lots of utility and comfort for low price, $9,000 LESS THAN my 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, and I received "friends and family" pricing on both. How does DCX do it? HEMI gas mileage on freeway was 19+ mpg @ 75 mph, after break in. Unique styling doesn't do much for us, but more people ask about liking the Durango than they ever did about the Expedition. Ride quality is much more compliant and smoother than old Durango, very "German" in character. I've owned the BMW X5 4.4 sport and a Mercedes ML320 and find the Durango Limited to be up to par with these vehicles; the Durango cost $24,000 less than my 2000 X5. Not as roomy as the Expedition.

Favorite Features

Acceleration of HEMI is as entertaining as a 2000 BMW X5 4.4 sport, my former SUV. A lot sportier feeling than my 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, although Expedition's ride quality is smoother on rough pavement. Better build quality than early Mercedes ML320. Great seats, headlights

Suggested Improvements

Make these standard - rear backup sensor, running boards, DSP, traction control. Larger console storage box,no room for a laptop PC(check out the Expedition console, HUGE). Cruise control is overly complex, dual thermostat A/C suggested, better carpet grade and finished edges.

My Durango compared to older model
By Frank Mize

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The 2004 model year is much larger than the older models and rides much smoother. The older model would get a little squirly on dirt roads. The large V-8 Hemi has loads of power, and can tow most anything the average pereson would wish to tow.

Favorite Features

I will have to admit, my grandchildren love the DVD player. I like the 6-CD changer and the smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Even though this model year is larger, there is less leg room for the middle seats. Additionally, the back seat does not fold down flat.