2004 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Owner of a 2004 Dodge Durango SLT 5.7 Hemi
By durango_owner on 08/10/14 06:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am a former Marine that purchased my durango brand new on September 1st 2004, with only 18 miles. It has been a truly excellent ride for nearly 10 years. I have put over 227800 miles on this truck, the only thing The first major repair is when I replaced the EGR valve which was three years ago. Didn't do schedule maintenance on time, may have went an additional 2000 miles before changing the oil, transmission fluid. etc. Now after 10 years I was told that my transmission needed to be replaced, I have read all the complaints others have experienced But I only will purchase American cars except Fords. I won't be buying a Dodge Durango SUV do to the change in body style it's too femin

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By echolynfan on 06/18/14 16:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased mine brand new in 2004 and currently has 128,000 miles. This has been the most reliable and best vehicle I've ever owned - did the regular maintenance...new tires...brakes, battery etc. but that's IT.

5.7 Hemi is a lemon Crysler will not recall or rebate replacement
By mattalderson on 06/12/13 08:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We have a 2004 durango slt 5.7L with a hole in the block. This car was extremly well maintained. The car eats roters, has had never ending electrical problems and spun a main bearing at 160000 mils. It has never missed an oil change, the oil comes out as clean as it was put in. Crysler will not recall this problem or rebait the replacement. After serching for a replacement I have found that this seems to be a very very common problem with the 5.7, 4.7, and the 6.0.. Do not Buy A Dodge Durango or any Mopar Hemi with out asking or resurching this motor. I have lost 8,000.00 dollers on this vehical. I will never buy a Mopar again!

THROWN ROD!
By inhawaii on 05/25/13 20:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7 Hemi with under 80,000 miles. I am the original owner. Car has been well maintained. Oil changes every 3000 miles. Never had any overheating problems. This vehicle has served me well for the past 9 years until about a month ago. Without warning, while going down the freeway, it made a terrible noise. I knew it was something major. The oil light came on. There was a bunch of smoke. I shut the engine off and pulled off the freeway. I could see oil dripping from the engine. After having to towed, i learned there was a hole in the engine block from a thrown rod. After doing some research on the web, i found 100s if not 1000s of cases just like mine.

One great car :-)
By scooi29 on 04/13/13 12:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I owned my 2004 dodge durango SLT 5.7 Hemi for almost 9 years. I've owned over ten cars in my life and never had a better car than my durango. Only had to replace the battery, and the brakes but that's it. I just hit 100 thousand today and still drives like when I bought it with 8 miles. This car could go for another 100 thousand without a problem!! My sister just got a 2009 ford explorer and that has had more problems than my Durango.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By cglietz on 03/04/13 11:53 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I own an SLT 5.7L HEMI V8 4X4. Absolutely LOVE IT!! I bought mine in 2008 with 76,000 miles on it. It looked and ran like brand new. In my 5 years of ownership all I've had to replace is routine stuff. Battery, tires, brakes, serpentine belt, trans pan gasket at 110,000 due to small leak ($75). I have 151,000 miles on it and it runs the same as the day I purchased it. Only complaints: CD player stopped working and rust on rear tailgate by handle. I pull a large boat every summer with it also. I had a severe 50mph accident couple years ago in snow which smashed the entire passenger side. Not a scratch on me and drove the vehicle to repair shop. Extremely safe and reliable vehicle!!!

Safe & Great Vehicle
By lin_johnny on 12/07/12 06:59 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love this vehicle, but there are some minor issues I've experienced. My CD player quit working about 2 years ago. The manifold as a crack in it (so theres a ticking noise), there is a slow coolant leak but it doesn't overheat it I keep coolant in it, and when it rains my radio won't work for couple days, and this has happened twice while it rained the turn signals wouldn't work & all warnings light illuminated. This however is a safe vehicle. Last February during a bad snow storm I slid into a telephone pole & it crushed drivers door, windowdidnt shatter, but I wasn't hurt at all. Great winter/snow vehicle. I love this vehicle & happy I purchased it!

Ticking Time Bomb
By danfrommass on 12/02/12 18:40 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Stay away crom this vehicle. After 70,000 miles, engines will throw a rod and destroy the engine block. The Hemi 5.7 are notorious for this. You have been warned!!!! Google "hemi engine failure". A new engine + installation will run over $7,000.

DO NOT BUY!!!!!
By connielou on 04/26/12 12:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2004 Durango used in 2006 with less than 20000 miles on it and regret it. It has been a complete piece of junk! Overheats constantly even after replacing thermostat & cooling fan, differentials went out after a couple of years, CD player doesn't work, 3rd row seat literally came detached from the floor, cheap plastic interior has multiple cracks. Only gets 12 miles per gallon. Very dangerous blind spot in front. When I turn on the front window defroster, the power steering belt slips and makes a loud squeal and I lose power steering. This thing is only 8 years old! I have read multiple reviews with these exact same issues. Do not buy this vehicle!!!

Awesome!! just bought it recently looked like a 2010
By godisgood7 on 02/11/12 22:43 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We honestly saw this beauty on the lot and I swore they were lying to me. The way it smelled, drove looked I thought it was a 2010 model. Unbelievable. Drives so smooth and love that HEMI!!! We have 3 kids and this is perfect for them and all the things we do. We are getting ready to go to the snow next month and look to have a blast!!! We test drove, the BMW X5, Grand Cherokee, Toyota Rav, Ford Explorer, Ford Escape, Ford Taurus Suv, Hyundai Santa Fe,Nissan Xterra, Dodge by far was the most impressive and funnest to drive and enjoy. Just exceeded expectations. I am trading in my eclipse for a dodge car next so we have 2 Dodge's. Grab life by the horns!! Go Dodge!!