Good car
By cincykayaker on
2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)
I got screwed by the dealership... The sold me a demo saying they were going to discount it $2k and then they secretly added it back in and smooth-talked me into believing they were honest until I went home and double checked the math. But this car has been reliable as hell even though it has been a gas hog. I blame the dealership and Dodge Headquarters for not responding to my complaint... but the vehicle itself is not to blame.
Favorite Features
Reliability, This car had the AC blower motor go out... I swapped the tires and the battery... in EIGHT YEARS. Seriously that is it. Real Off-Road Worthy vehicle... I went off-road... and I don't mean "across a farm field" but through creeks and up steep inclines etc... and this thing kept up and didn't lose it's grip... I was actually surprised at some points at how well it handled it compared to the land rover etc I was following that had been jacked up a little and had special tires on it.
Suggested Improvements
The back seat doesn't fold flat... it folds semi-flat... more ramp like. It should fold flat and take up less space when folded. I also think the luggage rack should have been name brand or at least fit name-brand accessories... like Yakima or Thule... cross cars should have been straighter rather than arched. Gas mileage is abysmal. 13 City and 17 highway WHEN NEW... without kayaks on the roof. This is seriously the ONLY reason I look for new cars. besides that I am completely happy... if someone said "I can drop you 50 horsepower but get you 5 MPG" I would probably keep it. Better AC unit... but it improved dramatically over stock with the replacement blower... illogical but true.