Used 2003 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Extreme fun
By 03sxtowner

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought my '03 SXT 2wd. I love it. It handles like a sports car. I own a '02 Intrepid and I have never had a problem with it as well. There are so many possibilities with this truck. I can't wait. I am a forever Dodge owner from now on. I have 4 kids and they love the comfort of the seats and the drive.

Favorite Features

The power of the motor

Suggested Improvements

A sun roof and better instrument cluster

Nice Ride for a Permit Driver
By SDC

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Weve had our Durango for 4 yrs. Its great, though the water pump was damaged by a rock causeing the engine to overheat way too much and blow. Other than that this is one damn fine truck.

Favorite Features

The V8 the tranny and the comfort

Good, but not great
By Derden

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

If I had to buy a vehicle over again, this would not be the one, even if gas prices were not so high. It was a good vehicle, but only for the first couple of weeks I had it. I spend an averge of $600 dollars a month on a vehicle that I don't care about.

Favorite Features

It is wide. 3rd row seating and how it folds down to give me more room.

Suggested Improvements

Air condition routing. Better gas mileage. More leg room for the driver.

Good truck for me
By Joe

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV and I am very pleased with the performance, handling, and looks of the vehicle. Although I am skeptical from reading other reviews, I have had no problems with the vehicle. I purchased a 24 foot enclosed race car trailer (with stabalizing bars and sway bar control) and have had no problem with towing power, weight of 7300lbs. My only complaint is the narrowness of the vehicle. Even with adding extended mirrors it is difficult to see around the trailer. Due other reviews in Edmunds, I opted to buy the full extended service warranty. Looked at an '05 Expedition and my Durango had more interior cargo length (not width) and was easier to load.

Favorite Features

Interior, heated seats, Infinity sound system, third row seating, suede/leather seats. Power. Quick off the line.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should do a better job backing their vehicles and service warranty

Been in the shop a few times...
By Warren

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my SLT 4WD in Nov 03. I hated the way the 04's looked + got a steal on the 03 anyway. At about 5000 miles, all the AC leaked out. Took 2 trips in, and they ended up ripping out the entire dash to replace the leaking parts. They did provide me a free loaner car on trip #2. At about 7000 miles, the driver seat had a pin fall out and the back of the driver seat jammed reclined. Now at almost 12000 miles, recalls for wiper motor, and now the ball joint failure. Plus the heater motor has gone out (died in ice storm last week). Also, gas mileage sucks! EPA rating is bull. I average 12.5MPG with 80% of it highway. I doubt I would buy another one, especially the ugly new models.

Favorite Features

Space. 3 row seating is great, and easy to use. I also really think that they had a great visual design, until the 04's came out.

Suggested Improvements

Make a more efficient engine. I need to have a tanker follow me around town. Also, 4 month wait for them to "get me in" for the ball joint recall is a bit too long.