Used 2003 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Worst car I have even owned!
By Jennifer

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the worst vechile I have ever owned. I bought it brand new and have had to bring it to the dealer 10 times to fix non-routine maintence items. Brakes went out, check engine light is on all the time and the dealership can't fix it (brought in 5 times), AC broke twice, wind shield wiper motors broke. Only 40K miles! I wouldn't wish this SUV on my worst enemy.

Never Again
By George

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Owned R/T for several months now and regret trading in my Infiniti for it. Had 32K when purchased and had tie rod problems from the day I drove off lot. Wife broke down 3 days after purchase. Went back to have driver side window switch replaced due to failure, Window came off track At 44k transmission started slipping on highway at 65mph. Took to dealer and whole transmission needed to be replaced over $2k. Lucky I bought extended warranty but still cost me $425 out of pocket. Still doesn't feel right. Slips now when rear end hits any bump on highway. I am going with my wife this week to get rid of it and buy a foreign car. American cars are just not up to the quality level.

Favorite Features

Lots of pwer. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Transmission failure at 44k is unacceptable, Amrest storage button always failing. Broken window switch and now off track. Buy extended warranty if you get any Durango. Gas milege is worse you think it will be.

Love my Durango
By hart

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I enjoy my Dodge Durango 4.7 auto 4x4 air and all the xtras! I have figured out how to get over 20 plus on fuel mileage. This has me sold on further Dodge investments

Favorite Features

Versatile. Fun to drive. Can travel both on and off road with the family

Suggested Improvements

More options for the 4.7. I made most all my parts to get better fuel mileage out of it

Nice Ride
By NICE RIDE

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car about a year and a half ago. it barely had 14000 miles on it and was in perfect condition. I paid $15.5k for it and got it for a steal. I had heard a lot of bad things about the Durangos but for the price, I could not pass it up. I have driven this car across the country twice and have not had ANY problems with it.

Favorite Features

The v8 engine definitely has power. This car rides so smooth that you honestly can not tell the difference between 10mph and 100mph.

Suggested Improvements

The only inprovement i would suggest is to make the back seats just a little bit bigger.

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4x4 4.7L
By wizz

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a SXT model with the small 4.7 v8 and was getting around 18-19mpg hwy, till I installed a magnaflow powerpack muffler and a cold air intake. Now I'm getting around 380-400 miles to a tank full of 24 gals. That's strictly highway though. But when you kick down into passing gear you can feel a huge difference in power and almost watch the fuel needle go down. 0-60/6.1sec--1/4mile/15.42. 3.55axle 265/70x16 tires. Can't wait to see what happens when I put headers on and tune it. Love that 4.7!

Favorite Features

Suspension, engine performance, seating, and appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny shifting is to slow, oil filter location, ignition system design wierd.