Used 2003 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Tested and Proven
By Alex

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Durango new and have owned it for over 6 years now. I had to do nothing more than routine maintenance since ownership. This vehicle is very sound and dependable. I have over 69,000 miles on it and just replaced the tires for the first time and only because a road hazzard trashed one of my tires beyond repair. I had enough tread left for at least another 10,000 miles. I wish I got better than the 15 mpg but it is a heavy suv. The interior has held up well along with the exterior paint. I plan to keep it for another 5 years and hope it takes as good care of me as it already has.

Favorite Features

The style, durability, comfort, towing capability and all around soundness are best features.

Suggested Improvements

If gas mileage was at least 20 mpg this would be an ausome suv.

True Love from Day 1
By rwood541

2003 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Durango new as the 1st replacement for our minivan era as our oldest began high school. It has faithfully, stylishly, comfortably moved 2 kids across country to college and I don't want another car. I wish it would last forever. I love it! Solid, dependable, built to keep a family safe and on the move! And nothing more than normal maintanance...and one water pump! 152,411 miles and still runs like day one! And I swear the mileage is improving...it would have to!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, it's perfect!

Good car
By cincykayaker

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got screwed by the dealership... The sold me a demo saying they were going to discount it $2k and then they secretly added it back in and smooth-talked me into believing they were honest until I went home and double checked the math. But this car has been reliable as hell even though it has been a gas hog. I blame the dealership and Dodge Headquarters for not responding to my complaint... but the vehicle itself is not to blame.

Favorite Features

Reliability, This car had the AC blower motor go out... I swapped the tires and the battery... in EIGHT YEARS. Seriously that is it. Real Off-Road Worthy vehicle... I went off-road... and I don't mean "across a farm field" but through creeks and up steep inclines etc... and this thing kept up and didn't lose it's grip... I was actually surprised at some points at how well it handled it compared to the land rover etc I was following that had been jacked up a little and had special tires on it.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat doesn't fold flat... it folds semi-flat... more ramp like. It should fold flat and take up less space when folded. I also think the luggage rack should have been name brand or at least fit name-brand accessories... like Yakima or Thule... cross cars should have been straighter rather than arched. Gas mileage is abysmal. 13 City and 17 highway WHEN NEW... without kayaks on the roof. This is seriously the ONLY reason I look for new cars. besides that I am completely happy... if someone said "I can drop you 50 horsepower but get you 5 MPG" I would probably keep it. Better AC unit... but it improved dramatically over stock with the replacement blower... illogical but true.

Awsome
By roger

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my Durango in March 07. It only had 49000 miles, it now has 64000 miles. good power and reliability, i drove from MD to PA on several occasions the ride was very comfortable. drove cross country from MD to KS towing a nissan PU and the towing and power were excellent. the best SUV i have driven. better then the ford and chevy lines. the MPG is something to be disered about 12.5 to 13 miles to gallon, but i knew this when i bought it. the body still is tough looking but also classy. best SUV out there.

Favorite Features

body still, interior styling, ride and comfort

Suggested Improvements

better MPG, sunroof, opening back glass without opening entire hatch and more preformance options for the 4.7.

upsides and downsides
By jvote

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

upsides are comfort,speed, power, as well as control based on wheel base you can park it in the tightest area you ever imagined. handles like a mid range car, with the horsepower of a sportscar and i have driven a 911 turbo. it doe'snt have the acceleration tho. of a 911 turbo. but it has alot of power and go. i am 3rd owner with 129k when bought. and was pleasantly suprised at the handling, with p265/75 tires 16" it drives better than most of the cars i have owned. small to large. and handles better than all of them. downside is the thunk of the trany, thats covered in a service bulliten with the ab code. not a problem. easy fix. a absolute pleasure to drive. would like to buy another one.

Favorite Features

mine is a slt leather interior, all electric. alot of creature features, and the best part is it is customizable. intake and exhaust, speed chips and reprogram the ecm. as well as dress up chrome you name it. interior dvd all around. a vehicle you can have the whole family happy with. and it's versatile, fold down the seats and you go to the hardware store. love it! wish the other companies could make a competitive product like this. with the horsepower, and the comfort. dodge is on the right tract.

Suggested Improvements

well, thats a hard one. a key code transmitter for the keyless entry? e.g. 10 digit touchpad, with a panic that sends cops? a one button push that diables the vehicle? until the correct code enables it? unbreakable windows? plexiglass or lexan? or a lam that would prevent breakage. or bullets. a disabled vehicle can't be used for a further crime. too bad bad guys. get a job.