2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Peppy
By billy on 06/22/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Makes getting on a crowded highway feel safe. Great acceleration, but as you might expect, you can watch the fuel gage go down. Also, as a city resident, this mid size, narrow SUV is great for squeezing down narrow streets and parking. Spent about $300 over 2 years above routine maintenance which is not bad. Bought truck with 30,000 and now have 50,000. Overall like the dodge (this is my 3rd) and I think dodge gets a bad rap most prof. reviewers (consumer ratings are always higher).

Beauty, Brawn and Bling
By Family Hauler on 05/14/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This 2003 SLT 4.7L is my second Durango. I previously had a 2000 SLT with 5.9L V8. I bought this one used with 49K miles Dodge Certified (still bought the extended warranty)and have now passed through 83K with only one $200 repair for an emissions control sensor. Truthfully, the gas mileage isn't great, but the 4.7 L is much better than the 5.9 L I had in the 2000. I recently added an after market cold air intake system ($230- 279) from K&N or Airaide. The K&N are Calif Air Resource Board (CARB) exempt, meaning street legal in all 50 states and comes with documentation. They promised a +8hp. I got +2-3 mpg with improved throttle response, and meatier underhood sound.

Not Good, But Not Bad
By SBF on 02/25/08 00:23 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the truck used, had 52k on it. Comfortable ride, good looks, and compliments from a lot of people. Really like this design, the '04 and up look too square and bulky. Interior is designed well. Gas mileage is normal for a 5.9L V8 about 15-17 mpg on the highway. Disappointed that the water pump went out at 59k. Cruise control is acting up too, but nothing I can't fix. With gas prices soaring and seeming to never quit, will consider a crossover for a next SUV, no reason to have a V8 powered SUV, don't do any towing and the it's the wife's daily driver.

Liked it so much bought another
By rmoore on 01/10/08 17:28 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle for my wife several years ago. It was a 1999 with a 318 cid. This thing is a horse. Plenty of power when you need it. Although the third seat is only big enough for young kids it has great space. The looks of this truck is great. Traded it in on a mini-van. Worst mistake I have ever made. So I just bought our second, it is a 2003 and it is even better than the one we had before. I personally have never had any problems with a Dodge vehicle. Luck of the draw? Maybe, but this is a quality truck.

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4
By Dodge Man on 10/09/06 08:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is the best on i've owned. The truck before this was a Ford exporer and I can't believe the difference. Dodge has done a wonderful job with their SUV and I'm a buyer forever

Worst car I have even owned!
By Jennifer on 10/05/06 08:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the worst vechile I have ever owned. I bought it brand new and have had to bring it to the dealer 10 times to fix non-routine maintence items. Brakes went out, check engine light is on all the time and the dealership can't fix it (brought in 5 times), AC broke twice, wind shield wiper motors broke. Only 40K miles! I wouldn't wish this SUV on my worst enemy.

Never Again
By George on 07/29/06 14:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Owned R/T for several months now and regret trading in my Infiniti for it. Had 32K when purchased and had tie rod problems from the day I drove off lot. Wife broke down 3 days after purchase. Went back to have driver side window switch replaced due to failure, Window came off track At 44k transmission started slipping on highway at 65mph. Took to dealer and whole transmission needed to be replaced over $2k. Lucky I bought extended warranty but still cost me $425 out of pocket. Still doesn't feel right. Slips now when rear end hits any bump on highway. I am going with my wife this week to get rid of it and buy a foreign car. American cars are just not up to the quality level.

Love my Durango
By hart on 07/03/06 13:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I enjoy my Dodge Durango 4.7 auto 4x4 air and all the xtras! I have figured out how to get over 20 plus on fuel mileage. This has me sold on further Dodge investments

Nice Ride
By NICE RIDE on 01/31/06 20:27 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car about a year and a half ago. it barely had 14000 miles on it and was in perfect condition. I paid $15.5k for it and got it for a steal. I had heard a lot of bad things about the Durangos but for the price, I could not pass it up. I have driven this car across the country twice and have not had ANY problems with it.

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4x4 4.7L
By wizz on 11/25/05 18:33 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a SXT model with the small 4.7 v8 and was getting around 18-19mpg hwy, till I installed a magnaflow powerpack muffler and a cold air intake. Now I'm getting around 380-400 miles to a tank full of 24 gals. That's strictly highway though. But when you kick down into passing gear you can feel a huge difference in power and almost watch the fuel needle go down. 0-60/6.1sec--1/4mile/15.42. 3.55axle 265/70x16 tires. Can't wait to see what happens when I put headers on and tune it. Love that 4.7!