Used 2003 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Hands-down: This truck is a winner !
By bigdaddy61

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new and the love affair I've had with it hasn't dimmed since. I wanted something that could haul a car trailer & my '67 Fury, as well as maneuver well in the snowy N.Eastern PA mountains in winter. This truck has surpassed every expectation I had. While the mpg. aren't great, it wasn't a factor since I commute by rail 5 days a week. When I travel to the mountains with my 150# dog, luggage, and 3 other people - this truck still gets it done. Comfortably. With 150K on the clock, I've only replaced a fuel pump. I love this truck so much, i can't bear to trade it in. I've promised it to my mechanic, who admires it as much as I do. Say what you want about Dodge, I LOVE mine.

Favorite Features

Leather seats get better with age, like an old pair of boots. Stoping on the accelerator with the 5.9 (360 cu.in.) motor STILL thrills me to death - and this 5,000 pound hauler still handles like a sports car. Some fit & finish issues are cropping up after 8 years, but I haven't loved a car this much, enough to keep it 8+ years, since the 80's. It's just a good, old, American Dodge truck.

Suggested Improvements

By now, i'm hoping Chrysler has figured out a way to eek out more respectable miles per gallon, and I surmise this was one of the reasons that the new (2011) Durango was based on the Grand Cherokee platform.

Good car
By cincykayaker

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got screwed by the dealership... The sold me a demo saying they were going to discount it $2k and then they secretly added it back in and smooth-talked me into believing they were honest until I went home and double checked the math. But this car has been reliable as hell even though it has been a gas hog. I blame the dealership and Dodge Headquarters for not responding to my complaint... but the vehicle itself is not to blame.

Favorite Features

Reliability, This car had the AC blower motor go out... I swapped the tires and the battery... in EIGHT YEARS. Seriously that is it. Real Off-Road Worthy vehicle... I went off-road... and I don't mean "across a farm field" but through creeks and up steep inclines etc... and this thing kept up and didn't lose it's grip... I was actually surprised at some points at how well it handled it compared to the land rover etc I was following that had been jacked up a little and had special tires on it.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat doesn't fold flat... it folds semi-flat... more ramp like. It should fold flat and take up less space when folded. I also think the luggage rack should have been name brand or at least fit name-brand accessories... like Yakima or Thule... cross cars should have been straighter rather than arched. Gas mileage is abysmal. 13 City and 17 highway WHEN NEW... without kayaks on the roof. This is seriously the ONLY reason I look for new cars. besides that I am completely happy... if someone said "I can drop you 50 horsepower but get you 5 MPG" I would probably keep it. Better AC unit... but it improved dramatically over stock with the replacement blower... illogical but true.

Amazing Durango!!
By rms2011

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 Durango new and have been driving it ever since. I drive alot and have put 240k miles on this SUV. It has been a great car! Great for pulling our horse trailer, hauling kids and as day to day work vehicle. I change the oil every 3k miles or so and other than normal maintenance I have had NO problems. Prior to the Durango I usually did not buy American cars...but the Durango changed my mind! I just bought a new car and bought another American made car. (smaller car, better gas mileage than the SUV) I'm keeping the Durango around too...how many miles can you go Durango!! Love our Durango...thanks Dodge!

Favorite Features

Interior space is amazing! I can load alot of stuff in this car!

In love
By Dennysgirl09

2003 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have always owned Mini-Vans and we had a Ford Explorer, Never again. I am so in love with this SUV. Yeah gas millage is low but it's worth it to me because this is just such a cool and fun SUV to drive. Handles like a dream, rain or shine. I haul kids every where so dependability and room along with comfort are a most and I got all that and then some.

Favorite Features

Room, having 4 door, sound system. There's just nothing I don't love about it.

Suggested Improvements

If the back glass opened that would be a plus but it's never gonna deter me from my new love, my Durango!

Excellent Rig
By I Love My Durango

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Fine, the mpg isn't great but what it lacks in that dept. it makes up for in every other category. Had I known how great Durangos are when they were introduced I wouldn't have waited until 07 to buy my 03. It's great! Plenty of power from the 4.7 (enough to tow my 68 Charger project on a flat bed), excellent turning radius, very reliable and just plain fun to drive. From deep snow to dry pavement the Durango handles it all. A dead battery and window moulding are the only issues I've had in more than 2.5 years of ownership. I can haul 8 people with the front buddy seat up and even managed to get a large dining table, six chairs and four people in it once. I just love it. It's a 4x4 muscle car.

Favorite Features

Power, reliability, turning radius, style, toughness, almost everything.

Suggested Improvements

That opening back glass is a good suggestion. MPG could obviously be better. Go back to the 98-03 body style although the 09s are starting to look better now.