Used 2003 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Durango Devil
By Bigbillelliotfan

2003 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Refreshing for an American built SUV. Ride is somewhat sporty and pretty predictable in manuvering. Good bang for the buck with a touch of German quality and engineering. Almost has a "hotrod" appeal.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine with a complimenting exhaust note. Super smooth transmission and responsive but stable rack and pinion steering. 4-wheel disc brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Add a floor mounted "Slapstick" shifter. Remove unessary running boards. Add a moonroof & padded dash. Far rear windows should pop out like Caravan's.

Last one
By Durango 1

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This is one of the wrost SUV's I have ever owned. This will be my last Dodge after 30 of Dodges. After renting a both Ford and Chevy SUV's for both road and off road, the Dodge does not compare in quailty. Enginee Problems (I use Mobil 1) bad handeling in the wind and I'm lucky to get 15 - 20 up mountain interstate. 18 wheelers pass me. The dealers have no idea of what the problem is. This is my 2nd and my last bad Dodge.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Ford or Chevy!

almost perfect
By Bassman

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

awsome to drive,turning rato is great. very roomy and the seats are comfortable, all radio and instrument switches are easy to get at.

Favorite Features

fold down seats, roomy ceter consol, good towing package with large merrors.

Suggested Improvements

needs a thicker hood skin, put a dent in hood with my elbow trying to wash windsheld. needs a better gasket around transmission, 2nd time I had a transmission leak.

Run... Don't get one!
By andiz

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased on May 6, 2003... I did enjoy it for the 1st 5 weeks.. However, at 4200 miles it had an engine change rather than an oil change ... intermittant loss of power and problems with the transmission sliping, and multiple other problems with 2nd engine... did the obligatory oil change at 7200 (3400)miles... But then at 13000 miles the vehicle needed another engine. Dealer said "not their problem", call Chrysler... Chrysler refused to deal with the issue saying "Call the Dealer"

Favorite Features

Looked really nice and had a really nice 6 CD Changer installed... just didn't run... music was great though!

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to improve reliability of its major components (engine)and they also need a major rehaul of their "Customer Satisfaction Service" because it is non-existant at this point.

RIDES AS GOOD AS OUR LEXUS DID
By JDCAR

2003 Dodge Durango SLT Plus Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

THIS HAS BEEN A REAL TREAT. WE LOVE THIS VEHICLE! IT RIDES AS GOOD AS OUR LEXUS. WE GOT RID OF OUR RODEO (good suv),I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE QUALITY OF THIS SUV. I HAVE BEEN IN THE CAR BUSINESS FOR 25 YEARS AND RECENTLY RETIRED BECAUSE OF HEALTH REASONS. I FIND IT VERY EASY FOR ME TO GET IN AND OUT OF. AND PLENTY OF STORAGE FOR MY WHEELCHAIR.

Favorite Features

QUALITY OF RIDE,IMPRESSIVE POWER

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE...NOT TERRBLE,BUT COULD BE BETTER