Used 2003 Dodge Durango R/T SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Hands-down: This truck is a winner !
By bigdaddy61

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new and the love affair I've had with it hasn't dimmed since. I wanted something that could haul a car trailer & my '67 Fury, as well as maneuver well in the snowy N.Eastern PA mountains in winter. This truck has surpassed every expectation I had. While the mpg. aren't great, it wasn't a factor since I commute by rail 5 days a week. When I travel to the mountains with my 150# dog, luggage, and 3 other people - this truck still gets it done. Comfortably. With 150K on the clock, I've only replaced a fuel pump. I love this truck so much, i can't bear to trade it in. I've promised it to my mechanic, who admires it as much as I do. Say what you want about Dodge, I LOVE mine.

Leather seats get better with age, like an old pair of boots. Stoping on the accelerator with the 5.9 (360 cu.in.) motor STILL thrills me to death - and this 5,000 pound hauler still handles like a sports car. Some fit & finish issues are cropping up after 8 years, but I haven't loved a car this much, enough to keep it 8+ years, since the 80's. It's just a good, old, American Dodge truck.

By now, i'm hoping Chrysler has figured out a way to eek out more respectable miles per gallon, and I surmise this was one of the reasons that the new (2011) Durango was based on the Grand Cherokee platform.

Sleeper
By moparman

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Durango. It's fast, looks good, very easy to drive (once you have owned it for about a week). Lots of power, great AWD system. Has everything but a sunroof.

That 5.9 motor look and feel. It's a suv that thinks it's a sports car.

MPG has to be the biggest dow fall of the Durangos and price of tires for the r/t

Never Again
By George

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Owned R/T for several months now and regret trading in my Infiniti for it. Had 32K when purchased and had tie rod problems from the day I drove off lot. Wife broke down 3 days after purchase. Went back to have driver side window switch replaced due to failure, Window came off track At 44k transmission started slipping on highway at 65mph. Took to dealer and whole transmission needed to be replaced over $2k. Lucky I bought extended warranty but still cost me $425 out of pocket. Still doesn't feel right. Slips now when rear end hits any bump on highway. I am going with my wife this week to get rid of it and buy a foreign car. American cars are just not up to the quality level.

Lots of pwer. That's about it.

Reliability. Transmission failure at 44k is unacceptable, Amrest storage button always failing. Broken window switch and now off track. Buy extended warranty if you get any Durango. Gas milege is worse you think it will be.

Good truck for me
By Joe

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV and I am very pleased with the performance, handling, and looks of the vehicle. Although I am skeptical from reading other reviews, I have had no problems with the vehicle. I purchased a 24 foot enclosed race car trailer (with stabalizing bars and sway bar control) and have had no problem with towing power, weight of 7300lbs. My only complaint is the narrowness of the vehicle. Even with adding extended mirrors it is difficult to see around the trailer. Due other reviews in Edmunds, I opted to buy the full extended service warranty. Looked at an '05 Expedition and my Durango had more interior cargo length (not width) and was easier to load.

Interior, heated seats, Infinity sound system, third row seating, suede/leather seats. Power. Quick off the line.

Dodge should do a better job backing their vehicles and service warranty

Last one
By Durango 1

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This is one of the wrost SUV's I have ever owned. This will be my last Dodge after 30 of Dodges. After renting a both Ford and Chevy SUV's for both road and off road, the Dodge does not compare in quailty. Enginee Problems (I use Mobil 1) bad handeling in the wind and I'm lucky to get 15 - 20 up mountain interstate. 18 wheelers pass me. The dealers have no idea of what the problem is. This is my 2nd and my last bad Dodge.

None